Spyderco Amalgam: An underrated knife

Nope. I have 2 Pm2s, a para 3 and lightweight, Amalgam, and had a sage 5. The only one with stick was my para 3, and that was because I added a ti stop pin. Steel is back in and no or very little stick.
I love the comp lock. No pinching here, no problems, works as designed.
Agreed. Personally lock types have never bothered me that much, as long as they do their job.

I don't see much mention of this knife, and frankly, it kind of baffles me. With the popularity of the PM2, I figured another similarly sized comp lock model would appeal to many. The ergos are great on the Amalgam, and it flips very well. Plus, it is nice to have an option with a stouter tip then the PM2 and Manix2. So why do you guys think the Amalgam gets so little love? Is it the design? The steel?

For me:

Compression lock = Strike one

Flipper = Strike two

Tip up only carry = Strike three

It's outta here!

I'm sure others will love it for the very things that make me dismiss it without another thought.

Been carrying my Amalgam for the past 2 weeks. I own over 130 Spyders and it's one of my favorites.

Blade length 3.5-4" = +1
Flipper = +2

Compression lock - Irrelevant
Tip up carry - Irrelevant
CF Lam Scales - Irrelevant

Last edited:
Been carrying my Amalgam for the past 2 weeks. I own over 130 Spyders and it's one of my favorites.

Blade length 3.5-4" = =1
Flipper = +2

Compression lock - Irrelevant
Tip up carry - Irrelevant
CF Lam Scales - Irrelevant
That is saying a lot, as I know from your posts you own a TON of great knives. I am really hoping for a sprint of the Amalgam in the near future!

Once you get past the Fanboy obsession with the compression lock It's very glitchy. It has Ridiculous lock stick it's inconsistent from model to model. It pinches and clicks. And the only reason the fan boys like it is because there are videos of drop closing the blade. . Which is actually a horrible characteristic of a knife That you should be in control of.

I hate that every kid thinks that everyone likes the comp lock . It's literally a mental disorder. Egocentric

:) I somewhat agree, but would probably say it differently :)

I really tried to like the PM[23], and I have a few ....lock-stick does happen (1 out of 5 or so?) and typically means that the lock is adjusted on the strong side. Then again, if you weaken the detent, when closing, the blade will bounce. What really bothers me is that in hard use, the PM/compression lock digs into the web between thumb and index finger, not comfortable at all. So mostly today, the Para Militaries stay at home. And my hard use knives don't have compression locks anymore.

I have an Amalgam, and added a lock release button ala Smock - works very well, so I can actually close it without the flipper hitting my finger. It's a great knife for a specific purpose: I like longer blades, which the Amalgam has; still it looks non-threatening, and the blade shape is perfect for sandwiches etc.; perfect for a date night, or a picnic setting. Doesn't need to be a pry-bar to spread peanut butter :)

Last edited:
I like m Amalam very much, got it in November and have carried it nearly daily since then. I do not care about the flipper, I always use the spydie hole.

I don't like the choil on the Amalgam. Too much edge is sacrificed. Bearings are good with me. Heard about the weak detent and that's a huge minus.
Comp lock isn't my favorite but I think it's a good system.

It has Ridiculous lock stick it's inconsistent from model to model. It pinches and clicks. And the only reason the fan boys like it is because there are videos of drop closing the blade.

The Lil Temp 3 I own has no lock stick. It also doesn't drop closed (although a hard shake can accomplish that). It's mostly just the US made compression locks that drop closed cause of their different bushing system. I've also never been pinched. It seems like you have a disdain for those fanboys, which has led you to hate the lock itself just so you're "better than them".

The Lil Temp 3 I own has no lock stick. It also doesn't drop closed (although a hard shake can accomplish that). It's mostly just the US made compression locks that drop closed cause of their different bushing system. I've also never been pinched. It seems like you have a disdain for those fanboys, which has led you to hate the lock itself just so you're "better than them".

You're experience with one model really doesn't mean much. I actually have six different models with the comp lock. I like the models however they would be better with a different lock.
Fanatics like to parakeet cringy knife characteristics so they sound like they know what they're talking about.
Wild assumptions aside you should go for a psychotherapy certificate.

