Spyderco Amalgam: An underrated knife

jstn

Gold Member
I don't see much mention of this knife, and frankly, it kind of baffles me. With the popularity of the PM2, I figured another similarly sized comp lock model would appeal to many. The ergos are great on the Amalgam, and it flips very well. Plus, it is nice to have an option with a stouter tip then the PM2 and Manix2. So why do you guys think the Amalgam gets so little love? Is it the design? The steel?

For me:

Compression lock = Strike one

Flipper = Strike two

Tip up only carry = Strike three

It's outta here!

I'm sure others will love it for the very things that make me dismiss it without another thought.

For me:

Compression lock = Strike one

Flipper = Strike two

Tip up only carry = Strike three

It's outta here!

I'm sure others will love it for the very things that make me dismiss it without another thought.
It has a 4 way clip position?

I didn't love the bearings, weak detent, and how the compression lock was occluded by the flipper tab when closing. Had mine had a stronger detent and bronze washers, like a PM2, then I would have kept it.

I enjoyed the amalgam as i have with nearly all Spydies from taiwan. However my biggest gripe was the flipper tab passing completely through the compression lock area. Having to adjust my hand each time i closed the knife isnt the action i care for. While the knife is comparable in a lot of ways to the PM2, it certainly wont be the knife to replace it. I think this knife is a good balance between function and fidget-ability, but still is not on par with the PM2s function or fidget-ability.

The only thing I would change on mine is the detent. Taichung Spydies always seem to be a little light. Other than that I love my amalgam and it's my favorite spyderco.

The size is great, it cuts great because look at how thin it is at the edge!! Light for its size. Pockets very well.

I love that it's a flipper, and it passing through the comp lock area is no big deal to me. Not a hard motion to move my finger. It adds to fidget factor to me because I make it a game off "will I get my finger out of the way in time?"

Love the sound of the knife opening and closing. The bearings are smooth and the whole knife is rock solid.

I understand some people have issues with some aspects of the knife, but I love it. I wonder what some people see in the smock... Now that is a knife that confuses me!

Sorry, I wrote a book. Starting to feel a little under the weather and a little loopy lol

It has a 4 way clip position?

Does it? Never really looked into it that closely. Most of the stuff they are building anymore is tip up only. Even if it could be changed to my preferred clip alignment, it would still be a fail for me for the first two.

Bearings means automatic no from me. Even without them, it'd need to lose the choil for me to buy it. I like the handle shape though and would have definitely considered it if it wasn't for those two details.

I will pick one up to try when I find one for a good price. Tried the PM 2/3 and sold them, nothing wrong with them they just don't appeal to me. I like the oddballs much better.

Compression lock sux beans! It's ugly! It looks like a Ontario RAT

Once you get past the Fanboy obsession with the compression lock It's very glitchy. It has Ridiculous lock stick it's inconsistent from model to model. It pinches and clicks. And the only reason the fan boys like it is because there are videos of drop closing the blade. . Which is actually a horrible characteristic of a knife That you should be in control of.

I hate that every kid thinks that everyone likes the comp lock . It's literally a mental disorder. Egocentric

I didn't love the bearings, weak detent, and how the compression lock was occluded by the flipper tab when closing. Had mine had a stronger detent and bronze washers, like a PM2, then I would have kept it.
I can see that. Maybe CQI?

Once you get past the Fanboy obsession with the compression lock It's very glitchy. It has Ridiculous lock stick it's inconsistent from model to model. It pinches and clicks. And the only reason the fan boys like it is because there are videos of drop closing the blade. . Which is actually a horrible characteristic of a knife That you should be in control of.

I hate that every kid thinks that everyone likes the comp lock . It's literally a mental disorder. Egocentric

Seems a little extreme to me. I find the Comp. lock to be very easy to use, not to mention it is plenty strong. I guess I am just egocentric and have a mental disorder...

Seems a little extreme to me. I find the Comp. lock to be very easy to use, not to mention it is plenty strong. I guess I am just egocentric and have a mental disorder...

Nope. I have 2 Pm2s, a para 3 and lightweight, Amalgam, and had a sage 5. The only one with stick was my para 3, and that was because I added a ti stop pin. Steel is back in and no or very little stick.
I love the comp lock. No pinching here, no problems, works as designed.

My amalgam owned weekend duty for me for a while. My new shaman has interference with compression lock when closed so not sure why everyone complains about amalgam.

Really like the design and find it extremely ergo friendly for my big hands. Compression lock has been a big part of liking this knife.

I like the one I have, wish the Ikuchi was as smooth as it. I think I have one before the QCI.

Alrighty then.

Back