Spyderco Chaparral Goodness

At over 50% off MSRP that was also my motivation to get a Chaparral 3 which should be here by tomorrow.

That picture shows the overall shorter length well.
Mine arrived about half an hour ago. Here are a couple shots...

CHAPARRAL3_001.JPG

CHAPARRAL3_004.JPG

CHAPARRAL3_003.JPG

CHAPARRAL3_002.JPG

...and an observation. Unlike the Chaparral 2, where the texture is so subtle that it adds nothing in terms of traction, the texturing on the Chaparral 3 provides lots of traction. For me, that was a pleasant surprise.

Mine arrived about half an hour ago.
...and an observation. Unlike the Chaparral 2, where the texture is so subtle that it adds nothing in terms of traction, the texturing on the Chaparral 3 provides lots of traction. For me, that was a pleasant surprise.

Nice pictures. They really show off the intricate milling. I figured on the texturing adding more grip. Does it have an overall aesthetic wow factor?

Nice pictures. They really show off the intricate milling. I figured on the texturing adding more grip. Does it have an overall aesthetic wow factor?
Yes. At least for me, it has considerably more "wow" factor than the Chaparral 2, combined with considerably more desire to remove the clip, put it in my pocket, and actually carry and use it. I'm really glad I broke down and got one of these, and I have you to thank for that.

Mine arrived about half an hour ago. Here are a couple shots...

Nice pics! :)

Mine should be here tomorrow. Can't wait.

Yes. At least for me, it has considerably more "wow" factor than the Chaparral 2, combined with considerably more desire to remove the clip, put it in my pocket, and actually carry and use it. I'm really glad I broke down and got one of these, and I have you to thank for that.

Nice! I've been eyeing the Chaparral 3 since December but the prices were $100 more than what I ended up paying a couple of days ago. It pays to wait and of course share!

More comparison pictures of Sage 1 CF and Chaparral 1 CF:

32c0a498-5893-4664-9f35-18e2b8490112_zps2391f3a2.jpg

7f2ba923-4066-431f-9079-5c4b765cfbba_zps14fbcab7.jpg

Excellent pictures. What you'll notice is that the Sage-1 blade is only very slightly longer than the Chaparral. Holding the two, for me anyway, the Sage-1 feels so much larger, especially in thickness. I love the liner lock of the Sage-1 and everything else about it. It's just thicker than what I like to carry.

Nice pics RamZar, thanx. Easily shows the difference a 1/4" of blade can make in similar designs. The Sages are larger and wider because with the many locks planned, we needed more space. But I agree that in the hand, the Sage feels much larger than the Chaparral.

sal

Last edited:
My Chaparral 1 came in today. Very nice little knife. Love the size and the look of the knife. Although advertised as having the S30V blade on the site where I purchased it, it actually came with the CTS-XHP so I'm pleased with that (although I really like S30V).

Now that I have seen the Chaparral first hand (no knife shops within 120 miles), I am very impressed and even more excited to get the Chaparral 3 in the day or so.

Nice pics Nascar, thanx. Easily shows the difference a 1/4" of blade can make in similar designs. The Sages are larger and wider because with the many locks planned, we needed more space. But I agree that in the hand, the Sage feels much larger than the Chaparral.

sal

I'd love to, but can't take credit for those pictures. Someone else posted them. I just commented.

My Chaparral 1 came in today. Very nice little knife. Love the size and the look of the knife. Although advertised as having the S30V blade on the site where I purchased it, it actually came with the CTS-XHP so I'm pleased with that (although I really like S30V).

Now that I have seen the Chaparral first hand (no knife shops within 120 miles), I am very impressed and even more excited to get the Chaparral 3 in the day or so.

I've found that you to ask the seller the details about the knife and no rely on pictures. I almost got a non-jimped Cat, when wanted one with jimping. I'm so glade I asked before I purchased.

I've found that you to ask the seller the details about the knife and no rely on pictures. I almost got a non-jimped Cat, when wanted one with jimping. I'm so glade I asked before I purchased.

I never hesitate to contact the seller if I feel the need, but in this case the text (not the picture) indicated an S30V which was fine with me as I like that steel and didn't feel the knife was overpriced in that configuration. The fact that it turned out to be CTS-XHP was actually a positive IMHO so no need for contact. All went well and I have no complaints. In fact, the only reason that I mentioned that fact was because of RamZar's post #12 above.

But thank you anyway. :)

Would you folks consider the Cat to be the closest (in production) to a "Chaparral with a liner-lock", that utilizes the wire-clip or is there something else you can think of that's a better match?

Cat is the same weight as the Chaparral 1, but it's blade is a little over 1/4" shorter, its scales are G-10 instead of CF, and it uses 440C steel. Sage I is by the same maker as the Chaparral, and uses the same CF as the Chaparral 1, but it's a bit heavier and thicker, has a slightly longer blade, and uses S30V steel. I'd rate the Sage as identical to the Chaparral in terms of quality, while the Cat is a notch or two down, but closer in terms of size and weight. So it depends on what matters most to you.

Cat is the same weight as the Chaparral 1, but it's blade is a little over 1/4" shorter, its scales are G-10 instead of CF, and it uses 440C steel. Sage I is by the same maker as the Chaparral, and uses the same CF as the Chaparral 1, but it's a bit heavier and thicker, has a slightly longer blade, and uses S30V steel. I'd rate the Sage as identical to the Chaparral in terms of quality, while the Cat is a notch or two down, but closer in terms of size and weight. So it depends on what matters most to you.

Good points concerning the two. Thanks.

Is the pivot opening smooth? Really close to pulling the trigger on this one

Chaparral 3 arrived just now and it's a stunner! The texture of the handle is quite grippy and beautiful in detail. Functional art at its best! :thumbup::thumbup:

It's not yet as smooth as my Chaparral 1 & 2 but I'm sure it'll be in time.

Family picture of Chaparral 1, 2 & 3 plus detail of Chaparral 3:

98602a6b-c0bb-45d3-a25e-09916692f49d_zps111f6086.jpg~original

c2a61228-e3dd-47f8-996f-d8adc674c02c_zps7b443229.jpg~original

c94e0dda-1f0c-4717-8ac0-3ed2beb0609a_zps17111297.jpg~original

Last edited:
Back