Spyderco Brad Southard Flipper

I was checking out upcoming knives for spyderco which has to be my favorite company for folders and Im in love. Never owned a flipper and it just looks awesome and its got a 204p blade. But its saying Made in Taiwaaaaaaan. Does anyone know if this is true and why this beauty wouldnt be coming from Sal and Eric in Golden? Or am I just mistaken? I already got my preorder for the para2 in 204p in and cant wait for that one to come in.

dont let that bother you, the sage 2 is made in taiwan ais an awesome knife in every way

I was checking out upcoming knives for spyderco which has to be my favorite company for folders and Im in love. Never owned a flipper and it just looks awesome and its got a 204p blade. But its saying Made in Taiwaaaaaaan. Does anyone know if this is true and why this beauty wouldnt be coming from Sal and Eric in Golden? Or am I just mistaken? I already got my preorder for the para2 in 204p in and cant wait for that one to come in.

This has been mentioned in several threads already, over the last year or 2 as well. Sal mentioned that the Golden plant is operating at maximum capacity and has been for a while now. They just cannot make that knife here because of the workload. In addition to making all the current US models, they are doing the QC here for all the imported knives, plus warranty and repair stuff on top of that. Spyderco isn't a monster sized company that runs production 24/7, at last count it was just upwards of around 50 or so employees. I'll see if I can dig up a link.

The profits from the knife come back to the US, the steel is US made, the designer of the knife is an American, etc. There is nothing at all wrong with the knives that are coming in from Taiwan. The attention to detail is on par with customs in many cases and fit and finish is excellent. If it wasn't for the factory in Taiwan, we'd have never seen the Gayle Bradley, the Sage series, Chaparral, and a bunch of others.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...50-for-a-taiwan-knife?p=10970691#post10970691
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...50-for-a-taiwan-knife?p=10967215#post10967215

I can't believe I'm reading this zombie thread again when it was just locked not even 2 weeks ago.

FYI, this is an international message board.

This has been mentioned in several threads already, over the last year or 2 as well. Sal mentioned that the Golden plant is operating at maximum capacity and has been for a while now. They just cannot make that knife here because of the workload. In addition to making all the current US models, they are doing the QC here for all the imported knives, plus warranty and repair stuff on top of that. Spyderco isn't a monster sized company that runs production 24/7, at last count it was just upwards of around 50 or so employees. I'll see if I can dig up a link.

The profits from the knife come back to the US, the steel is US made, the designer of the knife is an American, etc. There is nothing at all wrong with the knives that are coming in from Taiwan. The attention to detail is on par with customs in many cases and fit and finish is excellent.

I just saw that. SOrry. I was going through the Spydie forum page by page just after I posted this like a DILL HOLE. SOrry guys. After reading that thread I put my preorder in. I couldnt help it after watching the youtube video on it. I love that knife and I didnt think that would happen since the PARA2 is my favorite knife right now.

I can't believe I'm reading this zombie thread again when it was just locked not even 2 weeks ago.

FYI, this is an international message board.

Sorry EZ Bake. I just realized that and feel like a total A$$. I need to seriously pay more attention.

Sorry EZ Bake. I just realized that and feel like a total A$$. I need to seriously pay more attention.

No sweat man - it happens (I've done the same thing). I just dread the responses that are going to follow.

Meh, you live and learn man. Congrats on the pre-order. I'm most likely going to snag one, but I'm keeping my eyes on the prize (the Techno) and have had to exercise some pretty serious discipline to stay away from a few good deals I've seen lately and keep that paypal account at the $200 mark.

The real test is going to be if I see one of those Green PM2s before I see a Techno :)

Yes, it will be produced in Tiawan, and it will be made by Eric &Sal just like in Golden. You make yourself look misinformed when you talk shit about Tiawaneese made products,some of Spyderco's best Knives come from there. Tiawan is where some of the most technologically advanced products in the World. I dare say I would rather have my knife made there than here in the land of taking short cuts. If it was made in China, than you would be half right in complaining.

