Spyderco 2019 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Not my image
K2-Wi-PIV-d.jpg

I expect the upcoming Taichung knives to be delivered by the end of March 2019:
  1. Drunken CPM-S90V Titanium/CF (Taiwan)
  2. Ikuchi CPM-S30V CF/G-10 Laminate (Taiwan)
  3. Paysan CPM-S90V Titanium (Taiwan)
  4. Province CPM-4V Black G-10 (Taiwan)

Abel Reel has now shipped about 50 of their exclusive Native5 folders:

• Native5 LC200N Aluminum Rainbow Trout Abel Reels (USA)
  • Native5 LC200N Aluminum Brown Trout Abel Reels (USA)
  • Native5 LC200N Aluminum Bonefish Abel Reels (USA)

spyderco-group.jpg

Wow! $495 for a Native 5 w/a 3" LC200N blade and anodized fish scale graphics? Hmm???

Well, I'm glad I don't like fishing but it certainly would make a great gift for that special fisherman in your life. ;)

A representative of Abel Reels responded on the Spyderco Forum about the labor-intensive nature of hand-anodizing the aluminum scales.

“Hello all,

I work at Abel Reels, and wanted to clear up some confusion I've seen on the forums.

I'm excited to see the enthusiasm around the Abel NativeExclusive edition blade. However, it appears as if there's some misconception around what this product (and our anodize process) actually is.

Abel is a premium fly reel manufacturer, and over the past 20 years has perfected a very unique process of manual polishing and artistic anodize, performed 100% by human hand. We hand polish aluminum parts on buffing wheels to a mirror finish before our anodize process. There is no actual "paint" involved in our process, however we do use paint brushes (and sponges, q-tips, proprietary techniques, etc) to hand-manipulate the anodize chemical dyes and create realistic fish patterns and other graphics (think traditional aluminum anodize meets dying easter eggs by hand).

The process can take up to 4 to 12 labor hours to complete per product, depending on the graphic. Recreating artwork in metal often takes longer than the original artwork takes to create. The cost is significant, all done 100% in the USA. The results are extremely vivid graphics put into the metal surface by hand.....it is Type II anodize, not paint. Our anodize durable, and doesn't rub off. As long as you don't scratch the metal, the anodize plating is intact, and will last a lifetime.

Due to the labor involved, the price reflects our costs, and there's only a modest markup on the product. While I appreciate that this product doesn't suit all people, there are many people that do value our process and what our brand stands for. Our first production run is already pre-sold and we're into our second. We feel that Spyderco, and their commitment to quality and performance, are and excellent fit for this beautiful collaboration.

The knives start shipping later in February.

Thanks again for all of your interest! We are passionate about what we do and love it when others enjoy our work.”

A representative of Abel Reels responded on the Spyderco Forum about the labor-intensive nature of hand-anodizing the aluminum scales.

“Hello all,

I work at Abel Reels, and wanted to clear up some confusion I've seen on the forums.

I'm excited to see the enthusiasm around the Abel NativeExclusive edition blade. However, it appears as if there's some misconception around what this product (and our anodize process) actually is.

Abel is a premium fly reel manufacturer, and over the past 20 years has perfected a very unique process of manual polishing and artistic anodize, performed 100% by human hand. We hand polish aluminum parts on buffing wheels to a mirror finish before our anodize process. There is no actual "paint" involved in our process, however we do use paint brushes (and sponges, q-tips, proprietary techniques, etc) to hand-manipulate the anodize chemical dyes and create realistic fish patterns and other graphics (think traditional aluminum anodize meets dying easter eggs by hand).

The process can take up to 4 to 12 labor hours to complete per product, depending on the graphic. Recreating artwork in metal often takes longer than the original artwork takes to create. The cost is significant, all done 100% in the USA. The results are extremely vivid graphics put into the metal surface by hand.....it is Type II anodize, not paint. Our anodize durable, and doesn't rub off. As long as you don't scratch the metal, the anodize plating is intact, and will last a lifetime.

Due to the labor involved, the price reflects our costs, and there's only a modest markup on the product. While I appreciate that this product doesn't suit all people, there are many people that do value our process and what our brand stands for. Our first production run is already pre-sold and we're into our second. We feel that Spyderco, and their commitment to quality and performance, are and excellent fit for this beautiful collaboration.

The knives start shipping later in February.

Thanks again for all of your interest! We are passionate about what we do and love it when others enjoy our work.”
Congratulations on your first-run success! These remind me of all the rainbow and brown trout I caught growing up in Pennsylvania.

I love that Spyderco offers unique products such as these — well, maybe not many just such as these, as they are uniquely beautiful. But Spyderco make several knives that clearly are not for everybody, yet each distinctive knife has great appeal for someone.

1. Endura4 VG-10 Wharncliffe PlainEdge Black FRN (Japan)
  2. Endura4 VG-10 Wharncliffe SpyderEdge Black FRN (Japan)
  3. Efficient 8Cr13MoV Black Blade PlainEdge Black G-10 (China)
  4. Efficient 8Cr13MoV Black Blade ComboEdge Black G-10 (China)
These are showing up in stock at some dealers today

In stock at some dealers:

• Endura4 VG-10 Wharncliffe PlainEdge Black FRN (Japan)
  • Endura4 VG-10 Wharncliffe SpyderEdge Black FRN (Japan)
  • Efficient 8Cr13MoV Black Blade PlainEdge Black G-10 (China)
  • Efficient 8Cr13MoV Black Blade ComboEdge Black G-10 (China)

spyderco-endura-4-wharncliffe-black-frn-plain-edge-vg-10-c10fpwcbk-32.jpg

spyderco-endura-4-wharncliffe-black-frn-serrated-edge-vg-10-c10fswcbk-32.jpg

spyderco-efficient-black-g10-black-blade-c216gpbbk-32.jpg

spyderco-efficient-black-g10-black-serrated-blade-c216gpsbbk-32.jpg

The wharny Delica is tall enough for me. Not sure aboout a wharny Endura. Why in this age we still see 8cr13mov?

That is insanely impressive :eek: and definitely justified the price. Those are art knives.
For me, art knives are fines so long as I can actually use them. Unfortunately, unless I am wrong, merely carrying those knives in my pocket is going to negatively impact their graphics.

For me, art knives are fines so long as I can actually use them. Unfortunately, unless I am wrong, merely carrying those knives in my pocket is going to negatively impact their graphics.

If you carry it with no other metal objects in your pocket you should be fine. Like Abel Reels said: “As long as you don't scratch the metal, the anodize plating is intact, and will last a lifetime.”.

The wharny Delica is tall enough for me. Not sure aboout a wharny Endura. Why in this age we still see 8cr13mov?

I’m sure it’s to keep the cost down but I wonder how much more it would’ve cost with VG-10 instead.

I’m sure it’s to keep the cost down but I wonder how much more it would’ve cost with VG-10 instead.

There is a poster asking about the cost of ZT in another thread. I think the material cost is small so I tend to think the material cost difference between vg10 and 8cr is even more minimal. Moving vg10 to China may cost more though.

I wish they would make a plain aluminum Native Salt.

From what I ascertain about Abel their slogan should be “fancy fishing reels for rich guys”!

There is a poster asking about the cost of ZT in another thread. I think the material cost is small so I tend to think the material cost difference between vg10 and 8cr is even more minimal. Moving vg10 to China may cost more though.

There’s no shortage of VG-10 in knives made in China by Kizer, WE, Boker, CIVIVI, etc.

Back