Spyderco customer service issue

Over two months ago I sent my Endura 4 black blade in to spyderco because it was becoming harder and harder to open. I hadn't heard from them so I sent in an email asking when I'd expect to have my knife returned. I was told that Spyderco had not received it, she asked me for my address and continued her search. Later she said it had definitely not arrived, bummer. Not her fault, but still sucks. I thought my journey would end here.

At this point I was saving up to buy another spyderco (The black bladed szabo) and had no ill will towards the company at all....

A week or so later I receive a package in the mail from spyderco, my first thought is: "Holy shit they sent me a replacement, spyderco is the fucking best!"
Upon opening the package I found only a couple pieces of paper, a catalog and price guide.... at this point my heart sank and I tossed the papers and booklet onto the table.
I returned to them the next morning, I flipped through the booklet, saw a couple decent knives (the szabo black blade... my god is that a gorgeous knife, but I would never be able to afford it). A gold spyderco logo stamped on one of the papers caught my eye and I picked them up to read them. The papers specifically stated that spyderco was in possession of my knife and I had the option of it being sent back to me as they couldn't repair it. I was thrilled, as a friend recently offered to fix it for free as he had the same problem on a similar spyderco. I immediately called their customer service line but no one answered, I called 4 times the next day, same thing. Finally on the third day my 2nd call went through, and I gave them my ref number and said I was choosing the option to have my knife returned to me. The lady told me that those particular papers were sent by accident, and blamed it on a nameless intern. I don't know how it could have been sent by accident, it had my name, address, knife model number, and ref number.

So this is the emotional rollercoaster spyderco took me on:

Up: Awesome! My first (of hopefully many) spyderco! :D
Down: My knife is broken :|
Up: It's covered under warranty! :)
Down: Spyderco never received my knife. :/
Up: OH LOOK! A package from spyderco! Maybe they finally got my knife and repaired it and sent it back, or even gave me a brand new one! :D
Down: Nope, catalog and some papers. :|
Up: Papers say they have my knife and can send it back to me! :)
Down: Customer service said official papers were sent in error, and still don't have my knife. :'(

I REALLY wanted to like spyderco as a company. The Endura 4 was fine and was my edc until it started acting up. I just don't know anymore, they have some really attractive blades (Re: Szabo black blade) but I just don't buy things that don't have good customer service.

I don't expect anything to come out of this post, it will likely be archived and forgotten about like the other forum posts I saw when I searched "Spyderco customer service forum."
Just want people to know about my experience with spyderco as a first (and likely last) time buyer.

I do have emails and the official papers to prove this timeline. Don't want to upload them as I think it would be finger pointing at the Customer Service representative, but I can upload them and send them to a mod or spyderco representative as proof.

Last edited:
Some work still needs to be done it seems in the C s department. My experience with their CS was the opposite of yours. I'm sure Sal or someone from the company will be chiming in soon. Sorry to hear about your luck.

On the edc forums I found a lot of people complaining about their CS, comparing it to S&W at times. :s

The repair work they perform was excellent on the two occasions (see thread at the bottom) I used them last year but they were very slow the first time and better the second time. Also, their communication lines are archaic and pedestrian. Used to be a one person department and may still be! In my opinion and experience, Spyderco just can't compete with Benchmade and KAI in CS as is and perhaps they have no interest (businesswise or otherwise) to do so.

I've had no experience with their CS since November of last year and try not to. I try to use mostly their high-quality Taichung folders and they just run albeit they come with premium pricing but to me it's definitely worth it.

Spyderco Customer Service, Repair Work & Turnaround Time

The thing is, I believe they did eventually get my knife/found it on the mail floor/ etc and the intern (or whoever) noticed that, and sent me the correct papers, but the CS rep didn't want it to look like it took them over 2 months to fix an issue, and just told me they never got it.

I have official Spyderco documents saying they have it, and a CS rep saying they don't.
Someone is lying here.

Last edited:
It's hard to run a company that is growing in leaps and bounds, dealers and customers are mad cause you can't turn your product out fast enough, then when you do QC issues arrive. All of the departments (including warranty) are over worked and good skilled staff is hard to come by. I get it and does usually get worked out over time but growth doesn't come without some pain. Over all they do a good job at producing a product with a really high amount of value for the money compared to most other companies out there. I feel for you though, it sucks when things go wrong and you are the one on the receiving end.

Very true, and I'm surprised the Owner of spyderco browses, and responds to posts on this forum. Which really says something about him.

