Spyderco Delica FFG or Cold Steel Voyager Clip Medium????

Hey Guys,
What should I get for my next knife??
Spyderco Delica FFG or Cold Steel Voyager Clip Medium????

I don't own any Cold Steel knives so I can't offer a direct comparison. However the D4 is my favourite knife (I consider SAKs multitools) . Great steel, fits my hand like it was made for it, and disappears in my pocket. If you chose the Spyderco you won't be disappointed.

I would do the Large Voyager if you have Medium-Large or Large hands. Small pockets, small hands, love for thumb hole opening would push to Delica or Native FRN. I would take Large Voyager over Delica or Endura many times over. Better ergonomics for long, heavy use or back-up weapon, better build, as good or better fit and finish, more cutting power for big jobs, lower price, etc. I don't have small hands or pockets and going a tiny bit longer before sharpening touch up doesn't outweigh the Voyager's advantages and dependability if it's the only knife on me.

I've had both and for me it would depend on its use. For simple everyday chores the Delica would do fine. If you need a hard use folder for prying and extreme cutting tasks then you better go with the Voyager. If you put a Delica to hard use everyday it will develop blade play rather quickly. (mine did anyways) So far I have used my large Voyager hard almost everyday since I've had it (about two months now) and so far no blade play at all has developed. These Cold Steels are tough I tell ya! :)

Last edited:
I have had both too. They are not similar knives at all. The medium voyager is more like a tool than a knife, and is perfect for hard use and abuse. The "Delica" is more "delicate" and I prefer to use it for lighter cutting to avoid creating blade play. I also try to keep mine in excellent shape due to it's higher cost and premium metal. Get both!! :)

No Contest get the Spyderco FFG Delica or the Endura as it is closer in size to the Cold Steel Voyager. Better steel and better made.

Delica .. love vg10 gets scary sharp,. voyager has its merits too very tough. you could prob get a voyager and a byrd meadowlark 2 for the cost of the delica. i own all 3 and again love that vg10

I don't have a Cold Steel Voyager to compare to but I do have the Delica FFG. My delica hasn't seen a lot of pocket time since I've found myself preferring larger / thicker blades. I do love the VG-10 steel as it has a very nice appearance when compared to my other knife steels (8CR13MOV and s30v). It came ridiculously sharp and because the blade is so thin it is definitely an amazing slicer. This is also the downside as the thin blade is 'delicate' as the name implies and I could see how you could damage it if you tried using it really hard or on very thick and tough materials.

Most people will say delica. I have both and I prefer the voyager.

Get what you like better, and dont put too much stock into what people say on the internet

I was going to get the delica as I think it will be better for EDC, but for some unknown reason I'm draw to the voyager

It's a back lock so a small amount of vertical play is to be expected. The side to side play can be reduced but should be done in balance with ease of opening. I love my Delicas.

Depends on your use.

If you have it just for self-defense purposes (never using it) then the voyager with a razor edge.

For everything else...Delica blows it out of the water. VG-10 rocks.

Today my EDC was a delica for use and a Griptilian for defense.

....I would even take a Delica camping over the Voyager.

I had a medium Voyager, and really liked it. The only thing bad about it was, the clip is very tight, and I had to sand down the scale underneath the clip, because it was really hard to get in and out of pocket.
It had a solid lockup and came very sharp out of the box. I kinda wish I still had it.
I don't know what they were thinking when they redesigned the Voyagers though. Damn the new ones are really ugly IMHO.

I had a Delica for a short time, and it was a solid knife, but I just never warmed up to the blade shape on most Spyderco knives.

Would it be worth the extra $30 for a mini grip, I have heard about the spring breaking for the lock. And does the grip have play??

Oh man do I love my mini grip. Zero blade play after 4 months of edc. Redefines the term "a solid little knife".

Back