Spyderco Spyderco Drunken Thoughts?

Well I guess America's great again, if we even can be thinking about spending +/- $400 on something like that.

Personally I'd put the money, wisely of course, somewhere in the Stock Market and have it do something for me. In ten years you could probably buy a hundred of these things. Where's you're Drunken gonna be then?

Just sayin'.

Lol, I agree. But I'll wait for the market to tank a la 2009 again

Mo2 Mo2 I don’t want to derail OP’s thread, but here you go:

The Kinfe Art Large CF Inkosi Insingo or a stylish Olamic Swish (not overdone). Yes, they’re both a bit more than the Drunken, but crossing the $400 mark puts them in the same-ish category for me.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend . . .
. . . an overdone Swish, those are awful.

IG6KDDh.jpg

Mo2 Mo2 I don’t want to derail OP’s thread, but here you go:

The Kinfe Art Large CF Inkosi Insingo or a stylish Olamic Swish (not overdone). Yes, they’re both a bit more than the Drunken, but crossing the $400 mark puts them in the same-ish category for me.
Not an Insingo blade but still awesome.
7ny6VAG.jpg

I still want a spyderco drunken.

If it were the only production Sinkevich collaboration, it would be a bargain. Problem is, KAI beat them to the punch a long, long time ago. 0450, 0452, 0456, 0460, 0462, 0470, 0850, Concierge, Atmos, Nura...

It seems to be a well-designed knife, but blah blah prices it's already been said 10,000 times since the MSRP was announced over a year ago.

If it were the only production Sinkevich collaboration, it would be a bargain. Problem is, KAI beat them to the punch a long, long time ago. 0450, 0452, 0456, 0460, 0462, 0470, 0850, Concierge, Atmos, Nura...

It seems to be a well-designed knife, but blah blah prices it's already been said 10,000 times since the MSRP was announced over a year ago.
Except that it's a zt and not one of there upper tier knives. And zt is known for lock failure. And the Kershaws are... Well low end.

Based on how hot the SpydieChef is, this knife (Drunken) would be a steal at $300, and again $400 is not out of the range. Compared to Drunken, those Sinkevich ZTs are just a bit bland (with the exceptions of 0454 and g10/gold 0452).

Except that it's a zt and not one of there upper tier knives. And zt is known for lock failure. And the Kershaws are... Well low end.

This whole “ZT lock failure” thing can’t die soon enough. It makes it sound like the knives are folding under normal use, which is not the case by a long shot.

Anyway, most of ZT’s knives boast the same features and good quality control. While it’s stylistically different from the ZTs, there’s nothing about the Drunken that makes it “upper tier” by comparison unless pricing is how you judge that. Even then, the price is entering into the territory of Olamic and past the threshold that Reate and the like have for their more premium models (excluding timascus / damascus variants) without any reason to believe the QC will be as reliable.

Basically, it’s worth it if it’s worth it to you, but it has reached a price that cannot be justified by purely pragmatic means. What we’re seeing here is a failure for the average knife consumer to satisfactorily finish the sentence “yes, it’s expensive, but...” which is a necessary purchase-justification step for many of us.

It’s full production, it has no unique gadget-y features, the materials are well past being old news, and there’s a lot of competition in the price range. It’s a tough sell.

I absolutely adore Spyderco and almost every knife I EDC is made by them.

But for me this is a resounding no.

Spyderco has always represented the best balance between performance and cost for me. I don’t mind taking an Endura or a Native out and using it because I know that not only could I afford to replace it, but I can actually find another one.

$400 gets me into custom forged knife, or at least makes a down payment on one. And if you’re willing to shop around and buy used, you can find some bargains in the $500 realm.

And I realize this may sound harsh but I will never, ever, ever, pay $400 for a knife that is produced in Taiwan, no matter how cool it is. I like my steel to be US, JPN, Swedish, or something along those lines, from countries with an amazing record of QC. I will buy Chinese/Taiwan blades, I’ve owned a Tenacious and an Ambitious and those are both fantastic knives. They are also both easily found under $50. And that’s the price point I think they should be in.

