Spyderco Delica w/profile MODIFICATION...

My CNC machine employs a high speed spindle which does not allow me to machine metals... so I must work within a materials restriction.

I took the Delica/Lil'Para on as an exercise to push the envelope yet maintain the simplicity of a straight scale swap. If someone wants to push it a little further and invest time/labor... I'm open to that.

My CNC machine employs a high speed spindle which does not allow me to machine metals... so I must work within a materials restriction.

I took the Delica/Lil'Para on as an exercise to push the envelope yet maintain the simplicity of a straight scale swap. If someone wants to push it a little further and invest time/labor... I'm open to that.
Got it, sounds like a fun project. I might suggest two designs, one with the need for some liner rework and one completely swapped in less than a minute. I personally would get the ones that need grinding, you could come up with a pattern to send to trace on the scales and let your customer get a dremel out.

Edit: Thinking about it more, you could have one program with the last step to be the choil cut further. Just put a pause in the program. Pull out the ones that need no liner mod and leave and let the ones that need a liner mod get the rest of the cutting.

Last edited:
I love seeing aftermarket / custom products for Spyderco's , so this thread really interests me and I'm in awe of anyone that can produce things like this .
But............What really are you trying to achieve here ?
I look at those pictures in a previous post that show the new shape overlaying the original shape and the first thing that comes to mind is how sleek and ergonomic the original is compared to the para shape .
No wonder that the standard Delica is so popular and has achieved near design perfection throughout its lifetime .
Cool project though and good luck .

Ken

The PM2 hump handle design is much more ergonomic for a wide variety of hand sizes. The Delica, Endura, Native design is more dependent on hand and finger size. For me the Native feels horrible and the Endura is not much better. The Delica is awesome though. The PM2 design is more universal, and hand ergonomics trump in pocket ergos for most Spyderco fans. Not to mention the hundreds of requests on here alone I have seen for a Delica with a choil.

But............What really are you trying to achieve here ?
I look at those pictures in a previous post that show the new shape overlaying the original shape and the first thing that comes to mind is how sleek and ergonomic the original is compared to the para shape .
No wonder that the standard Delica is so popular and has achieved near design perfection throughout its lifetime .
Ken

Like I stated in my initial post... it was some CAD play that I took a little farther and actually machined. I'm not attempting anything other than exercising some brain cells and my muse. IF it offers an appeal to others... that's a good thing isn't it.

I love Delicas...! I own several and I've probably machined 600 plus original profiled sets of scales. I've absolutely no issue with its ergos and aesthetics.

The overlay image you mention shows the modified (NEW) profile overlaying the Delica stainless liner profile... not a Delica scale profile. So your 'sleek and ergonomic as compared to the Para profile' impression is based on that error... however... I do get your point!

Steve

Yep, I see the Dremel coming out now!

Extra para choil, wire clip for right hand carry, and foliage green G10..

When ever your ready/setup for that. I'm in!

Thanks for the new CAD images! They really help make sense of the constraints here. A couple more thoughts:

1) even though there's not enough room for a PM2 choil with the existing liners, it looks like there might be enough room to accommodate a shallower choil, like on the Stretch. Maybe that's a compromise that will yield a more functional choil while still confirming you your original parameters? This would probably be pretty close to your original proposal, but with the pointy bit of the choil slightly reduced and the rest of it raised up a bit.

2) The existing lanyard hole could be converted into the hole needed to accommodate a wire clip (at least as it's implemented in existing Spyderco models), and the lanyard hole can be moved to the very heel, completely off the liners.

I've locked down the Gcode for the modified Delica/Lil'Para profile that will require some grind mods to the stainless liners. In the below graphic you will see the highly modified profile having a very Paramilitary'esque appearance. The largest change is the generous choil incorporated into the modified profile. The choil entry angle to the blade heel is as gentle as I could make it without modifications to the blade itself. I also attempted to provide the smoothest line flow from the blade spine curvature into the choil cusp with the blade in the closed position given the Delica's blade design. There is a compromise there... but not too jarring aesthetically.

The graphic image also shows the grind modification required to the Delica liners to accommodate this new scale design.

I will be machining a set to proof the design as soon as the G10 I ordered hits my shop and I'll post pics of the results.

Stay tuned...
UbTs0cE.jpg

O6TtGmw.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait for mine to come in! Thanks again boomer for working on Getting the choil right while adding a good looking closed knife that flows well.

OK... G10 order came in and I machined up the prototype GRINDMOD Lil'Para/Delica. This is the design that requires a small amount of modification to the stainless liners. You can see in the first two photos the stock profiled liner nested in the scale. The dotted line shows the material needing removed. The second of the two images shows the modified liner nested in the pocket.

The code is perfect... it requires no tweaks. I will however be ordering a new Delica to use as the 'fit' mule. Once I insure the fit using a new stock Delica I'll then add the GRINDMOD Lil'Para/Delica to my portfolio.

It does look terrific... and fits the hand nicely in all grip positions. Moved the lanyard hole and I also managed to eliminate the visible square blade notch that the stock Delicas have... it's now hidden by the choil nose.
KwE6W0a.jpg

hChU8CU.jpg

gcRNZz7.jpg

PkHNard.jpg

Kp0XUED.jpg

Ky9li8b.jpg

lLmIfBG.jpg

Ghibn3l.jpg

VeStMqn.jpg

Ey5NNHJ.jpg

You beat Spyderco to the punch and made a Para3.

I like it.

Back