Spyderco Chaparral Goodness

I got both the Caparral 1 & 3 in last week. The Chaparral 3 is indeed a beautiful knife, but quite honestly I prefer the Chaparral 1 for EDC. The feel of the CF scales is significantly better, IMHO. Wife loves the Caparral 3, so she added it into her small collection of knives (she has 22 or so) and we're both happy. :)

Technically speaking, the Chaparral family has 4 members

1) Chaparral CF (CPM-S30V)
2) Chaparral CF (CTS-XHP)
3) Chaparral Ti
4) Chaparral Stepped Ti

Great thread! Thanks everybody, for all the detailed comparisons, including the Cat. Now to get over to my friendly "local" dealer (50 miles away) to see if I can get some actual hands-on comparisons.

Technically speaking, the Chaparral family has 4 members

1) Chaparral CF (CPM-S30V)
2) Chaparral CF (CTS-XHP)
3) Chaparral Ti
4) Chaparral Stepped Ti

Good point.

Finally got the last piece of the puzzle. Namely, Chaparral 1 in S30V.

The Chaparral 1 CPM S30V and CTS-XHP both have the same model number C152CFP. The differentiator is the box that for the CTS-XHP says FM (June 2013) and for the CPM S30V says GK (July 2011).

050d2ec5-c867-400a-a8f8-63e1203760e7_zpse140791f.jpg

95fcd0f8-e0b7-4c44-a04f-53d4ee6aaf81_zpsaf0b4fa1.jpg

Good point.

Finally got the last piece of the puzzle. Namely, Chaparral 1 in S30V.

The Chaparral 1 CPM S30V and CTS-XHP both have the same model number C152CFP. The differentiator is the box that for the CTS-XHP says FM (June 2013) and for the CPM S30V says GK (July 2011).

050d2ec5-c867-400a-a8f8-63e1203760e7_zpse140791f.jpg

95fcd0f8-e0b7-4c44-a04f-53d4ee6aaf81_zpsaf0b4fa1.jpg

Awesome pics! I had also recently learned that the Chap came in S30v which I am more familiar with. I just scored one NIB off the exchange for $75. Although I am curious how CTS-XHP compares to S30v, I love this little beauty. It still didn't kick my Caly 3.5 out of my pocket but I love it.

RamZar...excellent thread and photos...
I do not have a Chaparral as yet, but I admire the stats and expect to have one fairly soon.
Thanks for the info and pics.

Can you folks imagine how a Chaparral 4 with silver carbon fiber like the Air has would look?

I'd like to see models with polished/contoured G-10 (Hungarian, Vallotton), wood/bolsters (Sage 4), silver glass fiber (Air, Memory), blue weave CF (Domino), gold weave CF (Szabo), stainless steel, aluminum, etc.

I've heard bronze scales for Chaparral 4. I'm sure it'll look great.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Chaparral 4 is going to be bronze.

Actually, what I meant to say was a comment on how this knife would look with silver glass fiber scales. I think it would be stunning. The bronze does not excite me. It will likely be beautiful but it will likely be heavy and this is a gentleman's folder. Also, real bronze needs cleaning and polishing. Now, I have the Carbon Fiber and it is perfect for that role. Now if it were bronze carbon fiber that would be a horse of a different color. The Blue weave would be wonderful, too.

There are two knives Spyderco could put out that would have first in line. First, is a compression lock Sage. Second, is a bronze chaperral.

Actually, what I meant to say was a comment on how this knife would look with silver glass fiber scales. I think it would be stunning. The bronze does not excite me. It will likely be beautiful but it will likely be heavy and this is a gentleman's folder. Also, real bronze needs cleaning and polishing. Now, I have the Carbon Fiber and it is perfect for that role. Now if it were bronze carbon fiber that would be a horse of a different color. The Blue weave would be wonderful, too.
Yeah I figured you may already know, I just wanted to guide the conversation. :) You could be right about the weight but I bet it's small enough that it won't be over 3 oz. I'm excited to see the bronze Chap, maybe as much as any knife.

Actually, what I meant to say was a comment on how this knife would look with silver glass fiber scales [like the Air]. I think it would be stunning.

I'll second that, 100%. I actually floated that same idea in a thread on the factory forum a while ago. Good to know someone else wants to see a silver glass fiber Chaparral.

Not sure what to think about the bronze until I see pics...

There are two knives Spyderco could put out that would have first in line. First, is a compression lock Sage. Second, is a bronze chaperral.

Sage5: Compression Lock (handle material unknown but I'm guessing G-10 or CF)
Chaparral4: Bronze handle

Last edited:
Yeah I figured you may already know, I just wanted to guide the conversation. :) You could be right about the weight but I bet it's small enough that it won't be over 3 oz. I'm excited to see the bronze Chap, maybe as much as any knife.

I think the bronze will be over 3 ounces. The two titanium ones are already 2.7 ounces.

Back