Spyderco Amalgam Mini Review

jstn

Gold Member
IMG_20181208_112337259.jpg I finally got in my Spyderco Amalgam yesterday. This has certainly been the knife I've anticipated the most in recent memory, and it did not disappoint.

For me personally, the specs for this knife were everything I wanted in a folder design-wise. I have been hoping Spyderco would a design a compression lock flipper with a sturdier tip, a finger choil, and great ergos. A really great all-arounder. This knife fits the bill as far as I'm concerned.

The flipping action is buttery-smooth with it running on bearings, and the ergos are exceptional, even better than I expected, and better than the PM2 and Manix 2, for me at least.

It was also important to me that the knife had a significant guard so that there is no way my hand could slip up to the blade, and the Amalgam has just that.

The fit and finish is spot on with this model, and the CF/G10 laminate provides plenty of grip but doesn't shred the pockets. The blade itself is pretty thick at the spine, but it comes down into a nice, thin edge that slices really well. It is also surprising light for a knife of this size.

Aesthetically, I love the looks of this knife. The maker's mark is probably the coolest I've seen (one of our BF members, Gundamaniac designed this piece). It flips well and opens via the Spydie hole well too.

My one concern from watching some Youtube reviews was that the blade would easily shake out, but it is harder to shake it out than I thought it would be, which is a pleasant surprise.

If I had a few small nitpicks, I would still like the detent to be a bit stronger, but it is better than some of the others comp lock flippers, and I expected it would be a lighter detent as that is par for the course. My only other wish would be an upgraded steel - M390, Cruwear, even S35VN, but I am perfectly happy with S30V. Maybe a future sprint run? Micarta and Cruwear would be a dream for me.

In any case, at this point the knife looks like it is going to be perfect for me. It exceeds all my expectations, and I imagine I will thoroughly enjoy carrying and using the folder for a long time to come. Spyderco and Brian Lai really knocked this one out of the park.

Why can't Spyderco build a flipper with a decent detent? It's 2018.

I still love Spyderco though.

Thanks for the review. Expecting mine to arrive in a couple of days. :)

Really? Hmm Interesting. Now, I only have one Spyderco flipper (Positron) and mine has a damn strong detent. I wouldn't want it much stronger than what it currently is. However, I'm not a big Spyderco fan, nice knives mind you, just not big on the whole hole thing.

I've got the 3 Southard flippers (Positron, Hanan and black Folder) and don't have a problem w/the detents on them.

Of the 3, the Hanan is the only one that will drop free if shaken when the compression lock is released but otherwise the blade for all 3 stays in place just fine. Those are the only Spyder flippers that I currently own but I expect to buy more (in addition to the Amalgam) soon.

I know that Nick Shabazz complains about the Spyderco flipper detents but I think that it's not the problem he makes it out to be, just as the supposed ZT lock failure "problem" seems to be grossly overstated.

BTW, I currently own over 150 knives and over 40 of those are Spydercos.

Got a chance to really use my Amalgam today cutting up a bunch of cardboard. Man this thing really cuts. For anyone who has one, you have probably noticed how thin the blade stock is at the finger choil. From the factory this knife is incredible thin behind the edge and definitely the sharpest factory edge I've had. Just cuts through everything with no effort.

Also, the more I've flipped it and gotten the technique down, the more I like the flipping action. It is so smooth that it really doesn't need a super-strong detent. I really don't find myself using the flipper tab anyway, as I prefer the Spydie hole, but I appreciate the extra guard the flipper tab adds, and the extra option. This is really a perfect design IMHO. I would even say it's my grail folder. Couldn't be any happier with this guy. I don't think Spyderco is going to be able to keep these on the shelves; hopefully that means some sprint runs in the future.

I always thought they ran their detents soft on these knives because they had the option to be opened via the hole. I used to have a mantra 1, it flipped pretty reliably but it wasn’t really crisp. It spidey flicked beautifully though.

With the new bearing system I think they could probably get away with the soft detent.

Bend that lock bar in and it will have a stronger detent. Then some will complain that it's harder to unlock.
This folder looks like a perfect candidate to have the flipper tab removed.
Maybe the flipper is nice, but being able to close like a proper compression lock I think is better

Last edited:
I'd be really interested to hear what you think of it when you gets yours.

Just saw and handled an Amalgam at my local knife/gun shop today. I really like the look and feel of the knife.

