Spyderco 2019 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

I completely agree. I'll probably never preorder again. That said I don't hold BHQ, or any of the other online retailers accountable. If they don't receive the product from spyderco they can't sell it and since they're a retailer I'm assuming they want to sell! I hold spyderco one of my favorite knife companies responsible.

I don't "blame" anyone for anything. I just think that the "problems" that we, as consumers, sometimes experience as it relates to the release and availability of Spyderco knives is simply confusing.

Why is it, for example, that certain knives are available at dealers and on EB, but shown "out of stock" on Spyderco's website at the same time. This is happening right now w/the Ikuchi. Why was it that I could buy it from DLT but not Spyderco? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Seems to me if Spyderco had enough Ikuchis to send out to dealers, they would have reserved a sufficient quantity of the knives to sell itself online and at their factory store to avoid running out but that's apparently not the case. This is just confusing to me.

So far this year I have gotten a Kapara, a Drunken, and an Ikuchi. Only kept the Drunken. Now, where in the heck is the Paysan?

So far this year I have gotten a Kapara, a Drunken, and an Ikuchi. Only kept the Drunken. Now, where in the heck is the Paysan?

I've gotten the Tropen, Amalgam, Smock, Drunken and Ikuchi so far this year.

Wasn't interested in the Kapara and still am not because the way it's described is like a gloried kitchen knife. Already have a lot those. Also am not interested in the Paysan; too rich for my blood and it's an all Ti knife which I am not fond of either.

However, I am still awaiting the Parata which is one of the few knives (along w/the Paysan) that were announced in early/mid 2018 that still has yet to be released. It is designed by Paul Alexander w/a large blade head and thin tang similiar to the Ourobours that he also designed which will be the 4th Spyderco knife attributed to him along w/the Silverax and Ikuchi. The Dialex Jr. shares a similar blade shape but it is the work of Alexandru Diaconescu, who also designed a couple of other "unique" knives, the Battlestation and Adventura, which are "unconventional" to say the least.

I'll have no problem buying a Parata at an MSRP/Retail price of $275/$178 but the MSRP/Retail price of $800/$520 for the Paysan will be a very easy pass for me.

See:
KnifeNews - Spyderco Models Still Due To Ship in 2018 (July 2018)
Spyderco Forum - Amsterdam Meet Report (March 2018)

Last edited:
I've gotten the Tropen, Amalgam, Smock, Drunken and Ikuchi so far this year.

Wasn't interested in the Kapara and still am not because the way it's described is like a gloried kitchen knife. Already have a lot those. Also am not interested in the Paysan; too rich for my blood and it's an all Ti knife which I am not fond of either.

However, I am still awaiting the Parata which is one of the few knives (along w/the Paysan) that were announced in early/mid 2018 that still has yet to be released.
It's an odd design w/the large blade head and thin tang, that is similar to the Ouroboros that is designed by Paul Alexander who also designed the Ikuchi and Silverax, with a unique stop lock. The Dialex Jr. shares a similar blade but it is the work of Alexandru Diaconescu, who has also designed a couple of other "unique" knives, the Battlestation and Adventura, which are "unconventional" to say the least.

I'll no problem buying a Parata at an MSRP/Retail price of only $275/$178.25 but I'll have no problem passing on a Paysan at an MSRP/Retail price $800/520 for the Paysan.

See:

KnifeNews - Spyderco Models Still Due To Ship in 2018 (July 2018)
Spyderco Forum - Amsterdam Meet Report (March 2018)

The one in the picture you posted looks like a dedicated skinning knife.

I like the looks of the Paysan but think it would be better (for me) if it had more texture. I know what they were going for though and thats why it is like it is. It looks like a spyderco iteration of a CRK, and if I was going to go that way, personally I'd rather have the spyderco. It is kinda steep though so I'll never have one unfortunately, but many will.

The one in the picture you posted looks like a dedicated skinning knife.

Yes, it does.

You can see more pre-production photos of it in the March 2018 Amsterdam link that I posted above. It's one of those knives that I'd buy just for the design; not to use.

I've got quite a few of those. So, that's nothing new to me.

I'd buy it just to "complete" the group of Alexander designed Spydercos, which would include the Ouroboros, Silverax, Ikuchi and Parata, and because of its similarity to the Ourboros and Dialex Jr. It's unique locking mechanism also gives me another reason to buy it.

