Spyderco Bushcraft, thoughts?

Hi David,

01 was the preferred steel for Bushcrafters. Since this model was designed by Bushcrafters for Bushcrafters, we felt we should follow the proper path. Because the handle was so etraordinarily comfortable to use for long periods of time, I felt the handle could be also used for other outdoor solutions. My preference would have been S90V as an optimal compromise. Also, now we have Carpenter's version. Those two steels in a FFG will offer exceptional cutting power, edge retention and still provide corrosion resistance. More difficult to sharpen in the field.

Hi Gine,

To go with something like 3V, we gain in toughness, but lose the corrosion resistance. Not sure one needs such toughness on a 5" blade?

sal

Where is the Carpenters version???????????????? :confused::confused::confused: I need to know!

For bushcrafting it's simple: it's the philosophy

Going back to the roots, going into nature with the bare minimum on equipment.
A knife and a firesteel :)
Survival based on skills

In this philosophy a traditional knife in toolsteel, wooden handle and leather sheath is preferred over high tech industrial made materials

Ok, I understand the philisophical desire for tradition, I just disagree in its premise. I want any tool I own and use to be made form the BEST material, Im not will to gamble for tradition and philosophy but to each is own. As for maintaining an edge on 3v, S30v, 154cm, S90v etc... they are all more(some much more) difficult than 01. Ill take maintainability over supreme edge holding in the wilderness anyday.

I agree though, that "knife knuts" would be more excited about a "Super Steel" in ANY blade rather than a more practical steel for the purpose.

Hi David,

01 was the preferred steel for Bushcrafters. Since this model was designed by Bushcrafters for Bushcrafters, we felt we should follow the proper path. Because the handle was so etraordinarily comfortable to use for long periods of time, I felt the handle could be also used for other outdoor solutions. My preference would have been S90V as an optimal compromise. Also, now we have Carpenter's version. Those two steels in a FFG will offer exceptional cutting power, edge retention and still provide corrosion resistance. More difficult to sharpen in the field.

Hi Gine,

To go with something like 3V, we gain in toughness, but lose the corrosion resistance. Not sure one needs such toughness on a 5" blade?

sal

Good point sal,A 20cp model would be great.I would like to see a kydex sheath system for that variation.....

I had one of the new ones with the G10 handles but sold it. My thoughts? If you like this type of knife then go for it. Fit and finish is flawless. The handle is as perfect as you'll ever get. The only reason I sold it is because I found I prefer more of a drop point rather than a spear point. The blade shape is just my personal preference. I certainly can't fault the knife in any way.

This thread, and the excitement of a FFG version in an alternate steel got me so jazzed, that I ordered one in the O1 steel - even though I know it will rust like mad in my hands! :mad:

Sal - Save me, and get the FFG version out right away. :) :) :D
Please

Last edited:
After 3+ years of search and many many knives later (customs and whatnot) - finally a knife for me.

IMG_0383.jpg

The bushcraft is THE KNIFE for me. Fit and finish + handle ergonomics and size + blade steel + blade shape + scandi grind + multiple sheath carry options = all I need in a knife. And it's a joy to use it.
Only by using it one can truly appreciate the quality of this knife and the effort that went in the design.

Too bad I can't EDC one....(hint: scandi folder?)

I just got my Bushcraft today, and all I can say is WOW! Nothing at all what I had expected, based on the pictures and specifications listed in the advertisements, and sale listings. This knife has a lot going on here! First, let me say that the fit and finish is much better than a lot of custom bushcraft knives I have had. In addition, the handle shape is something to behold, and that you cannot discern in the pictures. There are curves on curves, that makes it a knife you just do not want to let go of. :eek: The polish on the g-10 gives it a real nice chatoyance - no reason a working blade cannot be attractive as well. :) The knife is nicely balanced in the hand, with great proportions. I really like the handle heavy feel. I have XL large hands, and it is nicely hand filling for me. Should eliminate that tight fisted hand cramping that you can get with too small of a handle. I cannot wait to give it a workout this weekend. Sal - This knife is some great work!

How did it preform for you Davidz? lol i just poped a second one for a backup!

How did it preform for you Davidz? lol i just poped a second one for a backup!

I took it hunting with me yesterday, and it was a slow day and I was itching to try it out, so I did some whittling and tested the point for the shear joy of it. It was great! The handle geometry allowed great comfort in a variety of positions. I tested it on some real hard dead wood, and it really performed well. After some use, I could see some areas getting dull as I looked at the edge reflection, and could feel it too - but the real joy came when I brought it home. It is super easy to get it back to hair shaving sharp. This knife is by far my favorite user! If I could have my wish, I would love to see Sal make a whole series of these using this handle, with different blade shapes and steels for a variety of tasks. I will be using it today as well.

Is the sheath too closely fitted for swapping the knife for left hand carry?

Back