Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2018 Report

Spyderco doesn’t just restrict it’s CQI principles to knives, it was also applied to this year’s Amsterdam Meet! I’ve been to the very first meet 14 years ago, where me and about 10 other guys spend the evening around a table with Sal, Gail a few other Spydercrew members and a big pack of prototypes. The meet has grown over the years to the point where the number of guests had to be capped to 80, or the knives just wouldn’t pass through the crowd. But this year’s meet was different, and I liked it a lot.

After a 2 hour informal presentation by Eric of the almost 100 prototypes he brought, the room was quickly divided into a mini-show, with several tables displaying the prototypes. The knives werne’t passed around this time, but people could mingle together along the four tables to examine the prototypes, ask questions etc… People were handed little forms that they could use to leave comments and feedback. I believe some 250 comments were left!

It was an even better experience than last year. Eric, Joyce, Jur andTed pulled it off again, thanks a lot guys!

From the prototype-filled table, I can publish images of about 18 knives. I hope I’m able to give you a good impression of some of the new knives that Spyderco is working on. I have no information on pricing or precise release dates. It’s my experience that most of the prototypes that are shown at the meet, are usually released within a year. Any possible errors in the images or information about these prototypes and production samples, are all mine. Probably due to experiencing a hefty dose of ‘new knife high’.

I’ll start publishing the first pictures later today in this thread.

Paul Alexander keeps on designing cool new knives for Spyderco. We got a sneak peek at the Parata concept model last year, and it’s always amazing to see the refined production sample. The Parata is the first knife to feature a stop lock. What is usually a stop in in other folding knives, has now become the lock. This location also makes it a very safe lock/knife to use. It’s hard to accidentally disengage. The handle also features two small liners that connect the pins and add strength to the handle. Another nice feature is that this lock design allow for plenty of space inside the handle, hence the huge blade – compared to the handle size. The blade shape should work well for all kinds of rotational cutting.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_lock.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 20,5 cm / 8.09 inches
Blade Length: 8,8 cm / 3.46 inches
Blade Thickness: 3.0 mm / 0.118 inches
Weight: 133 grams / 3.1 ounces

“I can’t stand it, I know they planned, I’m telling y’all, it a sabotage…”, and I’ll stop paraphrasing the three MC’s (and one DJ) from New York now. This knife was designed by Nati Amor and he calls it the Sabotage. It’s a big, solid and hefty folder which handles very nicely. The action was very smooth, Eric warned people to not get cut with this knife because of the smooth closing action.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_angle_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_angle_4.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_angle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_natiamor_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 23,5 cm / 9.25 inches
Blade Length: 10,5 cm / 4.13 inches
Blade Thickness: 4.0 mm / 0.157 inches
Weight: 176 grams / 6.2 ounces

A cool design from a fellow forumite. I know Ankerson already showed super photos of his cool design in use. I can’t add much more but to add that this handled like a hefty and serious work knife. Go straight to the source for better pics and more design insights: www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77831

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jimankerson-darrensanders_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jimankerson-darrensanders_tang_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jimankerson-darrensanders_steel.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jimankerson-darrensanders_makers.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jimankerson-darrensanders_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jimankerson-darrensanders_tang_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jimankerson-darrensanders_1_reverse.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 31,3 cm / 12.3 inches
Blade Length: 17,3 cm / 6.81 inches
Blade Thickness: 3,8 mm / 0.32 inches
Weight: 328 grams / 11.56 ounces

For sure. Always a great thread.
Thanks for your efforts.
Plus a beasties quote, I'm gonna fire up some Paul's boutique.

Reactions: P2P
I think it must be increasingly difficult to redesign the wheel again and again. I do like the looks of the Sabotage, but how many stylistic derivations of the basic folding knife design are left? I don't envy the task.

Thanks for your hard work as always. I look forward to your thread every year.

Back