It flipped easily despite the size/length of the blade and I did not notice any problem w/the detent. The thumbhole is well sized and positioned for my smallish hands. So, it's easy for me to open either way. The knife has a nice "heft" to it (even though it's only listed at 4.3 oz) and I like the texture of the carbon ply. The shallow choil allows you to choke up on the blade for more precise (or, to my way of thinking, "tactical") use. On the other hand, the broad straight (almost rectangular) shape of the drop point blade and flat grind makes it was very effective slicer. Can't speak to the strength of it but I prefer the convenience of the compression lock over the other options. The only thing I wish it had was a deep pocket wire clip. At a street price of $175, I think it's a fair value, even if you think it should have better than S30V steel and full CF given the cost.

Still looking forward to receiving mine shortly and will update this "review" (if necessary) after I receive it and have more time/experience handling it.

Last edited:
Bend that lock bar in and it will have a stronger detent. Then some will complain that it's harder to unlock.
This folder looks like a perfect candidate to have the flipper tab removed.
Maybe the flipper is nice, but being able to close like a proper compression lock I think is better
I suspect many will go that route. Not me, but I can see it.

Just saw and handled an Amalgam at my local knife/gun shop today. I really like the look and feel of the knife.

It flipped easily despite the size/length of the blade and I did not notice any problem w/the detent. The thumbhole is well sized and positioned for my smallish hands. So, it's easy for me to open either way. The knife has a nice "heft" to it (even though it's only listed at 4.3 oz) and I like the texture of the carbon ply. The shallow choil allows you to choke up on the blade for more precise (or, to my way of thinking, "tactical") use. On the other hand, the broad straight (almost rectangular) shape of the drop point blade and flat grind makes it was very effective slicer. Can't speak to the strength of it but I prefer the convenience of the compression lock over the other options. The only thing I wish it had was a deep pocket wire clip. At a street price of $175, I think it's a fair value, even if you think it should have better than S30V steel and full CF given the cost.

Still looking forward to receiving mine shortly and will update this "review" (if necessary) after I receive it and have more time/experience handling it.
Glad to hear you have good initial impression of it! And to be clear, I do think it's a good value as well for the material etc. I would be happy to pay more for a different steel, especially in a sprint run or exclusive, but I also think it's great as is and the price is spot on. I have no real complaints about the knife, but I can always go for some cool new steels!

Glad to hear you have good initial impression of it! And to be clear, I do think it's a good value as well for the material etc. I would be happy to pay more for a different steel, especially in a sprint run or exclusive, but I also think it's great as is and the price is spot on. I have no real complaints about the knife, but I can always go for some cool new steels!

Just got mine today. Nothing to add to my comments above. A nice addition to my collection.

Only thing I'll say is that I'm confused by the several threads that I've read/seen recently in which someone is complaining about a detent so light that the blade of the Almagam will just fall out of the handle from the closed position. I do not have this 'problem" w/my Amalgam and did not notice such a problem w/the one that I handled at the gun/knife store. The blade will easily drop from the open position when you release the compression lock at the top of the handle but the blade will not drop out when it is in the fully closed position w/in the handle, not even when the handle is shaken.

Just got mine today. Nothing to add to my comments above. A nice addition to my collection.

Only thing I'll say is that I'm confused by the several threads that I've read/seen recently in which someone is complaining about a detent so light that the blade of the Almagam will just fall out of the handle from the closed position. I do not have this 'problem" w/my Amalgam and did not notice such a problem w/the one that I handled at the gun/knife store. The blade will easily drop from the open position when you release the compression lock at the top of the handle but the blade will not drop out when it is in the fully closed position w/in the handle, not even when the handle is shaken.
Yeah, the only way mine shakes out is if I really try, and I don't imagine it would by accident.

Thanks for the review jstn! I'm glad you're liking your Amalgam :). Spyderco did a great job with the execution.

This thread needs pictures:
WHolnZP.jpg

m8TSY3z.jpg

bXzROdk.jpg

Thanks for the review jstn! I'm glad you're liking your Amalgam :). Spyderco did a great job with the execution.

WHolnZP.jpg

m8TSY3z.jpg

bXzROdk.jpg
Dude.. That is sweet. Beautiful design BTW.

What is going on with the dark one? Looks awesome!

WHolnZP.jpg

m8TSY3z.jpg

bXzROdk.jpg
Hey, thanks for the knife! I didn't think any folder would top the PM2 for me, but this has! Perfection. I will be needing a few backups, and some sprints in the future! You really knocked this one out of the park; I hope to see some more designs from you down the road!

Back