Spyderco Dive Probe?

Sal (et al)....I recently bought a Dive Probe (correct name, model number?) and was looking for some general info (like blade and handle materials, dates of production)and possibly a sheath (was one made for this model)?

Thanks - Knife Nut

Hi!
There was no sheath for this knife.
There are two models of the knife:
the diver's probe
the mini probe
They differ in size and one has a rope-cutter on the back of the blade. And if i remember right there is a difference in the lanyardhole.
For more details I recommend you the Spyderco-book which is avaliable at SFO. (mine is not at hand)
hope this helps.
Greetings
red

Electro polished 440C

Very few made.

I still dive with a mini probe.

Do you have the large or the small one?

sal

Don't know for sure, probably the larger model. Mine has a 9 inch scale, a 160 mm scale, longitudinal slot exposing part of the blade and a line cutting slot/hole on the back of the blade (sorry could not figure how to get a picture on this post). I am anxious to do some diving with it this summer...any suggestions for a sheath?

Thanks for the response -

Knife-nut - There should be a lanyard with it that attaches to your wrist. I keep mine in my sleeve.

Spray it with some silicon or similar corrosion resister before diving and rinse with fresh water after diving.

sal

Oh Boy,
This is one of my favorite Spyderco subjects. I have always loved Spyderco products. Dex, (Dexter Ewing), and I, have put more 440V Spyderco Military's into forum members pockets, than could be counted, (hey Sal, where's our reward?). In fact, we put them ON THE MAP! (Check out the archives for proof!).
Anyway, one of the most unusual, (and in my estimation), QUALITY Spyderco knives I have ever encountered was the large and small "Divers' Probes". I first came across my first Dive Probe, (a large), about three years ago in a pawn shop. I noticed the Spyderco logo on this serrated blade, with a line cutter, connected to this huge hunk of steel, (with metric and standard measurements), that ended in a prybar! I asked the clerk if he knew what is was and he answered he didn't.
Growing up in Southern California in the fifties and sixties, I used to pry abalone off the rocks on the Dana Point cliffs, (in low tide), and dive for them in shallow water, (man, was THAT a long time ago!). So I guessed it was an abolone knife.
The weight, (and again), the quality of this thing, overwhelmed me! I immediately bought it. When I got home I E-mailed Spyderco and a Mr. Patrick Kelly, (a TRUE gentleman, and thanks Patrick), informed me that I was correct, that the big hunk of steel in my hand WAS an abalone knife, or as Syderco called it; "A large Diver's Probe".
Being a "Stupid Ass", I later sold it, (albeit at a profit), on the old KnifeForums. I have missed it ever since. I have since aquired a small Probe and agree with Sal that it is much handier but cannot compare with the "shock power" of the large.
This is one of the reasons I love Spyderco stuff...such diversity and such QUALITY!

Gene - I just came across a ceramic probe in the "collection" yesterday. We made 8 of those. Spyderco experimented quite a bit with ceramic blades back in the 80's.

sal

FYI

For thoes interested, there has been several of the Dive Knives (both small and large) on Ebay recently. I have seen a small knife go for as low as $65 up to a high of $175 for the Probe.

------------------

Sal,
Hm-m-m, a CERAMIC Probe. Now THAT is one unique piece! But why doesn't that surprise me? You guys were the first with so much stuff.
I agree that the large probe's weight and size made it pretty much useless for practical use but what a nice hunk of steel, (it made a nice defensive "club" in a pinch,
smile.gif
). I used to get a kick out of it because holding it by the pry bar end and with a quick flick of the wrist that big serrated blade would snap right open.

Knife Nut,
Thanks for the "heads up". I think my small Probe satisfies my needs for now but if I ever come across another large for a decent price I'll probably grab it.

Back