Spyderco Chaparral Goodness

Sage5: Compression Lock (handle material unknown but I'm guessing G-10 or CF)
Chaparral4: Bronze handle
Sal just said the compression lock is not among the next two Sage designs, sorry to keep correcting . :)

I think the bronze will be over 3 ounces. The two titanium ones are already 2.7 ounces.

If memory serves me right ;) ( http://www.psyclops.com/tools/technotes/materials/density.html ), bronze is about 8.7 gm/ cm 3 while titanium is around 4.5 g/ cm3, so I'll just plug that in, one second... :)

Sal just said the compression lock is not among the next two Sage designs, sorry to keep correcting . :)

I see that now in a post by Sal elsewhere last week: "There are two locks in queue. Neither are Compresssion locks."

So, based on Sal's statement Compression Lock will be no sooner than Sage7!

I know they were talking about the Compression Lock, Ball Bearing Lock and Button Lock for the next Sage back in December 2013 in the thread: With the Sage 3 getting the axe will we see an S5 or is the series dying off?

Here's what the Spyderco December byte said verbatim:

What does the future hold for the Sage Series? Well, in addition to continuing to recognize the contributions of other designers, based on popular demand we plan to showcase our own lock innovations, including our patented Compression Lock and Ball Bearing Lock. These locks have definitely stood the test of time and earned their rightful place alongside the other notable mechanisms in the series.

We have a Sage 5 in-the-works. Very complicated lock so it's taking more time.

sal

So, what's the lock in Sage5?

If memory serves me right ;) ( http://www.psyclops.com/tools/technotes/materials/density.html ), bronze is about 8.7 gm/ cm 3 while titanium is around 4.5 g/ cm3, so I'll just plug that in, one second... :)

Depends on the thickness and bronze is about twice as heavy and the blade is rather thin. We shall see. Under 3 ounces would be great.

Last edited:
Looks like Chaparral 4 is the upcoming Blue Stepped Titanium. Perhaps Chaparral 5 is the Bronze.

5de91605-6ebb-4f73-8dc6-b102dbcbf500_zps689f86d2.jpg

The stepped blue ti is on my short list for next year. I would LOVE a bronze Chaparral!

Oddly enough I don't have a chaparral in my collection. Going to pick up chaparral 1 today and see what there all about.

The chaparral is a great knife to edc, the blade is about the same length as the native 5 in a shorter, thinner package. I like the thin blade and deep carry wire clip too, it's a really nice knife.

Love my Chap. 2! It's the perfect dress knife. Gotten more oohs and aahs from it than any other I own.

^^^ what the last 2 said:thumbup::thumbup:.... My favorite EDC......

For bigger jobs, I've got the police in G10....

Ordered a Chap 1 CTS-XHP today, had to see what all this buzz is about, and anxious to have my first Taichung knife!

Other than the P'Kal, all my Spydies are of the largish variety, something small and elegant will be welcome.

Good stuff! I've been collecting for some time now. All the big names and models. I have come to the conclusion, that the Chaparral is my favorite edc
Sure could have saved a lot of money,if I had settled with the Chaparral and a CF Stretch.

There's a shop that sells cutlery with a great price on the new Chaparral Blue Stepped Titanium.

I received my new Spyderco Chaparral Blue Stepped Titanium and am disappointed!

The blue anodized is very uneven and actually non-existent on portions. The lower two-thirds of the clip side is very nice but top one third faded. The non-clip side has no anodization on the right half and the rest is faded!

Perhaps I got a bad one. They should all have vivid blue anodization.

I'm inquiring with my dealer to see if he has any more in stock and whether they are all so uneven.

Can you post some pics?

Mailed it back to the dealer already yesterday. Suffice it to say that the ano was either missing or very faded in a lot of surface areas. Hope to get a perfect one or none at all. Shocking to see that in a Taichung folder!

On a macro level, I can understand it....Spyderco is a mass production knife company so a few bad eggs will slip through....it s unfortunate it happened to you though. The machining and anodizing are not an easy job seeing as they can only produce 12 a month.

On a macro level, I can understand it....Spyderco is a mass production knife company so a few bad eggs will slip through....it s unfortunate it happened to you though. The machining and anodizing are not an easy job seeing as they can only produce 12 a month.

12 per day.

The milling on the titanium is unbelievably nice and time consuming.

It was shocking to see a Taichung folder in less than perfect condition and I have almost all models ever produced except for a handful.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1222857-Spyderco-s-Taichung-(Taiwan)-Folders

RamZar, I received my Chaparral 4 on Friday and was very happy with the quality of the knife. However, after viewing your post I was a bit concerned that I had not inspected my knife as thoroughly as I should have, so I opened up the pouch to inspect it again. And yes, the blue ano was a bit uneven with darker and lighter blues that appeared faded. But then I remembered that with anodized titanium, the colors get messed up if the knife is not clean, oils from your hand will distort the anodized colors. So I got a clean cloth and thoroughly wiped the knife down and the colors are just perfect! I'm sure you had already thought of this, just food for thought for anyone else with a Chap 4. :)

RamZar, I received my Chaparral 4 on Friday and was very happy with the quality of the knife. However, after viewing your post I was a bit concerned that I had not inspected my knife as thoroughly as I should have, so I opened up the pouch to inspect it again. And yes, the blue ano was a bit uneven with darker and lighter blues that appeared faded. But then I remembered that with anodized titanium, the colors get messed up if the knife is not clean, oils from your hand will distort the anodized colors. So I got a clean cloth and thoroughly wiped the knife down and the colors are just perfect! I'm sure you had already thought of this, just food for thought for anyone else with a Chap 4. :)

My case was different in that there were whole sections with no anodization. My dealer received it on Saturday but I don't expect a response until tomorrow.

Back