This knife gets discounted down to $150 I can see an enthusiast of the designer or collector buying one. At $400 I would never touch it. YMMV.

This whole “ZT lock failure” thing can’t die soon enough. It makes it sound like the knives are folding under normal use, which is not the case by a long shot.

Anyway, most of ZT’s knives boast the same features and good quality control. While it’s stylistically different from the ZTs, there’s nothing about the Drunken that makes it “upper tier” by comparison unless pricing is how you judge that. Even then, the price is entering into the territory of Olamic and past the threshold that Reate and the like have for their more premium models (excluding timascus / damascus variants) without any reason to believe the QC will be as reliable.

Basically, it’s worth it if it’s worth it to you, but it has reached a price that cannot be justified by purely pragmatic means. What we’re seeing here is a failure for the average knife consumer to satisfactorily finish the sentence “yes, it’s expensive, but...” which is a necessary purchase-justification step for many of us.

It’s full production, it has no unique gadget-y features, the materials are well past being old news, and there’s a lot of competition in the price range. It’s a tough sell.
I'd much rather have a spyderco than a zt. Especially this higher end spyderco. But honestly goes for most knives. And I've got alot of zt's.

ZT lock failure is very serious to me and alot of others. Down play it all you want.

Last edited:
Based on how hot the SpydieChef is, this knife (Drunken) would be a steal at $300, and again $400 is not out of the range. Compared to Drunken, those Sinkevich ZTs are just a bit bland (with the exceptions of 0454 and g10/gold 0452).

I will almost certainly pick one up when they're inevitably discontinued for slow sales.

I will almost certainly pick one up when they're inevitably discontinued for slow sales.

I'm with you. For now I've made up my mind: I'll pull the trigger when the knife is disc'd and on sale for ~$300. Any price higher, it will have to depend on how drunk I am at the moment. :D

I'm with you. For now I've made up my mind: I'll pull the trigger when the knife is disc'd and on sale for ~$300. Any price higher, it will have to depend on how drunk I am at the moment. :D

Apropos name, I think.

I may jump earlier than that if I have the money... I regretted waiting for the Slysz Bowie to get discounted further, but everyone ran out before the discounts got low enough for me to bite, and now look at the secondary market. That's one I really wanted and shouldn't have waited on, that's for sure.

Had this preordered forever and the more i looked at it the more I did not want. Canceled my order.

The Drunken is already out of stock at Spyderco; only about 5 hrs after I first saw/reported that it was available. :(

That seems more like an error on the site that was corrected. I mean 630$ ? It sold out at that price? o_O

That seems more like an error on the site that was corrected. I mean 630$ ? It sold out at that price? o_O

That's MSRP. I assume most (if not all sales) direct from Spyderco were done at the OpFocus price of $315, which is the price I paid. Public service has its privileges.

Dealer pricing is at MAP (65% of MSRP) which is $409.50.

That's MSRP. I assume most (if not all sales) direct from Spyderco were done at the OpFocus price of $315, which is the price I paid. Public service has its privileges.

Dealer pricing is at MAP (65% of MSRP) which is $409.50.

Ah cool, that makes sense and is kind of annoying. Display the price you pay and not some artificial one.

Personally I think it looks like a stretched out ZT 0456. I don't see anything about it that makes it more or less appealing than the 0456, other than price, so I would go 0456. You may disagree though.

And some others have mentioned ZT lock failure. I haven't had that issue with the many ZTs I've owned. Seems some people have a problem with every single ZT and others never see any issues. Not sure what's up with that, but if you're one of the lucky guys who doesn't have ZT issues, I'd recommend that direction.

personally - I'd get 2 gayle bradley 2's - and pocket the remaining $80... the pricetag of over $400 is just a bit extreme imho

but then again I like m4 over s90v

Back