Spyderco Amalgam: An underrated knife

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by jstn, Feb 14, 2020.

1. maugust09

maugust09

Mar 14, 2018
    Agreed. Personally lock types have never bothered me that much, as long as they do their job.

nephron and jstn like this.
  2. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018

Been carrying my Amalgam for the past 2 weeks. I own over 130 Spyders and it's one of my favorites.

Blade length 3.5-4" = +1
    Flipper = +2

Compression lock - Irrelevant
    Tip up carry - Irrelevant
    CF Lam Scales - Irrelevant

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  3. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    That is saying a lot, as I know from your posts you own a TON of great knives. I am really hoping for a sprint of the Amalgam in the near future!

4. ferider

ferider Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2018
    :) I somewhat agree, but would probably say it differently :)

I really tried to like the PM[23], and I have a few ....lock-stick does happen (1 out of 5 or so?) and typically means that the lock is adjusted on the strong side. Then again, if you weaken the detent, when closing, the blade will bounce. What really bothers me is that in hard use, the PM/compression lock digs into the web between thumb and index finger, not comfortable at all. So mostly today, the Para Militaries stay at home. And my hard use knives don't have compression locks anymore.

I have an Amalgam, and added a lock release button ala Smock - works very well, so I can actually close it without the flipper hitting my finger. It's a great knife for a specific purpose: I like longer blades, which the Amalgam has; still it looks non-threatening, and the blade shape is perfect for sandwiches etc.; perfect for a date night, or a picnic setting. Doesn't need to be a pry-bar to spread peanut butter :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    GundaManiac likes this.
  5. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Compression Lock,
    1f44d.png

6. theobetts

theobetts

Nov 4, 2004
    I like m Amalam very much, got it in November and have carried it nearly daily since then. I do not care about the flipper, I always use the spydie hole.

Peakbagger46 likes this.
  7. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I don't like the choil on the Amalgam. Too much edge is sacrificed. Bearings are good with me. Heard about the weak detent and that's a huge minus.
    Comp lock isn't my favorite but I think it's a good system.

8. ReignChaser

ReignChaser

May 26, 2019
    The Lil Temp 3 I own has no lock stick. It also doesn't drop closed (although a hard shake can accomplish that). It's mostly just the US made compression locks that drop closed cause of their different bushing system. I've also never been pinched. It seems like you have a disdain for those fanboys, which has led you to hate the lock itself just so you're "better than them".

9. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    You're experience with one model really doesn't mean much. I actually have six different models with the comp lock. I like the models however they would be better with a different lock.
    Fanatics like to parakeet cringy knife characteristics so they sound like they know what they're talking about.
    Wild assumptions aside you should go for a psychotherapy certificate.

10. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    And I have 5 (and had a 6th) and only one had lock stick and it was my fault (installed a ti stop pin in my para 3, never will do that again). All of my comp locks function perfectly. I'm sure some do have some stick, just as some frame locks do, or liner locks, but saying its a garbage design is a bit far fetched imo.

You're not happy with it and that's fine. There are plenty of locks out there. Plenty of choices.

11. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    I didn't say it was garbage. Get a grip. It's my least favorite lock, why would I dote about my least favorite lock?

I need you to go in every Military or backlock thread and help them understand there are plenty of models that already have comp lock. That would be great.

12. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    You're talking as if they are garbage though, with lock stick, pinching, etc. Sorry but that's the vibe I got. You don't like them, fine. Big deal, others enjoy them including me.

You can go in those threads yourself and let them know. I could care less if the military gets a comp lock, but if it did it might actually be on my radar. Or if they at least added tip up carry. Then I might consider it.

13. maugust09

maugust09

Mar 14, 2018
    How are you going to give an overly dramatic opinion about a lock type and then dismiss someone else's experience... Youre on a spyderco forum taunting the comp lock and expect people to take you seriously bc youve had a bad run with your 6 models?

For the record my spyderco rotation is currently at 9 backlocks and 1 complock. Ive owned a significant amount of Spydercos of all varied lock types (and obviously several comp locks including old and discontinued models - vesuvius, salsa, etc.). The only time ive ran across any issues with what you described was my preCQI kapara. Which i adjusted and fixed most of those issues with a little work.

Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one and most of them are shitty.

14. ReignChaser

ReignChaser

May 26, 2019
    It means a lot when it destroys your argument of them all having lock stick and dropping shut. It's kind of hilarious that just one person with one example proves you to be a liar. LOL

maugust09 likes this.
  15. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    Blah blah you kids sure told me. LOL'd

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  16. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I'd love to see some pics of your Amalgam with the button release. Did you do it yourself or send it out?

17. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    Yes please share

18. maugust09

maugust09

Mar 14, 2018
    Your opinion is your own. Theres no need to be rude of condescending to others just because your opinion was challenged. A vast number of users have contrary experiences to yours. Its okay that youve had a bad experience, we arent knocking you for it. But to present your beliefs as widespread or facts is a practice of ignorance and arrogance.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  19. Halfneck

Halfneck Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I handled the Amalgam and liked it, it's just a bigger knife than I like to carry.

Personally the compression-lock is my favorite lock Spyderco uses, followed by the standard back-lock.

20. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    It's on my list because I love larger Spyderco's but the problem for me is the price. Even though they are smaller, here where I live you can get the Mantra and the Advocate for the same price. The M4 blade and titanium handles seems a lot more exotic and premium to me so I'd probably buy those first.