Spyderco Ayoob folder

Just bought one. I was skeptical. Handling moves of flips and pivots , and angles of attack opens some serious blade joy after a while. "Almiste" handles are unique. Any comments?

I'm buying one from a B.F member. Just sent him the M.O. for it today.
I'm getting the plain edge one.
Can't wait to get it :)

What type of blade is on yours?

BTW: sept tactical knives mag has a nice review on it.

My (serrated) Ayoob came in on the friendly brown van today, I really like 2 things about it...it's so slim it 'disappears' in my pocket. And I like how the design 'feels' in hand. As you said, some serious blade joy.

I understand that this should be a fast opener, due to it's less degree of pivot from closed to fully open. Does anyone find this to be the case?

Got the plain edge but I may have to go for SE also. This is one "cool" folder that gives a unique feel and function to the art of blade use. Hope you enjoy it as much as this knife advocate, user, and collector,etc.

In Aiki,
Silver Wolf

Just my opinion, but...I got a NIB fully serrated one about 2 weeks ago and I absolutely didn't like the way it sat in my hand, it really felt awkward. But its working out well, a friend at work is going to EMT school and it should really be an effective emergency knife, i.e. cutting seatbelts etc. So it will be his when he's ready to go. Overall it was a good knife, just didn't fit me.

Originally posted by texascarl
it's so slim it 'disappears' in my pocket.

Glad to hear that!

Was wondering if someone could tell me when you open it does it click open from the closed position?

Not sure what that is call, but the spyderco salsa does that.

It kind of locks closed, so when you open the blade it clicks past the close position, then it click again when it gets locked in the open postion.
Not sure if all spyderco folders do that or just the salsa I tried out.

I am glad that this topic came up. I have spoken for one as well and eagerly await it. I will be getting a serrated edge.
Look forward to posting my impressions on it.

I got one of these a few weeks ago. It is a nice, high quality knife. Solid lockup! Opening and closing was a bit stiff to begin with. A little Balistol has made is smooth as glass.

Handling did feel a bit strange at first. But not anymore.

Edge geometry is good and the steel takes a nice sharp edge.

One of the best things about this knife is how easily it is to carry it quietly and comfortably. It sits so low in the pocket that it's almost invisible. If you carry it in the iwb of dark trousers, it IS invisible. Yet it's still quick to draw.

Good to see this knife getting the recognition it deserves!

Pahl,
I don't feel any click when folding this knife. It makes a definite "pop" with either the standard "thumber" opening or with snap pinch inertia opening. The lock is solid tight. Another aspect I like about this knife is the potential use as a contact weapon when closed for pommel strikes. It only extends ~ 1/4 in. on either side of my closed fist making it not so obvious but capable of delivering good force. Silver Wolf

The Ayoob is one of my favorites too. However, for those of you who require a quick and reliable draw from the pocket be cautious of carrying the Ayoob in your right rear pants pocket. Because of the design of the handle, the blade tang/"woodpecker head" area (in the closed position) often snags in the corner of the pocket during extraction. It can be overcome with the proper technique and practice. Just a heads up.

I got my Ayoob in the mail today.
WOW! thats my first thoughts on this knife.
Also very very sharp out of the box. I would have to say the sharpest knife I have ever had.
I thought I was getting preaty good at sharpening, but this ayoob has one very sharp edge on it. Maybe is has to do with the vg-10 steel the blade is made out of?

Anyway I'm going to give the knife sometime as a EDC and then post a review of the knife along with lots of photos.

If your thinking of buying a Spyderco Ayoob and have some questions about it let me know.

Mine arrived today. All I can say is WOW.
I really like this knife. I have the serrated blade. Built like a tank. Extremely comfortable for my hand. Probably scares the hell out of the sheeple. Only drawback.

I will try to post more as I use it more. Right now, love it!

Of course I am sort of a knife whore......

Originally posted by Ed T
Probably scares the hell out of the sheeple. Only drawback.

My thoughts too:)

Very light and easy to carry.
I took the clip off mine and just carry it in my front left pocket with my bilfold.
It ride tip up behind my bilfold.
Can not even tell its there. First couple day I keep checking my pocket to make sure it did not fall out :)

Taking the clip off did two thing for me.
1: No one can see that I have it on me, at all!

2: I do service work and I'm on the floor alot on my left side.
Was worried the clip may scatch floors.

I think that Spyderco puts a very good edge on most of their knives, but the VG-10, and ATS-34 knives of theirs that I have had have always had the sharpest edges.

Back