Spyderco Delica w/profile MODIFICATION...

Wow, very nice work!!! A few questions...
1. Can you make thicker than standard scales?
2. The only delica pattern knife I have at the moment is a Salt 2, have you ever built scales for that knife?
3. My wife and 3 daughters LOVE pink. Does your source carry pink G10?
4. Any plans to make scales for the Dragonfly 2? I’d buy a mess of pink and purple...

Regards,
Dave

Hello Dave,

I can machine thicker than standard scales. Two ways to go about the pocket clip attachment issue with thicker scales. Either by pocketing the scale to accept the pocket clip foot so the stock screws will be long enough... OR sourcing three longer 2-56 screws for attachment.

Pink G10 is available... so is purple G10... but no... I've not ventured into the Salt series nor the Dragonfly 2.

Thank you for the inquiry.
Steve

Last edited:
Just finished this up... LVA carbon fiber scales with hex honeycomb texture... jade back spacer and twill carbon fiber sculpted pocket clip...

k2fGZBo.jpg

BkG4Gd4.jpg

hEdU2mi.jpg

SRXvRc8.jpg

78fWyhv.jpg

wZLUtNr.jpg

5f6rlhP.jpg

Just got these in from Steve! Charcoal grey g10 with a flint knap texture and jade back spacer. The scales are the Verrezano style. Threw them on my V-TOKU2 Delica with the lynch clip.IMG_20180915_230041~2-1008x756.jpg IMG_20180915_230258-756x1008.jpg

Well... I stand corrected.

I should of stated that it was first conversion and rescale that I personally performed on a SuperBlue...!

My latest graphic attempted in carbon fiber is a fail. I seem to be on a Japanese theme of late and a set of koi scales in a CAD render looked rather nice but not so in CF. The graphic is too intricate to carve and gets lost in the weave of the CF. It might look better in G10 with less competition in the material. I may also attempt to simplify and thicken certain vectors or lines.

I'll shelve it for the time being... and move on to another design waiting to be machined.

I'm going to put these in the Marketplace at a nice discount later today...

TBfYPeb.jpg

PcjNbhx.jpg

DGJHJl4.png

DoLKfJf.png

I've ordered some white epoxy resin to experiment with.

The process would most likely be to do the resin fill following the graphic carving operation. Do a surfacing pass to clean things up and then as you suggest... do the perimeter profile op.

Might be wise to machine .005" deeper on the graphic carving operation so that a .005" surfacing pass for clean up removes none of the detail...

We'll go with that as a starting point for when the epoxy arrives...

That's a solution I didn't even consider...!

Pursuing that and to quickly explore that in the simplest way... I powdered the scales with baby powder and wiped the surface...

CfBD7YM.jpg

C14qTAR.jpg

pLH2Az8.jpg
That would look awesome if you pull it off!

OK... I learned an important difference between an epoxy adhesive and an epoxy resin... BUT I think the result of this epoxy filled engraving of the KOI opens a huge avenue for filled design in my future. I still believe the carved design needs to be slightly less ornate. Some of the people I've shown the knife to have difficulty seeing the fish...

WQZjaqy.jpg

DFJUaKg.jpg

WUS3Yk5.jpg

XXNg4bO.jpg

I've been playing with a lot of various carved designs of late... here's another experiment with carved graphics... very whimsical... approaching that steampunk look...

TUsfCBV.jpg

5eB78WW.jpg

gcZvTvH.jpg

KGNlUe1.jpg

m6GeNub.jpg

6SFd774.jpg

Back