Spyderco and the Corpse Flower

Thought I'd share this. We have a corpse flower that bloomed here in Houston, and there's a great shot of the museum's horticulturist using a combo edge Delica to cut a hole in the bottom of the flower.

Photo HERE

For more info on the corpse flower affectionately known as "Lois" check out this thread.

Very interesting. Now, is that the flower that is named so because of the smell it gives off? I remember reading about a flower in Africa that has a tremendously overpowering smell of decomposing flesh.

Very interesting. Now, is that the flower that is named so because of the smell it gives off? I remember reading about a flower in Africa that has a tremendously overpowering smell of decomposing flesh.

Yep. It's from Sumatra and it gives off the rotting flesh smell to attract the bugs that handle the pollination. Here it's easier to just cut a little hole and pollinate it yourself.

Yep. It's from Sumatra and it gives off the rotting flesh smell to attract the bugs that handle the pollination. Here it's easier to just cut a little hole and pollinate it yourself.

Thanks. I had a feeling that I'd seen that somewhere before. It was an Ecology course in college when we first read about it. So how did the Delica work out?

Thanks. I had a feeling that I'd seen that somewhere before. It was an Ecology course in college when we first read about it. So how did the Delica work out?

I'll answer that for you. The Delica works great ! I know mine does :D

Nice pics and that's a freaky looking flower :eek: looks like it can swallow a whole person in one gulp :eek:

Spyderco has been criticized sometimes for trademarking the Spyderhole. "How can you trademark a hole?" is the common question/complaint. But here you see that trademark in action. The knife in this picture can be clearly identified. And that was valuable for Spyderco (yes, it was! It prompted this thread which can only be seen as "good buzz" for Spyderco. And that is real value.) It clearly creates brand-name recognition... and that is basically the definition of a trademark.

Spyderco has been criticized sometimes for trademarking the Spyderhole. "How can you trademark a hole?" is the common question/complaint. But here you see that trademark in action. The knife in this picture can be clearly identified. And that was valuable for Spyderco (yes, it was! It prompted this thread which can only be seen as "good buzz" for Spyderco. And that is real value.) It clearly creates brand-name recognition... and that is basically the definition of a trademark.

Absolutely. Another good example is all the Spydie-spotting in movies. Some of these blow my mind. A knife flashes on screen behind the actors in a sock drawer for all of 2 microseconds and LOTS of people spot it. The Spyderhole is pure genius in every way. Its functionality, efficiency, and marketing use make it one of the designs that continue to impress me. :thumbup:

Back