Spyderco Advocate bearing Race A total Failure..

By routine maintenance.^
I never had to take a folder apart to clean it but that's just me.
rolf

I'm with you, Rolf. I used to think disassembly was necessary but now, IMO, I really don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To all the "I'll never buy..." comments. To each his own. But keep in mind, nothing is free, including warranty. It is (more) heavily factored into the price of some of the brands.

I know bearing systems can be and are done well in knives. But this kind of stuff just reinforces my thought that it's overcomplicating a simple tool and asking for problems. I will continue to pass on any knife with bearings.

I'm with you, Rolf. I used to think disassembly was necessary but now, IMO, I really don't think so.

I wish I knew how. As routine maintenance, once or twice a year, I'll disassemble, clean, polish. Only when the pivot area is gunked up.

I wish I knew how. As routine maintenance, once or twice a year, I'll disassemble, clean, polish. Only when the pivot area is gunked up.

I use a water hose. I have a number of knives that stay covered in fish blood and guts 365 days a year. I blow them out with a garden hose and hit em with a little wd40 now and again. None of them have ever been disassembled. Some of them are years old and show no rust or corrosion and the action is as smooth as when they were new. I'm not against taking a knife apart if you enjoy it but I've never found it necessary for maintenance. YMMV

I will try to keep shiny footprints, because I think we all want a solution to the perceived issues. Since several companies make flippers with bearings the size of the companies doesn't matter. The way the knife and bearing is assembled each company has their own spin on it, no pun intended honestly. CRKT mainly uses steel liners and IKBS so no real problem. Kai has put their bearing right against titanium (without a washer) and blade. Does this work well? I'm asking because I don't hear anything against it. Spyderco has added a washer on the titanium side for what everyone views as to prevent the titanium from galling. All makers are capable of very tight tolerances. I assume the titanium that both use is not very different from one another. So is the washer needed if KAI can make it work (other than filling the space). Are their pivots different for one to not have a washer and one to see the need for one? I may have oversimplified the discussion but I hope it can at least bring insight from other people more knowledgeable in the knife making area. Since Sal said they are working on it I am interested in what happens. I haven't bought the Advocate yet for this reason.

I will try to keep shiny footprints, because I think we all want a solution to the perceived issues. Since several companies make flippers with bearings the size of the companies doesn't matter. The way the knife and bearing is assembled each company has their own spin on it, no pun intended honestly. CRKT mainly uses steel liners and IKBS so no real problem. Kai has put their bearing right against titanium (without a washer) and blade. Does this work well? I'm asking because I don't hear anything against it. Spyderco has added a washer on the titanium side for what everyone views as to prevent the titanium from galling. All makers are capable of very tight tolerances. I assume the titanium that both use is not very different from one another. So is the washer needed if KAI can make it work (other than filling the space). Are their pivots different for one to not have a washer and one to see the need for one? I may have oversimplified the discussion but I hope it can at least bring insight from other people more knowledgeable in the knife making area. Since Sal said they are working on it I am interested in what happens. I haven't bought the Advocate yet for this reason.

I was more getting at the difference between the warranties :)

PB. Will do

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

got the washers in today. I think I have found a fix to my issue at least. These are about the same thickness as the factory washers, but they dont' have the "flex" the factory washers do. That makes them stronger, but also they don't "conform" to the bearings like the factory washers. I think if sanded down some they could be just about perfect. Here is the item I ordered from usknifemakers.com. I'll post a pic in a second but I have a smooth action and it's centered! This is actually a useable knife now.

WASHER PB 3/16" ID X 3/8" OD X .016" FOR BALISONG OR OTHER
https://usaknifemaker.com/catalogse...6"+ID+X+3/8"+OD+X+.016"+FOR+BALISONG+OR+OTHER

As is they work but they are slightly thicker than factory

Being thicker, does it affect the knife in any way that you can tell?

Thicker might not be all that bad. The main issue, from what I can tell in the photos and videos, is that the stock bearing washers/races are too thin.

*** All I know is that I want my knife back! --and working correclty!***

The only issue I can see is with centering. There is no blade play and I was able to get mine centered.

I use a water hose. I have a number of knives that stay covered in fish blood and guts 365 days a year. I blow them out with a garden hose and hit em with a little wd40 now and again. None of them have ever been disassembled. Some of them are years old and show no rust or corrosion and the action is as smooth as when they were new. I'm not against taking a knife apart if you enjoy it but I've never found it necessary for maintenance. YMMV

Bingo. If you enjoy it, I can totally understand disassembly. But I'm passed thinking that it's necessary.

Iceman: were these phosphor bronze washera used as a replacement for the steel washers or for the bearings?

Just to confirm xICEMANx, the action is improved with these washers?
Yes and no. Still nothing like a ZT flipper, but better and the washers are stronger than the paper thin ones Spyderco used.

Last edited:
Well, I have to receive a credit for my returned Advocate because "any other one is going to do the same thing"--grinding in the pivot or the detente ball. I am NOT happy in the least.

Until, they completely redesign the bearing pivots on their knives, I would not even consider buying another bearing pivot Spyderco.

Back