1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Brad Southard Flipper

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by racingfirefighter, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    No chance they're gonna make a lefty version, is there?

2. phillipsted

phillipsted

Oct 4, 2010
    If Sal spent all the time and money to develop the tooling for this knife, I bet it will be in regular (if limited) production.

TedP

3. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    It is not listed as a sprint. OTOH, I would guess availability will be very, very, VERY tight. Thinking inverse square of Yo2...

4. jackthedog

jackthedog

Dec 21, 2009
    Yeah, I'm worried about that too. And kind of worried I didn't put a preorder in when they were up.

5. Rudeco

Rudeco

Aug 22, 2010
    Need a Pre Order Site!! SOS SOS

6. pry

pry

May 24, 2011
    I don't think you guys should worry too much about getting one, its gona be a regular production model after all. Taiwan does a pretty good job at meeting demands from what I've seen. Plus at the price point of this knife I don't see it selling a ton of units, I'm not saying its overpriced just that its more than your average guy spends. Yeah its popular on the forums but thats only a small portion in the big picture..the mass appeal of this knife probably isn't going to be too overwhelming. Thats just my thoughts.

7. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    I hope you're right :D and think you might be, mostly because of the price point. My recollection is that overseas plants have not had the production shortfalls that Golden has often had, but there was a period when the GB was impossible to get for quite a spell - but it's half the price of this (and a huge bargain, too, by the way). We'll see!

8. darkaether

darkaether

Dec 23, 2006
    that sure would be nice. A lefty flipper or compression lock would be a guaranteed sale for me.

9. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    Same here!

10. TTTis

TTTis Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I was going to ask the same question about a lefty version.... would be mighty cool of you spyderco hah.

11. JerryIsAlive

JerryIsAlive

Jun 13, 2012
    I want this!

12. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010
    I doubt it, since it's a Taiwan made knife. If I recall correctly, the Yo2 is so limited because it's a golden made knife, and sal has stated many times that the golden plant is tapped out as far as manufacturing goes. I also recall him saying something to the affect of them doing something in the near future to fix that, but I could be mistaken.

Anyway, my point is that the Taiwan maker can hopefully keep up with demand, because demand will be HIGH!

13. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    Everything you said plus Sal said they did one run of Yo2's and then planned to wait for feedback beforr the second, so basically limited availability after the first run was planned.

14. JDunn709

JDunn709

Jan 7, 2009
    Made in Taichung, Taiwan

Regular production in runs of 1200

(According to a recent post by Sal on another forum)

15. Juraj

Juraj

Aug 5, 2009
    Really looking forward to this on:eagerness:
    Any idea when about we can expect it?

16. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    The comp lock is easy enough to unlock with either hand.

17. El-Duderino

El-Duderino

Apr 17, 2011
    I'm wondering the same thing. It is titanium, just hope they have a steel insert. Guess we'll know more closer to release date. Could be why it's been pushed back from 4thQ this year to beginning of next year.

18. JerryIsAlive

JerryIsAlive

Jun 13, 2012
    Does this handle look a little small to anyone else? Wish the handle was same length as the para.

19. Juraj

Juraj

Aug 5, 2009
    Para handle is a bit big for me, so.....nope:)

20. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    As someone else posted, the first run will be 1200, which is not a lot of knives, but the price point is high - looking at the availability of the Tuff, I'd guess the Southard will be available for at least a month after it hits the dealers' shelves...but that's just a guess. We probably won't find out until 2013 in any case... :(