Spyderco Delica

I posted this last week in the Spyderco forum, but got no replies:

I'm thinking of getting the Delica Wharncliffe. The handle length is perfect, but I'd like the handle to be thicker. Is there anybody who builds up the handle on these? Any other knife you'd suggest with this length and a wharncliffe blade?

Anyone know a craftsman who could do this job? Or an alternative (wharncliffe blade, dame length closed, but a thicker handle)?

Visit BladeHQ's site and run a search filtered by blade length and blade shape. 94% of their listings note the handle thickness.

Whenever I'm after a knife "like X, but different," I run a search along these lines to get a feel for what's out there.

On the crafting front, there's a subforum here for members who offer various services, including scale-making, and another for requests. Both are under KnifeMaker's Market. :)

Last edited:
BOOMER52 on this forum might be able to do it.

I think the Delica is about perfect as it is. Have you held one? I own several of them and even though I have a big hand I find the knife works well. However, there is also the Native 5, which does have a thicker handle and is in the same size range.

Like Doc said....have you held one yet? I think you might be surprised by how well it feels in the hand. I have XL-XXL hands and it feels great in my hands. I am currently EDCing one as I type this.
But like others have said, there are a few guys on here that can hook you up with some new scales if you want.

Just got an Endura and in my searches I found a lot of folks doing Delica scales. Just do a search.

They make aftermarkets for sure. I found these scales on online for $18!

RRs1m0R.jpg

That's great. Where did you find those?
No dealspotting for non sponsor vendors but it's one of the 2 big online vendors. I'm thinking they may have sold out but these were extras of another makers scales I forget their name I almost bought a set for my Endura but I decided I prefer the slimness of the delica.

An Native is basically a Delica with a pudgy handle if you decide you dont want the wharnie. I love wharnies but the usual Delica, Endura and Native packages are amazing. They're also very interchangeable in a lot of ways if you got one of em you got em all. I currently have just 2 of the 3 and whichever one I happened to be using is my favorite of the 3 in that instant.

Although when I did have the Delica bc it was so compact I seldom carried my other knives. I dare say that most life nerds on blade forum the great majority don't actually use their knives every single day although they like to pocket them including myself with that in mind the most useful blades to me are the most compact and lightweight which cover about 80% of all cutting tasks versus my beefier knives or my fancy schmancy ones like my insigno from CRK which could be a one knife do it all knife.

I often carry a $20 Gerber LT or it's newer version the US1 because the thing has an almost 3-in blade and weighs only 1 oz and with a just ok steel 420HC. The HC makes a difference.

I have a Plain Jane wharnecliffe Delica. It is a nice 3” blade folder. The Delica has been around forever for a reason.

Back