However, it would not surprise me if the knife is not all that popular when it is finally released because the blade/handle shape don't look all that practical for EDC use.

Last edited:
It's big pointy Native5.

Specifications:
  • Overall Length: 23,1 cm / 9.09 inches
  • Blade Length: 10,4 cm / 4.09 inches
  • Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
  • Weight: 76 grams / 2.68 ounces

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_inhand-1.jpg

/\ THIS PLEASE!!! /\

What didn't you like about the Kapara? I have a SpydieChef which I love, and I wonder whether I'd like either the Kapara or the Drunken as much or more.

What didn't you like about the Kapara? I have a SpydieChef which I love, and I wonder whether I'd like either the Kapara or the Drunken as much or more.
I like the kapara blade but hate how they implemented the compression lock into it. Not to mention a few of us got bad compression locks that were way too stiff. It was just in a very thin area of the handle also. The blade though is a slicer. A nice change in the world of overly thick tactical knives. It's amazing to use.

The Drunken is nice cause it's a frame lock with a decent blade that is thin behind the edge. But not near as slicey as the kapara. The framelock makes it function better for opening and closing. Both good knives but not fidgeting knives in the least. I think of them like a sebenza action wise but not really.

I like the kapara blade but hate how they implemented the compression lock into it. Not to mention a few of us got bad compression locks that were way too stiff. It was just in a very thin area of the handle also. The blade though is a slicer. A nice change in the world of overly thick tactical knives. It's amazing to use.

The Drunken is nice cause it's a frame lock with a decent blade that is thin behind the edge. But not near as slicey as the kapara. The framelock makes it function better for opening and closing. Both good knives but not fidgeting knives in the least. I think of them like a sebenza action wise but not really.
Thanks. So far I haven’t heard or seen anything that makes me regret having a SpydieChef as my go-to slicer instead of either of those.

It made short work of my tamales today.
HEOnDuf.jpg

A $200 SpydieChef to cut a tamale? Really? Whatever floats your boat but, FWIW, I think you could have done just as well w/a complementary plastic knife. LOL!! ;)

A $200 SpydieChef to cut a tamale? Really? Whatever floats your boat but, FWIW, I think you could have done just as well w/a complementary plastic knife. LOL!! ;)
Hey, it was a very dense tamale. Any excuse to use the knife in my pocket.

Besides, those plastic knives are too thick behind the edge, and the squared off handle gives me too many hot spots, although the blade spine is nicely chamfered.

Plastic is polluting the ocean. Spydiechefs are the only solution.

The only problem with using a Spyderco knife to cut food in conjunction with a plastic fork is the possibility of accidentally cutting the tines right off your fork. Go ahead--ask me how I know!!!

tenor.gif

Really, the only good reason NOT to use a Spydiechef on one’s tamale is because Kapara —> Burrito is a much better choice. (no disrespect to Mo2 Mo2 )

Really, the only good reason NOT to use a Spydiechef on one’s tamale is because Kapara —> Burrito is a much better choice. (no disrespect to Mo2 Mo2 )

Looks like a decent knife but enlighten me why you need to cut the Burrito? Watch how the late Charlie Mike ate a Burrito please.

Looks like a decent knife but enlighten me why you need to cut the Burrito? Watch how the late Charlie Mike ate a Burrito please.
In the shot with my SpydieChef: Not a burrito – a tamale. (Hay una gran diferencia.) It's traditional to eat it with a fork. For the uninitiated, please remove the husk first.

Last edited:
I don't "blame" anyone for anything. I just think that the "problems" that we, as consumers, sometimes experience as it relates to the release and availability of Spyderco knives is simply confusing.

Why is it, for example, that certain knives are available at dealers and on EB, but shown "out of stock" on Spyderco's website at the same time. This is happening right now w/the Ikuchi. Why was it that I could buy it from DLT but not Spyderco? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Seems to me if Spyderco had enough Ikuchis to send out to dealers, they would have reserved a sufficient quantity of the knives to sell itself online and at their factory store to avoid running out but that's apparently not the case. This is just confusing to me.
I suspect because of the way Spyderco works they'll always feed their dealers first before stocking their store. Especially with a potentially hot knife even their higher price would have some folks complaining they didn't get enough of a model. There was one guy on here a month ago super bitter about what I belive was Eric's wife selling non-current sprints and stuff on eBay. He felt all those extras should have been sent to his store.

Back