Spyderco Brad Southard Flipper

It is not listed as a sprint. OTOH, I would guess availability will be very, very, VERY tight. Thinking inverse square of Yo2...

It is not listed as a sprint. OTOH, I would guess availability will be very, very, VERY tight. Thinking inverse square of Yo2...

Yeah, I'm worried about that too. And kind of worried I didn't put a preorder in when they were up.

I don't think you guys should worry too much about getting one, its gona be a regular production model after all. Taiwan does a pretty good job at meeting demands from what I've seen. Plus at the price point of this knife I don't see it selling a ton of units, I'm not saying its overpriced just that its more than your average guy spends. Yeah its popular on the forums but thats only a small portion in the big picture..the mass appeal of this knife probably isn't going to be too overwhelming. Thats just my thoughts.

I hope you're right :D and think you might be, mostly because of the price point. My recollection is that overseas plants have not had the production shortfalls that Golden has often had, but there was a period when the GB was impossible to get for quite a spell - but it's half the price of this (and a huge bargain, too, by the way). We'll see!

I don't think you guys should worry too much about getting one, its gona be a regular production model after all. Taiwan does a pretty good job at meeting demands from what I've seen. Plus at the price point of this knife I don't see it selling a ton of units, I'm not saying its overpriced just that its more than your average guy spends. Yeah its popular on the forums but thats only a small portion in the big picture..the mass appeal of this knife probably isn't going to be too overwhelming. Thats just my thoughts.

I was going to ask the same question about a lefty version.... would be mighty cool of you spyderco hah.

I doubt it, since it's a Taiwan made knife. If I recall correctly, the Yo2 is so limited because it's a golden made knife, and sal has stated many times that the golden plant is tapped out as far as manufacturing goes. I also recall him saying something to the affect of them doing something in the near future to fix that, but I could be mistaken.

Anyway, my point is that the Taiwan maker can hopefully keep up with demand, because demand will be HIGH!

I doubt it, since it's a Taiwan made knife. If I recall correctly, the Yo2 is so limited because it's a golden made knife, and sal has stated many times that the golden plant is tapped out as far as manufacturing goes. I also recall him saying something to the affect of them doing something in the near future to fix that, but I could be mistaken.

Anyway, my point is that the Taiwan maker can hopefully keep up with demand, because demand will be HIGH!

Everything you said plus Sal said they did one run of Yo2's and then planned to wait for feedback beforr the second, so basically limited availability after the first run was planned.

Made in Taichung, Taiwan

Regular production in runs of 1200

(According to a recent post by Sal on another forum)

Really looking forward to this on:eagerness:
Any idea when about we can expect it?

It looks like there is no Stainless insert on the framelock? Maybe the pics are of the Proto and the production model will have it? They put it in the Military Ti why not here on this model? Or is it not Ti?

I'm wondering the same thing. It is titanium, just hope they have a steel insert. Guess we'll know more closer to release date. Could be why it's been pushed back from 4thQ this year to beginning of next year.

Does this handle look a little small to anyone else? Wish the handle was same length as the para.

As someone else posted, the first run will be 1200, which is not a lot of knives, but the price point is high - looking at the availability of the Tuff, I'd guess the Southard will be available for at least a month after it hits the dealers' shelves...but that's just a guess. We probably won't find out until 2013 in any case... :(

Back