Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2018 Report

The Jonathan McNees design was another Spyderco surprise for me. The extremely small folder echoes small Spyderco collaborations in the past like the toad. It’s a size-class smaller than, say, a Dragonfly. The McNees design, size-wise, is more in the Ladybug range. The ergos were surprisingly good and even after a first-time pick-up I could open and close it one-handed quite easily. A cool design, I like the stippling as well.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees_profile_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees_angle_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_jonathanmcnees_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 9,6 cm / 3.77 inches
Blade Length: 3,9 cm / 1.53 inches
Blade Thickness: 2 mm / 0.32 inches
Weight: 48 grams / 1.69 ounces

Awesome stuff , man.

I'm liking that Brouwer design too since I'm a big Native fan.

Same here. The Brouwer is the one I'm most excited for, even though the Amalgam is enticing it's too large for me.
I hear ya. I like the Sabotage too but it looks mammoth. I still plan on buying one. I'm currently entering a phase of carrying smaller EDC's. My brand new Native5 Composite Sprints arrive today !

Oh how I love this time of year...thanks for the report.

That Sabotage looks amazing! Any indications as to what steel it will end up getting?!

That sabotage is something else. Almost has a modern sodbuster profile. Wish it was a smidge smaller but depending on blade steel I will most likely be down. Looking forward to more protos!

Paul Alexander keeps on designing cool new knives for Spyderco. We got a sneak peek at the Parata concept model last year, and it’s always amazing to see the refined production sample. The Parata is the first knife to feature a stop lock. What is usually a stop in in other folding knives, has now become the lock. This location also makes it a very safe lock/knife to use. It’s hard to accidentally disengage. The handle also features two small liners that connect the pins and add strength to the handle. Another nice feature is that this lock design allow for plenty of space inside the handle, hence the huge blade – compared to the handle size. The blade shape should work well for all kinds of rotational cutting.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_parata_lock.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 20,5 cm / 8.09 inches
Blade Length: 8,8 cm / 3.46 inches
Blade Thickness: 3.0 mm / 0.118 inches
Weight: 133 grams / 3.1 ounces

This looks like a modern take on a Cotton Knife, or Cotton Sampler Knife.

So the Sabotage...

1) What steel was the prototype in? I see it's not marked.
2) Are we calling this a liner lock or what? If so those liners are Fing massive!
3) I hope it comes in another color...
4) Blade profile reminds me of the Emerson Iron Dragon
5) Is the frame/liners/whatever all Ti?
6) Bearings?

Brouwer... just take my money now and ship it when ready. A couple of others here also look very compelling.

I may not love every knife Spyderco makes, but I do love that they make so many knives and with different steels. Nonstop innovation and options.

Last edited:
This knife was easily my favorite new design from the meet. I ticks all my knife-boxes so to speak: it’s got a perfect bladelength, lowered edge for ergonomic cutting, a slender design easy to carry, lefty-friendly wireclip, and a cool carbon fiber handle with a nice red accent, i.e. the spacer. I absolutely loved it. As a bonus I got to meet Alistair Phillips, who is a very knowledgeable and friendly guy.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_alistairphillips.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_alistairphillips_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_alistairphillips_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_alistairphillips_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_alistairphillips_spacer.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_alistairphillips_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_alistairphillips_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_alistairphillips_profile_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_alistairphillips_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_alistairphillips_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 21 cm / 8.26 inches
Blade Length: 9 cm / 3.54 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 95 grams / 3.35 ounces

What a nice knife this Allistair Phillips designed blade,the sleek shape and handle,but,and don't get me wrong,again S30V steel!that is what turns me off,although it's a very good steel S30V i want something else,M4,3V or another "super steel".

Another customer we’ve seen before is the Reinhold Rhino. I have a weakness for bowie-type designs, and I certainly dig this cool little knife. The cutout in the handle for the opening hole is still ‘deceiving’ for my hand; I keep reaching for a linerlock to close this compression lock folder. I’m sure an evening watching TV opening and closing the Rhino will solve that. The ergos are really good, it fits my hand very well. As a spyderknut, I’m not complaining about the design upgrade to CTS-XHP and the G-10/Carbon Fiber laminate. And….the clip is reversible for lefties! Definitely worth the wait!

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_reinholdrhino.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_reinholdrhino_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_reinholdrhino_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_reinholdrhino_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_reinholdrhino_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_reinholdrhino_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_reinholdrhino_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_reinholdrhino_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_reinholdrhino_profile_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_reinholdrhino_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 15,1 cm / 5.95 inches