Photos Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

im going to buy the endela so hard. i carry a delica at work and an endura on the weekend and it will replace both. it seriously looks perfect
Maybe 2 or 3!!!! Lol that made me laugh.... buy it so hard

Mr. Blonde thanks for the work you are putting into this, you may not be a professional photographer but you're getting great angles and detail! Excited for more LW compression locks, those tend to be my favorite a Spydies

Thanks for posting this!

Holy crap am I excited for that Dragonfly Wharncliffe! I've been preaching about a Chaparall Wharncliffe, but the Dragonfly Wharncliffe is going to be darn near perfect.

That Sage LW looks pretty sweet too. I'm really glad they went with the Bi-Directional Texturing that they use one the Chaparral rather than the frn texture used on the Delicas.

Looks like I'll be grabbing a Dragonfly Wharncliffe, Sage LW, and Para 3 LW so far... Damn you Spyderco.

Can you comment on the Emphasis' size, is it comparable to a Manix? Tenacious? Reminds me of both.

A ZDP Police is right up my alley!
I’m with ya. My most carried is the ZDP endura, just wicked. Shorts weather all the time where I am.. perfect carry weight. I think/hope I could fit the forthcoming police ZDP without much trouble.

Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Native Chief
I have to say that the Native Chief was my favorite of the new knives that Spyderco showed at the meet. Call it nostalgia, as I remember seeing that concept design on the forums back in 1999 or so. This was back in the day, when you had to put a knife on a flatbed scanner, cover it with a cloth and you had a digital image you could share online! That first design was added to the wonderful mini-museum display of the native in the Spyderco Factory Outlet. The current Native Chief flows from the current Native 5 design, and features linerless G-10 handle construction and everything else you’re familiar with on a G-10 Native five, just a lot longer!

This knife felt very light and solid in the hand. It felt lighter and thinner than the Emphasis. The Native Chief’s long slender blade also reminded me of a large Calypso. I can’t wait to get my hands on my own production sample of the native Chief, it’s very high on my wish list!

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_inhand-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_inhand-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_profile-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_profile-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_profile_closed-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_profile_closed-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_choil.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_angle-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_blade-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_blade-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_spine-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_spine-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_jimping.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_inside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_angle-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 23,1 cm / 9.09 inches
Blade Length: 10,4 cm / 4.09 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 76 grams / 2.68 ounces

I have no information on pricing or specific release dates.

Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – BaliYo
I was happy to see the BaliYo getting an upgrade at this year’s Amsterdam Meet. If you like knives, you’ll probably like balisongs as well, or at least played with one. A BaliYo takes the game of the balisong knife and it puts it in a pen. My co-workers might not always appreciate the clickety-clack of me flipping a pen during meetings, but a BaliYo never bores me.

The most noticeable new feature of the new BaliYo are the wider arms with slots, to improve the grip during tricks. However, the wire clips have also been tuned, they are now less likely to catch on threads in your pocket and they won’t move as much as the old ones. The arms appeared thicker as well, offering even more protection against breaking. It looks like the new BaliYo will be part of the Lightweight series. This one’s absolutely on my wish list!

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_angle-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_angle-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_profile-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_profile-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_pivots.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_pen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_open-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_open-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_closed-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_closed-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_slots.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_clips.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_closed-3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo_angle-4.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_baliyo-2.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 20 cm / 7.87 inches
Pen Length: 10,6 cm / 4.17 inches
Closed Length: 10,8 cm / 4.25 inches
Weight: 17 grams / 0.59 ounces

Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Byrd Harrier
The Byrd Harrier in G10 is another great way to catch the Spyderco Bug on a budget. Knife snobs might scoff at its ‘made in China’ label and its 'lesser blade steel'. However, back in the mid- to late 1990s, this would have probably been considered a premium factory knife.

The quality is impressive. And I can tell from handling that the Byrd Harrier will make a great working knife. One you wouldn't mind scuffing up. I'm the first to admit that I do think about what I'm doing with my more expensive Spyderco knives. So keeping a budget option around makes sense. Who knows, perhaps the Byrd knives see more actual 'hard use' cutting than more expensive knives?

This is the last knife I can show you from this year's meet, and I'm done for today. However, my report on the Spyderco Amsterdam Meet isn't finished yet...

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_angle-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_profile_closed_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_spine-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_profile-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_jimping.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_choil.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_inside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_choil.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_inhand-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_blade-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_angle-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 19,1 cm / 7.51 inches
Blade Length: 8,6 cm / 3.38 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 63 grams / 2.22 ounces

I know many will be glad that after +- 20 years the Chief is finally coming out but I just don't see it. I wish they had made a more reasonably sized "Big Native" around 3.5-3.7" and not so pointy.

I'll be in for an FRN Police 4 once the premium steels are out, may consider the Sage 5 LW also depending on how I like the new P3LW (and FRN comp locks in general)

Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Police 4 Lightweight

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_police4lightweight.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_police4lightweight_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_police4lightweight_clipside.jpg

Insert "It's Happening!!!" Ron Paul gif.

I've been really looking forward to this one since first hearing about it. G10 is nice, but I actually like the feel of FRN better. Shocker, I know, but it keeps its grippiness longer and feels lighter to me and I've never found it to be lacking in strength. I got the Police 4, but just didn't love the K390. I use 1095 all the time and have no problem with carbon steel, but I prefer stainless on modern knives and I found that the K390 developed pepper spots even after having a patina. I'm sure it's a great steel and it seemed to take a nice edge, just not what I want in a modern edc. So when I initially heard about the lightweight on instagram and saw that it would also have k390, I was a little disappointed.

The P4 LW will be VG-10. We're also planning K390 (Midnight blue) & ZDP (BRG) in the future.

sal

Then Sal comes in with this diamond of an update! VG-10 and FRN for me! Maybe some ZDP if I'm feeling froggy in the future.

Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Emphasis

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_emphasis.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_emphasis_profile-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_emphasis_profile-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_emphasis_clipside.jpg

When I first saw this one on instagram, it reminded me of a cross between a Resilience and Chief. So I asked if this was the closest we'd get to a Chief, which I've been hoping they'd make for years since I saw pictures of the prototype at Golden, and was told probably...

Even when I saw the next knife, I am still looking forward to the Emphasis. I hope to do a blog post at KnifeThoughts.com comparing the Resilience, Emphasis, Native Chief, and maybe even Police 4 FRN in the future.

Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Native Chief

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_profile-2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_profile-1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_clipside.jpg

But when they posted this I knew I'd been bamboozled!!!

Again, insert "It's Happening!!!" Ron Paul gif here. So, So, So excited.

It's the year of the long slender knives. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back