Spyderco Advocate bearing Race A total Failure..

Why wouldn't you wait and see how your Advocate is before deciding it needs replacement parts? I've seen a lot of people stating that their Advocate is great. It's likely your will be too.

I would wait, but I was offered a good deal on one second-hand. The guy says it has no issues or anything, and he's never taken it apart. I don't know if Spyderco's warranty covers one bought privately or not so I just wanted to get an idea of what I can do to fix it should the need arise. More than likely once they start production back again with any issues fixed I'll buy one.

Why wouldn't you wait and see how your Advocate is before deciding it needs replacement parts? I've seen a lot of people stating that their Advocate is great. It's likely your's will be too.

Absolutely!!! There are plenty that have been fine. Wait till you have it in hand before you mess with it!!
Joe

I would wait, but I was offered a good deal on one second-hand. The guy says it has no issues or anything, and he's never taken it apart. I don't know if Spyderco's warranty covers one bought privately or not so I just wanted to get an idea of what I can do to fix it should the need arise. More than likely once they start production back again with any issues fixed I'll buy one.

If it wasn't taken apart, warranty is still good.
If the deal is that good, grab that bad boy!!
Joe

Good point Daniel!!!
It would be a bit weird messing with it before that!!!
[emoji51][emoji51]

If it wasn't taken apart, warranty is still good.
If the deal is that good, grab that bad boy!!
Joe

Thanks! I should be ending up with it at the end of this week. All this the talk on different forums about it has me a little too paranoid I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quit Spyderco when I had an Endura with severe blade play issues that were not addressed. A sharpening job where they never removed the wire edge and did a sloppy job. And 2 Wall Mart Tenacious liner locks suffer failure out of package. I would like to give them another shot but I also feel like 3 strikes and you are out applies. I wanted a fully serrated folder but I will stick with my $10 Mora serrated Pro S and hope someday another company will do full serrated aside for Cold Steels badly designed serrations.

I quit Spyderco when I had an Endura with severe blade play issues that were not addressed. A sharpening job where they never removed the wire edge and did a sloppy job. And 2 Wall Mart Tenacious liner locks suffer failure out of package. I would like to give them another shot but I also feel like 3 strikes and you are out applies. I wanted a fully serrated folder but I will stick with my $10 Mora serrated Pro S and hope someday another company will do full serrated aside for Cold Steels badly designed serrations.
Sounds like Spyderco is not the brand for you.

Also, I’ve owned about a dozen of the China made models and never seen one that had safety issues. They are not very nice by any means but they are definitely functional and safe. Wouldn’t be surprised if the ones that failed were not authentic, especially from Walmart.

You must feel some kind of way about Spyderco, as you dug up a 2 year old thread to post this. ;)

Sounds like Spyderco is not the brand for you.

Also, I’ve owned about a dozen of the China made models and never seen one that had safety issues. They are not very nice by any means but they are definitely functional and safe. Wouldn’t be surprised if the ones that failed were not authentic, especially from Walmart.
Is there any known issues of Wall Mart selling fake Spydies? Any links you can guide.me.to to research this.

You must feel some kind of way about Spyderco, as you dug up a 2 year old thread to post this. ;)
I like Spyderco. Owned 11 in my life. And yes I replied on a 2 year old post. Due to tight finances I tried the Tenacious and first one had liner lock failure. Returned and traded for another. Same issue. I was doing Spydercos since mid 1980's. But their recent offerings had issues that I feel need addressed. When I buy a liner or frame lock I do a spine whack test on my leg. Remind you my leg and small tap is hardly abusive. If it closes it is defective. I even caused liner lock failure from pushing on back or blade with my hand witht light pressure. Yet those issues are ignored and any critical truthful feedback usually results in some (not all) Spyderco or other brand fanboys to throw you under the Bus and set you on fire. Which has encouraged some companies to get lazy on their QC and be rewarded for bad practices. I could have fixed the Liner lock issue but when I own 3 cheap $4 Ozark Trails that have a better liner lock up something is wrong. I tend to feel like I should not have to work and modify a new knife from a reputable company. If it was a fake knock off I will be the first to say I am sorry to Spyderco, Fans, and Sal himself. I got em from Wall Mart.

Last edited:
What are the bearing sizes people have used? My advocate is at spyderco right now for repair, but would like to have other options for backup.

So I bought the Spyderco advocate new from BladeHQ ~ a month ago.. I love the looks and ergonomics of the the knife and thus it has been my daily carry since receiving it.. over the past week or so the knife has gotten progressively more off center and the action has gotten worse.. I tried cleaning the knife and and Nano lube but the action got progressively worse..

Today I decided to disassemble the knife and clean out the inside.. this is what I found.

Did someone take the knife apart before you noticed the damage? Maybe it was disassembled and not properly but back together at the dealer who sold it to you.

ebbe38b94f9f37f1fed50b0e29003e3a.jpg

8be575cc7e98fda44ecf203fedd876c9.jpg

The washer is literally split in half.. to make matters worse I call customer service to see if maybe they would send me some washers.. they claim "they never send out internal parts and I would have to send in my knife in and likely pay for the repair because the knife has been dissembled.. seriously spyderco..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same exact thing happened to mine. One of the bearing races was broke in two. Sent to spyderco and they said not covered by warranty. So paid the 25 bucks and will be happy to get it back. Just would like to have a backup plan in case it happens again.

Well I did take it apart to see for myself. I knew that would void the warranty. I thought I could easily get parts and fix myself. The parts a couple guys said to get were out of stock so I just sent spyderco so I could get it back working again.

Well I did take it apart to see for myself. I knew that would void the warranty. I thought I could easily get parts and fix myself. The parts a couple guys said to get were out of stock so I just sent spyderco so I could get it back working again.

Disassembly doesn't void the warranty although they may charge for damage done with improper disassembly.

Back