Any pictures?

It's big pointy Native5.

Specifications:
  • Overall Length: 23,1 cm / 9.09 inches
  • Blade Length: 10,4 cm / 4.09 inches
  • Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
  • Weight: 76 grams / 2.68 ounces

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_inhand-1.jpg

Ikuchi CPM-S30V CF/G-10 Laminate (Taiwan) has started to trickle in at some dealers.

Been waiting on this knife. Just looked on Spyderco's website which said that it was "still coming" yesterday. Just looked today and it's now listed in the "new" page but "out of stock." Also still listed as "out of stock" at the usual suspects but did find it offered at full MSRP at one site, where it's supposedly in stock.

Guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer more. LOL! ;)

PS: There's one available right now (Collectors Club #-012) offered for sale right now for $175 on EB. Think his is one of the Drunken's being offered for sale there right now too.

Last edited:
Uhh humm? The paysan? I emailed spyderco in July of 2018 and while they said nothings for sure they said end of September of 2018 was their guess as per the paysan release..... Well here we are March 30 of 2019 and?????? Talk about a shitty guess haha. This shit is getting stupid. I wish I didnt want one..... I'm close though I'll say that. Spyderco releases waaaaay to many knives imho.

I wish I didnt want one..... I'm close though I'll say that. Spyderco releases waaaaay to many knives imho.

Frankly, I think this is the "secret" to their success.

Spyderco makes all kinds of knives that appeal to different kinds of people.

No one wants to buy ALL of them (I think RamZar posted that there were around 80+ new releases in 2018) but they tap different markets. They sell their knives to a wide array of people, just like Kershaw and CRKT do but, while Kershaw and CRKT, stick primarily to the lower end, Spyderco also hits the mid-market (where ZT is) and now also the upper end w/the Drunken, Subvert and Paysan (competing w/the likes of CRK).

This is actually a very smart multi-tiered marketing strategy that they probably paid some very high priced MBAs to come up with.

PS: I don't think that it is an intentional part of their marketing strategy but I also think that their early release teasers about upcoming products (and the delayed release dates for those products) also increases demand for those products, which almost always seem to sell out initially which of course increases demand even more for that item -- just look at the Smock and Drunken for examples of that.

They've certainly got me hooked, I've bought over 100 of their knives, both old and new, and I continue to buy more.

Well done, Sal! ;)

Last edited:
Frankly, I think this is the "secret" to their success.

Spyderco makes all kinds of knives that appeal to different kinds of people.

No one wants to buy ALL of them (I think RamZar posted that there were around new releases in 2018) but they tap different markets. They sell their knives to a wide array of people, just like Kershaw and CRKT do but, while Kershaw and CRKT, stick primarily to the lower end, Spyderco also hits the mid-market (where ZT is) and now also the upper end w/the Drunken, Subvert and Paysan (competing w/the likes of CRK).

This is actually a very smart multi-tiered marketing strategy that they probably paid some very high priced MBAs to come up with.

PS: I don't think that it is an intentional part of their marketing strategy but I also think that. early release teasers about upcoming products (and the delayed release dates for those products) also increases a pent up demand for those products, which almost always seem to sell out initially which of course increases demand for more of that item -- just look at the Smock and Drunken for examples of that.

They've certainly got me hooked, I've bought over 100 of their knives, both old and new, and I continue to buy more.

Well done, Sal! ;)
I agree completely with your main point. I love that Spyderco continues to release knives that many consider odd, because someone will see each of those odd knives as just what he’s been waiting for. I think this approach also has helped them bring unusual elements to knives with broader appeal, like recently the Smock, Kapara, and Ikuchi.

I hope they didn't pay MBAs good money for the idea. Adding too many skus is something MBAs are good at. It's a double edge sword, and can literally sink a company right quick. Seen it happen to many a growing business.

The native chief is sweet. Imagine a Shaman chief? Just a bigboi Shaman

All do respect I dont care whats good for spyderco, no offense, I care about my interests as a customer, and waiting 18 months for a release is objectively bullshit. I mean do you know how many trade shows ive seen this knife bein whipped out of glessers pockets? Still cant buy one!!! I get it, build the anticipation but now it just looks thirsty. Don't bust out a blade at a tradeahow if we cant buy it kinda soonish. I'm reasonable, I know stuff comes up, but like I said above, its getting dumb with this release.

I'm going to hazard a guess that one of the reasons the release schedule and announcement method has changed is knives like the Paysan. So yes, I get that its annoying to be waiting for something like this, but they can't fix that, they can only fix it for the future. Sal and Eric seem to be really responsive to the market, and how their customers want to be marketed to, but also they are a big company and so they can't just make changes whenever the whim catches them.
It seems like the market is again really liking the LW knives, and so they are trying to get more on the market. That makes sense, but its also a big process. From the sounds of it they have been working on LW compression locks for a very long time, trying to make it work.
I don't think that delays are intentional. Missing release dates is never good, and while sometimes it can drive demand, it also alienates fans, and sometimes that demand evaporates because another company fills the demand first. In fact announcing a release too early can kill short term sales. Less a risk for Spyderco since they cover so many categories, but some knives might loose sales while people wait for the new one. Its called the Osborne Effect, and it looks like its what just took Hudson Mfg down. Something delayed the Paysan, and maybe it was as simple as scaling production. Maybe something just wasn't coming in right, not much they can do with that.

Added to the Upcoming list:

• Police4 VG-10 Black FRN (Japan)
  • Endela VG-10 Black FRN (Japan)
  • Dragonfly2 Emerson Opener VG-10 Green FRN (Japan)
  • Dragonfly2 VG-10 Wharncliffe Black FRN (Japan)

Added to the Upcoming list:

• Sage5 CPM-S30V Black FRN (Taiwan)
  • Small Efficient 8Cr13MoV Black G-10 (China)
  • Emphasis 8Cr13MoV Black G-10 (China)

Added to the Upcoming List:

Native Chief CPM-S30V Black G-10 (USA)
What in the hell? These models actually look really nice! Especially that Chief, and if I remember correctly, the Chief is not a new concept, right? Could've sworn I saw a picture of a prototype, or earlier model in a photo before on how the native was developed.
I like my native, but that handle on the Chief looks to have more room for big hands, if that gets a premium steel, say M4, I might have to grab one!

Seems like Spyderco want to make it known that they aren't afraid of putting G10 models in their frn forms, I wonder, does this mean there will be a FRN Pm2?

Seems like Spyderco want to make it known that they aren't afraid of putting G10 models in their frn forms, I wonder, does this mean there will be a FRN Pm2?
I think that is definitely upcoming. They already have the Para lightweight coming. I bet the PM2 will get the same treatment, and I can also see one in S110V coming.

Back