Review Spyderco C19 vs Mini-Barage 585-2 as Carry Knife

Hello members. I recently got the urge to buy a new folding knife. Looked at available knives in my price range and ordered a mini-barage 585-2. My folding knives are generally 4.0 inches or less folded length, general purpose, single blade, that I carry almost all the time when I leave the house; I pocket knife, car keys, billfold, etc. When I come home, I empty my pockets. For the past 25 years or so, I have carried my Spyderco C19, ATS 34, Aluminum scales designed by Robert Terzuola. A great knife with a strong blade. I have switched off to other single bladed folders from time to time but my first love is the C19. Lately though, I have begun looking at other, similar knives (wandering eye?), not to retire it but to share the burden. The Benchmark appeared to approach the C19's specs. so I ordered one. Scheduled to arrive next week. I especially like it's ambidextrous controls---I'm a lefty. However, since I placed the order, I've gotten a little apprehensive. Can I really replace the C19 with the 582-2 from time to time or will the 582-2 fall short. May I solicit you opinions? Thank you in advance.

:) Welcome Ken !

It's perfectly normal to be 2nd guessing and having doubts . But , you already ordered , so THAT arrow has flown !

Best just relax until you get hands on . Then you can be the judge for your own purposes .

Ultimately , YOUR opinion is what matters because for almost any knife , some will love and some will hate .

But next time ...ask questions BEFORE ordering ! ;)

The barrage series is fantastic, and can be easily deassisted if you don't like the assisted action. I wouldn't fret over it.

I've got an assisted and de-assisted mini barrage, nice size for when I don't want my pocket filled w/a big blade. Mine have handled some bigger chore for smaller knives, great little tools. I prefer the de-assisted action myself, both of mine are good quality and well put together. I de-assisted the one w/wooden scales and gun-stock checkering, I work carry it more 'cause I think it looks a little nicer than the black one. The assisted is well used and still looks good, no broken springs yet but neither are used hard or often anymore.

The only thing I've noticed is the smaller handle will fatigue you're hand more when using it hard vs a knife w/a little more handle but that's true w/any smaller knife.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen for your good comments. I checked out the mini barrage but can't get into it. Just not what I'm used to. Will send it back. Instead lucked into a pristine Spyderco Kiwi with jigged bone handles. Wanted that knife for quite a few years. The knife was discontinued about 10 years ago. Paid a premium but couldn't help myself.

Back