No sweat man - it happens (I've done the same thing). I just dread the responses that are going to follow.

Meh, you live and learn man. Congrats on the pre-order. I'm most likely going to snag one, but I'm keeping my eyes on the prize (the Techno) and have had to exercise some pretty serious discipline to stay away from a few good deals I've seen lately and keep that paypal account at the $200 mark.

The real test is going to be if I see one of those Green PM2s before I see a Techno :)

Wow that techno is really cool. I seriously need to get on it and do more research on the up and coming spydies. I really like that ed Schempp tuff too.

And I deserve any comments coming my way for not doing my homework first on a previous post.

Yes, it will be produced in Tiawan, and it will be made by Eric &Sal just like in Golden. You make yourself look misinformed when you talk shit about Tiawaneese made products,some of Spyderco's best Knives come from there. Tiawan is where some of the most technologically advanced products in the World are made. I dare say I would rather have my knife made there than here in the land of taking short cuts. If it was made in China, than you would be half right in complaining.

Is the Southard going to be full production? I don't know if I can snag one right away, but if they'll be around for a little while, I'm definitely getting one.

Yes, it will be produced in Tiawan, and it will be made by Eric &Sal just like in Golden. You make yourself look misinformed when you talk shit about Tiawaneese made products,some of Spyderco's best Knives come from there. Tiawan is where some of the most technologically advanced products in the World. I dare say I would rather have my knife made there than here in the land of taking short cuts. If it was made in China, than you would be half right in complaining.

I wasnt talking SHIT about Taiwan I was asking a question from forum members who have more experience than I do because I trust their word and would rather get their opinions anyways. FYI

I wasnt talking SHIT about Taiwan I was asking a question from forum members who have more experience than I do because I trust their word and would rather get their opinions anyways. FYI

Yeah... I'd go ahead and edit that first post or you're going to have a lot of folks come in and take it the wrong way. Not many will be constructive (if the last thread was any indication).

I just saw that. SOrry. I was going through the Spydie forum page by page just after I posted this like a DILL HOLE. SOrry guys. After reading that thread I put my preorder in. I couldnt help it after watching the youtube video on it. I love that knife and I didnt think that would happen since the PARA2 is my favorite knife right now.

No worries, happens to the best of us. The forum is here so we can read, share, and learn about things we all seem to enjoy (knives).

That knife though is going to be incredible. I'll see if we can get this locked down.

Yes, it will be produced in Tiawan, and it will be made by Eric &Sal just like in Golden. You make yourself look misinformed when you talk shit about Tiawaneese made products,some of Spyderco's best Knives come from there. Tiawan is where some of the most technologically advanced products in the World are made. I dare say I would rather have my knife made there than here in the land of taking short cuts. If it was made in China, than you would be half right in complaining.

No need to get volatile. Someone could very well insult you because you cannot even spell the name of the country correctly, not once, not twice, but 3 times. We're all here to learn. Let's just be civil.

I'm probably more excited about the flipper than I have been about any other knife. I love everything about it. I can honestly say I would not change anything about it. The only problem is I can't afford it:grumpy: same thing happened with the 056X

Some pics to taunt everyone.
spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southardfolder.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southardfolder_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southardfolder_closed1.jpg

Thanks EZ BAKE and RevDevil. Appreciate it.

And to Seelow123 Its freaking beautiful. I was just wondering why it was being made in taiwan when I started this as Im still very new to everything And then I read the previous threads about it and got the answers afterwards.

I have no doubts whatsoever in the quality of the Taichung Blades. They ooze perfection.

Back on topic. The Southard flipper is going to be amazing. but you guys already knew that.

This is one of the few Spyders that I don't even have a second thought about. It looks like a winner to me. I'd like some micarta instead of G10 but I can't always get what I want.

I will have to pick this one up for sure, regardless of where it's made. What's the MSRP gonna be on these bad boys?

Back