Reactions: 353
You're experience with one model really doesn't mean much. I actually have six different models with the comp lock. I like the models however they would be better with a different lock.
Fanatics like to parakeet cringy knife characteristics so they sound like they know what they're talking about.

And I have 5 (and had a 6th) and only one had lock stick and it was my fault (installed a ti stop pin in my para 3, never will do that again). All of my comp locks function perfectly. I'm sure some do have some stick, just as some frame locks do, or liner locks, but saying its a garbage design is a bit far fetched imo.

You're not happy with it and that's fine. There are plenty of locks out there. Plenty of choices.

And I have 5 (and had a 6th) and only one had lock stick and it was my fault (installed a ti stop pin in my para 3, never will do that again). All of my comp locks function perfectly. I'm sure some do have some stick, just as some frame locks do, or liner locks, but saying its a garbage design is a bit far fetched imo.

You're not happy with it and that's fine. There are plenty of locks out there. Plenty of choices.

I didn't say it was garbage. Get a grip. It's my least favorite lock, why would I dote about my least favorite lock?

I need you to go in every Military or backlock thread and help them understand there are plenty of models that already have comp lock. That would be great.

I didn't say it was garbage. Get a grip. It's my least favorite lock, why would I dote about my least favorite lock?

I need you to go in every Military or backlock thread and help them understand there are plenty of models that already have comp lock. That would be great.

You're talking as if they are garbage though, with lock stick, pinching, etc. Sorry but that's the vibe I got. You don't like them, fine. Big deal, others enjoy them including me.

You can go in those threads yourself and let them know. I could care less if the military gets a comp lock, but if it did it might actually be on my radar. Or if they at least added tip up carry. Then I might consider it.

How are you going to give an overly dramatic opinion about a lock type and then dismiss someone else's experience... Youre on a spyderco forum taunting the comp lock and expect people to take you seriously bc youve had a bad run with your 6 models?

For the record my spyderco rotation is currently at 9 backlocks and 1 complock. Ive owned a significant amount of Spydercos of all varied lock types (and obviously several comp locks including old and discontinued models - vesuvius, salsa, etc.). The only time ive ran across any issues with what you described was my preCQI kapara. Which i adjusted and fixed most of those issues with a little work.

Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one and most of them are shitty.

Blah blah you kids sure told me. LOL'd

Last edited:
:) I somewhat agree, but would probably say it differently :)

I really tried to like the PM[23], and I have a few ....lock-stick does happen (1 out of 5 or so?) and typically means that the lock is adjusted on the strong side. Then again, if you weaken the detent, when closing, the blade will bounce. What really bothers me is that in hard use, the PM/compression lock digs into the web between thumb and index finger, not comfortable at all. So mostly today, the Para Militaries stay at home. And my hard use knives don't have compression locks anymore.

I have an Amalgam, and added a lock release button ala Smock - works very well, so I can actually close it without the flipper hitting my finger. It's a great knife for a specific purpose: I like longer blades, which the Amalgam has; still it looks non-threatening, and the blade shape is perfect for sandwiches etc.; perfect for a date night, or a picnic setting. Doesn't need to be a pry-bar to spread peanut butter :)
I'd love to see some pics of your Amalgam with the button release. Did you do it yourself or send it out?

Blah blah you kids sure told me. LOL'd
Your opinion is your own. Theres no need to be rude of condescending to others just because your opinion was challenged. A vast number of users have contrary experiences to yours. Its okay that youve had a bad experience, we arent knocking you for it. But to present your beliefs as widespread or facts is a practice of ignorance and arrogance.

Last edited:
I handled the Amalgam and liked it, it's just a bigger knife than I like to carry.

Personally the compression-lock is my favorite lock Spyderco uses, followed by the standard back-lock.

It's on my list because I love larger Spyderco's but the problem for me is the price. Even though they are smaller, here where I live you can get the Mantra and the Advocate for the same price. The M4 blade and titanium handles seems a lot more exotic and premium to me so I'd probably buy those first.

Back