Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2018 Report

I’m about to commit heresy when I say I never really liked the Nirvana. Sure, I appreciated the cool design and production quality etc… But I just don’t like bead blasted or coated blades for my personal EDC knife. Enter the Paesan, love it! Straight to the top my wishlist. It’s in my favorite size category for pure user knives; folders with around 3,5 to 4 inch blades like the Stretch, ATR and Para 2. I’ve probably said it before and I’ll likely say it again in future Amsterdam Meet posts but this is a must-have, period.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_angle_4.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_angle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_angle_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 22 cm / 8.66 inches
Blade Length: 9,8 cm / 3.85 inches
Blade Thickness: 4 mm / 0.157 inches
Weight: 124 grams / ounces

The Techno 1 is, to me, a wonderfully quirky design. That massive overbuilt little beast still cuts like many much more ‘dainty’ knife designs. The Techno 2, was noticeably thinner. Although I appreciate the new blade profile and bright green anodized stand-offs, I’m not sure yet I like the thinner profile. Since these changes come from customer requests, for the custom version mind you, so I’m in the minority here.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_swedge.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_spacers.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_angle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_techno2_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 15,1 cm / inches
Blade Length: 6,5 cm / inches
Blade Thickness: 4 mm / inches
Weight: 100 grams / ounces

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Mr Blonde! The rhino is still on my want list. Hope it comes out soon.

JonesE

I liked the closed back and the different style lanyard hole on the Paysan.

Last edited:
Some beautiful designs. Thanks for sharing Mr Blonde, i look forward to Amsterdam Meet thread every year!

Im still excited for the Rhino. And I've got to say the Alistair Phillips design one is the winner so far. Don't change a thing on that one Spyderco! Unless its the steel to XHP or M390, we'll pay for the upgrade;)

Sadly, I’ve written off the Paysan due to the price. :(

On the other hand, the Allistar Phillips looks amazing! :)

Sadly (once again) this knife is trying my resolve to pick up a Pattada.:( I hate indecision.

The amalgam and the Allistar Phillips look fresh! Kinda wish the amalgam was an axis lock tho.

Always love the Amsterdam Spidie thread!

Thx!

Last edited:
The amalgam and the Allistar Phillips look fresh! Kinda wish the amalgam was an axis lock tho.

Always love the Amsterdam Spidie thread!

Thx!

I quite like the axis lock as well, but obviously the IP belongs to Benchmade for that design. Also, I like flippers, and I was a bit underwhelmed by the non-assisted axis lock flippers I've handled, mainly because the ramp that the axis lock rides on is designed to bias closed (like a lockback) and lacks a stiff "detent", so the flipper action felt mushy instead of snappy.

I'm really liking a lot of the knives from the meet! The Brouwer, Sabotage, Alistair, Paysan, Rhino...there are some great looking knives this year.

Last edited:
I quite like the axis lock as well, but obviously the IP belongs to Benchmade for that design. Also, I like flippers, and I was a bit underwhelmed by the non-assisted axis lock flippers I've handled, mainly because the ramp that the axis lock rides on is designed to bias closed (like a lockback) and lacks a stiff "detent", so the flipper action felt mushy instead of snappy.

I'm really liking a lot of the knives from the meet! The Brouwer, Sabotage, Alistair, Paysan, Rhino...there are some great looking knives this year.
I was referring to spydercos version of it. The lock they use on the manix. I feel it would suit the knife nicely.

Ah, the ball bearing lock. I'm a big fan of the Manix.

Unfortunately the ball bearing lock is not flipper compatible, since there's a solid steel backing right where the flipper needs to go. It is a nice locking mechanism though and it would be nice to see more designs with the ball bearing lock.

Last edited:
Another interesting new design was the Kevin Smock design collaboration. To me, it looked like a new take on the compression lock. A large button appeard to be connected to the locking tab that pushes away the locking tab to unlock the blade. It was very easy to operate. Eric did mention that they are still working to refine the system, so there could be some changes in the final production version.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_halfopen_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_button.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Blade Length: 8,8 cm / 3.46 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.118 inches
Weight: 104 grams / 3.66 ounces

The Hanan was shown last year and I can’t really recognize many differences from before. However, Eric pointed out the CQI to the pivot. If you look inside you see phosphor bronze washers, indicating the new ball bearing system that uses bigger balls and slightly thicker steel rings. It certainly flips like a champ. The design reminds me of the Positron, but the Hanan seems a bit more ‘dressed-up’ with that bolster and curvy blade.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan_flipper.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan_angle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_hanan_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 17,3 cm / 6.83 inches
Blade Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inches
Blade Thickness: 3.0 mm / 0.118 inches
Weight: 82 grams / 2.9 ounces

I got a chance to handle the Lil’ Native with a compression lock at SHOT and last year’s Amsterdam Meet. And although it’s an impressively cool translation of the Native design, I mean it actually felt like handling a dragongly sized Native, it still wasn’t quite what I liked. After collecting and using Spyderco’s for almost 20 years, a Native kind of ‘has to have a backlock’. I can’t give a rational explanation. You all have fun with those compression lock lil’ Natives, this backlock version will be mine.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative_holes.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative_pivot.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative_linerless.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_lilnative_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 15,7 cm / 5.94 inches
Blade Length: 6,3 cm / 2.47 inches
Blade Thickness: 3,7 mm / 0.125 inches
Weight: 60 grams / 2.1 ounces

Reactions: Mo2
Thank you for putting in the work to produce this thread. Each year I look forward to it. That McNees design is neat!

The Mantra 3 is making my Delica collection look a bit worried. The overall profile is very similar to my beloved Delica designs. There are, however, many differences – the materials, flipper action just to name a few. Customer feedback on the Mantra 1 and 2 apparently was that many customers didn’t like the Ti handle scratching easily, or the ‘staining’ M4 steel blade. This, as well as CQI on the flipper/ball bearing system, has resulted in the Mantra 3. A cool option for those who want something more upscale than a Delica, but still in the same size and weight range.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_mantra3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_mantra3_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_mantra3__ramp.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_mantra3_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_mantra3__inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_mantra3__flipper.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_mantra3__closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_mantra3__clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_mantra3_steel.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_mantra3__clipside.jpg

Specifications