Spyderco Chaparral and Urban

Nice comparison pics, always appreciated. Slip joints no longer interest me, but I do like the looks of the Urban, and I know some places can't have locking knives. The Chap lightweight has always interested me. I guess the thin lock bar has been a concern for me, but if it was linerless I would have tried it already anyway. I do like it as is though, and maybe someday I will give it a shot.

The Chaparral is kinda liner less in that it has nested bits in there to support the locking mechanism

Now the Urban as quite a strong back spring substantially stronger than say a Swiss Army knife, so you do get a sense of security from it.
G2

Gary, I am late to the party on this. I have both and love both. I think the Chaparral is the best locking gentleman's knife, period. I have a couple of them. I think the Urban has the potential to be the best non-locking folder, but it has sometimes been plagued wtih problems. My K390 is a knife I adore and use quite a bit. It is just right. I have the AEB-L version and it has major issues as did the whole Sprint run. I am not sure what is wrong with Maniago. My Roadies (I've bought and given away 10 or more) have been perfect. My K390 Urban is spot on, but my AEB-L Urban and a Squeak were disasters.

I think you had two great designs and I think you will continue to be impressed with that Chaparral lightweight.

Thanks DocT sorry to hear about the problems that are troubling some sprint versions, must be something went sideways for them as the majority appear to be excellent.

If I get some discretionary funds enough to get the Sun and Moon it might be my next folder

G2

Thanks DocT sorry to hear about the problems that are troubling some sprint versions, must be something went sideways for them as the majority appear to be excellent.

If I get some discretionary funds enough to get the Sun and Moon it might be my next folder

G2

Good choice. I am probably going to get the birdseye maple version when it comes out later this year.

Loving my Chaps! The Chaparral is my go to gents knife, all perfect in every way! I can’t wait for the Birdseye maple version!
5qTxVwA.jpg

Pardon the party crashing Rhino!

Nice, and yeah how do you stop a charging Rhino ?
(take away his credit card ;) )
G2

The Chaparral intrigues me because with a 2mm thick blade it's the thinnest that Spyderco makes outside of a kitchen knife.

Back