1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Spyderco Delica w/Lil'Para profile MODIFICATION...

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by BOOMER52, Apr 25, 2016.

1. BOOMER52

BOOMER52 CNC Custom Scalesmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks... the G10 sculpted clips are still in the prototype stage. I have several in the hands of Forum users and I'm tweaking the design based on input as it comes in. Once I lock down the machining files the clips will show up the Exchange occasionally in small lots. These aren't an item I would be able to machine per individual requests.

2. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Put me down for another g10 and CF one when you get them done!

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  3. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    CF would be perfect for my GB2

4. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    This is something different... GrindMod Delica/Lil'Para in jade G10 w/Combat Blast texture. There are Moonglow inserts that sit in a pocket between the stainless liners and the jade surface. Black canvas Micarta back spacer and charcoal G10 sculpted pocket clip.

In the second to last photo the camera captured a totally unexpected light quality going on within and upon the jade G10 scale. It glows really brightly when charged by sunlight...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sigsog226 and [email protected] like this.
  5. AlwaysTomboy

AlwaysTomboy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2016
    Dang, that's seriously awesome. Brilliant idea and execution!

6. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    Just thinking about what else might have visual appeal as an insert in the translucent jade scale...

I think colored inserts might look good... but I also think you could do lettering or graphics... I suppose you could combine the Moonglow insert with cutout lettering or graphics.

The pic below is the shape of the nested insert in the ghost glow scales I just posted up... not all that much real estate to play with and the shape is fairly limiting. I'll try one of these or maybe both since the pocket clip obscures a great deal on that side...

[​IMG]

7. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    I machined the the inserts I referred to in the previous post and they are a bit disappointing once installed. Due to the stainless liners not being skeletonized more... the effect of transmitted light is all too subtle. It just doesn't POP like I wanted. So... pretty much a good idea poorly executed. As seen in the reflected light pics the effect all but disappears.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. pcguy23

pcguy23 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Incredibly Awesome work sir,
    Very sorry your trip didn't work out
    I am still very much enjoying the punisher scales you made for my Emerson.
    [​IMG]
    I have three Delica's and may just have to order a lil para set for one of them
    Not very good at grinding, If I sent you my liners with a scale order, would you be able to mod them for me?

9. pcguy23

Jan 14, 2014
    Are you taking orders, or are you still closing up shio for a time?

10. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah... that trip has been cancelled... but I'm working on another multi-state motorcycle trip that starts a bit later in the summer... we'll see.

At this point I'm not taking on requests. I'm using the time to develop new projects and thanks to Forum brother 91bravo I will soon be receiving his Large Sebenza to scan and develop the CAD/CAM files needed for back spacers and a CF stepped lanyard pin.

I would absolutely modify your Delica to accept the Lil'Para scales once I get back to operating... that's something I do at no charge.

Steve

11. pcguy23

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks for the response
    You going to announce here on the forum when you are back open for orders?
    if so I'll be on the lookout, I absolutely love the Jade with the moon glow insert
    Thanks again for your fine work

12. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    Same jade G10 set of scales in the previous posts... I just gave up on the insert idea and removed them. Due to the now empty insert pockets the G10 has greater translucency so the stainless liners show really well.

With the hollow pockets the knife now feels very similar to a lightweight Manix 2 or lightweight Native 5. You can easily discriminate the lighter feel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HAWC and bigolegator like this.
  13. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
  14. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    These are the charcoal G10 FlintKnap scales again and originally I experimented with a Moonglow back spacer and charcoal G10 sculpted pocket clip. Well... the Moonglow back spacer didn't work out. It eventually fractured... which is a shame because it really looked terrific. Anyway... this go around I went with toxic green for the back spacer and the sculpted pocket clip.

It must be the way I light my photo box because the charcoal G10 appears darker than it is. It's supposed to be a battleship gray but appears to be much darker... almost black in my photos.

It's going in the Exchange...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HAWC likes this.
  15. pcguy23

Jan 14, 2014
    good looking knife,
    Awesome work Sir!

16. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Very nice looking Delica...I bet that moonglow did look sweet!

17. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    I had a request to take a photo of black G10 and charcoal G10 in the same shot...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brusiedmeat likes this.
  18. supahfreak

supahfreak

May 24, 2005
    Ooh, like that Charcoal. Hey Boomer as others have stated, can we get a "BACK IN BUSINESS!!!!!" post here so we can bombard your with orders when you get back from your hiatus?

19. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah... I'll announce it here and elsewhere.

Taking time to work on some stuff I just can't get to when I'm machining the requests that come in. The shop is still material poor as I let the inventory dwindle knowing I was shutting down for a spell. Before I get ops back up and running I'll also need to make a large materials and tooling order.

20. supahfreak

supahfreak

May 24, 2005
    Hopefully your plans work out from here on out, enjoy your hiatus.

21. Muramatsu

Muramatsu

May 19, 2017
    Hello, can I order from you such scales in russia?