I just don't understand why I got papers, it was completely my fault for springing a few extra bucks for tracking and it should have ended at "we never received it"
Instead I'm dick-teased by two official spyderco sources on the status and location of my knife. :/

I think if you have a piece of paper saying they have your knife, then THEY HAVE YOUR KNIFE. How else would they have all your info to send you an empty box back? It's one thing if they say they received the box but it had been ripped open and nothing was inside (which has happened before). But to claim they never received it but somehow miraculously have your info?!?....ummm, nope, don't think so.
Sal is a stand-up guy, I'm betting he'll straighten this out..

It's hard to run a company that is growing in leaps and bounds, dealers and customers are mad cause you can't turn your product out fast enough, then when you do QC issues arrive.

Speaking of QC, if I had a company as large as spyderco I'd focus on QC, CS and THEN speed of production. I still don't understand why companies think its okay to get things made in countries by people with such a low wage it is ILLEGAL in dozens of countries.

This is why I try to buy knives made in countries where I know the workers are treated in a fair manner. NA, EU, etc.

I think if you have a piece of paper saying they have your knife, then THEY HAVE YOUR KNIFE. How else would they have all your info to send you an empty box back? It's one thing if they say they received the box but it had been ripped open and nothing was inside (which has happened before). But to claim they never received it but somehow miraculously have your info?!?....ummm, nope, don't think so.

I gave them my address and info, it is weird they used my real name (the one I use for postal purposes) and not the online name I go by that I told them in the email...

Speaking of QC, if I had a company as large as spyderco I'd focus on QC, CS and THEN speed of production. I still don't understand why companies think its okay to get things made in countries by people with such a low wage it is ILLEGAL in dozens of countries.

This is why I try to buy knives made in countries where I know the workers are treated in a fair manner. NA, EU, etc.

You lost any of my sympathies I could dredge up right here. You were, or are looking for reasons to dislike and find wrong with Spyderco.

I for sure could do that with you. It would be easy and fun even. :) What would be the point though. Poor guy, you already went on an emo-tional roller coaster. Could be I'll not get together and share feeling offended with you about this. :cool:

By the way you never did say what was wrong with the knife other than being difficult to open. What caused it? What did they say? It obviously wasn't a defect or you would have gotten a replacement. Did you take it apart trying to fix it or loosen the pivot going for an adjustment??

"A company as large as Spyderco" always makes me laugh. The last I heard, they were up to a whole 72 people. They don't have a warranty and repair department, they have a W&R person. Apparently, she now has an assistant in training. The last time I communicated directly with Sal, his assistant had retired and Eric's assistant was filling in as best she could despite health issues.

Just for the record, I have personally witnessed Priority Mail take 30 days to deliver an envelope, and I've seen first class mail take four months to go across a town of 23,000. Those things happen.

Sorry you didn't get your way, and I hope you have better luck with the next company you try to like.

Which countries are you talking about?

Also, just how often do defects occur in Spydercos? They're definitely not common that's for sure. And for the price of a new Endura, which will in all likelihood come without defects and serve you extremely well for another how many years, don't write off one of the best knife company's in modern times. Dare I say history.

So I'm no Spyderco fanboy but I say share your experience, and get another one. I live in a country where defects simply cannot be sent in for repair, and I've never written anyone off after one hit of bad luck.

You were, or are looking for reasons to dislike and find wrong with Spyderco.

Nope, most companies that ship a product outsource to asia. Spyderco isn't breaking any new ground there, I was just more commenting on modern business practices and how most people are okay with people making products for low wages, that cost hundreds to the consumer.

"A company as large as Spyderco" always makes me laugh.
In this quote, I felt like I meant more reputable than size physically. When I was looking for a new edc, I found that spyderco was not known for low quality knives.

Just for the record, I have personally witnessed Priority Mail take 30 days to deliver an envelope, and I've seen first class mail take four months to go across a town of 23,000. Those things happen.
Yes, and I'd be completely fine to wait longer, but have you ever shipped something, the person tell you they received it, and then went back and said they didn't?

I hope you aren't referring to japan and Taiwan as their labour costs are quite high.

Nope, that's why I blacked out every knife on the price guide if they were made in china. Luckily the szabo is made in taiwan and might still be on my buy list, depending on what spyderco does about this.

Also, just how often do defects occur in Spydercos? They're definitely not common that's for sure. And for the price of a new Endura, which will in all likelihood come without defects and serve you extremely well for another how many years, don't write off one of the best knife company's in modern times. Dare I say history.

So I'm no Spyderco fanboy but I say share your experience, and get another one. I live in a country where defects simply cannot be sent in for repair, and I've never written anyone off after one hit of bad luck.

It just left a sour taste in my mouth. The knife itself was fine, my 2nd favourite knife at the time. Every company sends out a defected knife, no matter how good your QC is.

Back