Spyderco Chaparral Goodness

Powernoodle is very susceptible to peer pressure. Now Powernoodle wants a Chaparral CF.

Probably my next buy. The only thing holding me back is that I'm waiting to see what the future holds in handle materials. Is there a schedule, or is it supposed to be a surprise?

Mine arrived about half an hour ago.

...and an observation. Unlike the Chaparral 2, where the texture is so subtle that it adds nothing in terms of traction, the texturing on the Chaparral 3 provides lots of traction. For me, that was a pleasant surprise.

Good to know. I dislike how slippery metal handles are with cold or dry hands. How grippy is the CF chaparral?

How grippy is the CF chaparral?

The CF/G-10 laminate on the Chaparral CF has some texture. Not as grippy as G-10 or Peel-ply CF.

54C73E1A-D5D7-4433-B611-4C9AE29944EE.png_zpscm2gbsin.jpeg

Last edited:
The CF Chaparral I'm looking at online is described as S30V. Is this "old stock"? The Spydie website shows CTS HXP. Makes no difference to me.

The CF Chaparral I'm looking at online is described as S30V. Is this "old stock"? The Spydie website shows CTS HXP. Makes no difference to me.

The original was S30V and usually they're misstating it as S30V whereas it's really CTS-XHP. S30V are tougher to find. Makes no real practical difference.

It was originally slated to be XHP from the start, but there was a delay in the production from Carpenter (I think?), so sal had the first run produced with S30V. All subsequent runs have been XHP.

I pulled the trigger on one for a good price. Got to help poor Mr. Sal pay the bills, right?

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts, when you get it.

Well, I love the Sage 1 and Sage 2, as well as the Cat, so I have high hopes for the Chaparral. I also place a premium on a thin profile in the pocket, and it looks like the Chaparral excels in this area as well.

Powernoodle's daily brain squeezer: the word "chaparral" derives from the spanish chaparro or "scrub oak". Its is now used to describe a biome or geographic region located primarily in California and characterized by mild, wet winters and hot dry summers.

[youtube]1JOO2EZqwVk[/youtube]

Well, I love the Sage 1 and Sage 2, as well as the Cat, so I have high hopes for the Chaparral. I also place a premium on a thin profile in the pocket, and it looks like the Chaparral excels in this area as well.

Powernoodle's daily brain squeezer: the word "chaparral" derives from the spanish chaparro or "scrub oak". Its is now used to describe a biome or geographic region located primarily in California and characterized by mild, wet winters and hot dry summers.
]

Chaparral was also an anti-ircraft system.
300px-MIM-72_Chaparral_07.jpg

I would like a LW chapparal in frn. About the same closed length as a Dfly but more blade when open. Machined linerless CF would be amazing and would weigh nothing with chapparal's thin blade stock. Micarta (linerless) would be great too.

Last edited:
You will like that Chaparral CF when it comes, I am certain. Check to see that they properly took the edges off of all the metal liners and the spine as mine were quite sharp. They were so sharp I was afraid of being cut if I used the knife hard. But, a couple of minutes with a hone and all the edges were de-horned. It is a wonderful design and I carry mine a lot, now. However, my CAT came from the factory much nicer. Now they are about equal as far as F&F. I prefer the lock on the Chap. The actual cutting edge is approximately the same for both knives.

Living with the Chaparral.

In my left pocket, it replaced the Sage.
It was a desperate attempt to quail the rage.

Of all these nonsensical fools.
That don’t get; that knives are simply tools.

In no way are they a fret to their life.
They are not carried to cause mischief and strive.

Though the Sage was used sensibly and with restrain.
“That looks dangerous!”…. was the usual refrain.

So I was some what heavy of heart.
Knowing my beloved Sage and I must sadly part.

In to my left pocket went this minuscule Chaparral.
Will it be up to the task? Only time would tell.

As packages were opened and apples and bananas were peeled.
The qualities of this small gem were slowly revealed.

Though the Para-military was there for any heavier task.
The Chaparral seemed willing and capable of doing all I would ask.

In fact; sometimes it seemed somewhat overly keen.
And sometimes perhaps even a little nasty and mean.

Cutting like laser and with a somewhat obsessive need to cut.
After opening it, I had to cut something or it seemed relucent to shut.

I under estimated this little knife’s capabilities by a dam mile.
The more I push it, the more it excels and it makes me smile.

How can this little knife be so resilient and strong?
Mate! Get one of these little knives, can you not go wrong.

Sal? By what technology, metallurgy, magic or spell?
Enabled you to create this knife you called the Chaparral?

:eek:

Absolutely love my Chaparral in CF and CTS-XHP... the only sub-3-inch blade I enjoy carrying. Looking forward to seeing what other finishes Spyderco will think of... haven't been super enamored with the patterns so far but that's purely personal taste. I'm sure sooner or later another Chaparral is going to take my money.

I'd like to see one in micarta or polished G10 .. Which might keep the price down a bit.

Back