Spyderco Spyderco Drunken Thoughts?

yes, the detent is weak, but the lockup solid. now i've noticed the clip is flush-mounted with a single screw, and it moves back and forth. still deciding. asking myself, is this worth an other $70 and a Sebenza?

How's the detent? Is it weak sauce?

It's not "weak" per se - the blade will not just drop free - but, the blade can be, as noted in my prior post, wrist flicked open, which is something that I like. Makes using the Spydie hole unnecessary, unless you want to open the blade more discretely.

The main problem w/the knife is the clip. Have to use the raised tip to hold the clip open so that I can slide it onto my pocket edge but even then its a tight fit between the clip and the scale. I hope that Spyderco (or a 3rd party mfg) offers a better clip for it later.

Very glad to hear that, maybe once I get this Olamic Wayfarer sold off, I'll pick one of them up! Do you think it's worth the price?
unsure at this point.
It's not "weak" per se - the blade will not just drop free - but, the blade can be, as noted in my prior post, wrist flicked open, which is something that I like. Makes using the Spydie hole unnecessary, unless you want to open the blade more discretely.

The main problem w/the knife is the clip. Have to use the raised tip to hold the clip open so that I can slide it onto my pocket edge but even then its a tight fit between the clip and the scale. I hope that Spyderco (or a 3rd party mfg) offers a better clip for it.
we are unanimous in that !

Update: Love the blade, but mine's going back. It's a shame, but the clip ruins it for me. I actually like my PM2 CF M4 better, especially at $219 vs. $409.

I was about to pull the trigger on one, but the weak detent & one screw clip has me thinking otherwise.

Initially I was really excited about the Drunken, until the price was announced at $410 map. If ZT made this exact model, it would be $240-$280 price range. At this point I'm kind of meh. Probably will just hold out to see what the Paysan is all about.

I need to handle this one, I like the looks but some red flags (the clip)...for almost the cost of a sebenza I need to handle it to make a judgement.

One of my knife shop accounts, Williams Cutlery in San Jose, CA, got one in today and I was the first guy in to see it, played with it and snagged it...Right place/right time...

0ndJqgr.jpg

kvIchPL.jpg

OXV0wU7.jpg

bSYVIjf.jpg

Cv2FEzO.jpg

qCUmhmT.jpg

One of my knife shop accounts, Williams Cutlery in San Jose, CA, got one in today and I was the first guy in to see it, played with it and snagged it...Right place/right time...

Nice photos! You have far better camera skills than I do. :thumbsup:

. . the . . . one screw clip has me thinking . . .

LOL! It's obvious that my "powers of observation" are also lacking too. :oops:

Now that you mention it, I just noticed the single screw attaching the clip and I'm wondering if there's a binding tab under the screw that helps prevent the clip from turning. Otherwise, all that's keeping the clip aligned is the machined indentation in which the top of the clip sits. I'm not going to take it off to figure it out and will wait to see a photo or video after someone else does it.

Nick Shabazz has already posted a "disassembly and 1st impression" video about the Drunken but he doesn't remove the clip or comment about the single screw; he only disassembles the body/blade.

On the other hand, like me and CitizenO'B CitizenO'B , Nick says that he doesn't like the clip either and he mentions/shows (at about 12:30 mins into the video) the very small space between the body of the clip and the scale which prevents ease of insertion and removal of the knife from the pocket. He sees the clip as a product more of design than function; an opinion that I agree with.

Last edited:
From everything I’ve seen, heard, and read so far, my take is that the Drunken seems like a great knife except for the detent — which may vary between copies — the clip function, and possibly the ergonomics. The milling on the Drunken’s handles is nice and adds to the cost. I like the pivot and backspacer.

It’s similar enough to my SpydieChef that I wonder whether it’s worth more than $200 over the price I paid for that knife. That’s the same quandary I have about a lot of other knives in the $250-500 range. The only knives I’ve tried that I like better than the Chef start at $500. Unfortunately for my wallet.

So far I can’t say I’d buy the Drunken at the current price, but I’d love to try one in hand. That could make a difference.

Update: Love the blade, but mine's going back. It's a shame, but the clip ruins it for me. I actually like my PM2 CF M4 better, especially at $219 vs. $409.

That's too bad.

However, you might do better reselling the Drunken on the 2ndary market than returning it, since the initial run is already sold out at Spyderco and dealers still aren't showing it in stock either. No reason IMO why you shouldn't take economic advantage of a short term supply/demand situation to make a few $'s if you didn't buy it solely for the purpose of flipping it for profit.

There are a couple offered for sale right now on EB for $450 and one at auction that is currently bid at $350 w/2 days left to go; will be interesting to see what that one finally sells for. However, only 1 has actually sold so far for $400; $10 below MSRP.

In any event, I'm keeping mine despite the clip issue because it was always going to be a "safe queen" for me, since I don't make it a practice to carry or use $400 knives. However, I will be on the lookout for a better clip for it down the road.

Last edited:
That's too bad.

However, you might do better reselling the Drunken on the 2ndary market than returning it, since the initial run is already sold out at Spyderco and dealers still aren't showing it in stock either. No reason IMO why you shouldn't take economic advantage of a short term supply/demand situation to make a few $'s if you didn't buy it solely for the purpose of flipping it for profit.

There are a couple offered for sale right now on EB for $450 and one at auction that is currently bid at $350 w/2 days left to go; will be interesting to see what that one finally sells for. However, only 1 has actually sold so far for $400; $10 below MSRP.

In any event, I'm keeping mine despite the clip issue because it was always going to be a "safe queen" for me, since I don't make it a practice to carry or use $400 knives. However, I will be on the lookout for a better clip for it down the road.
Regular price still available at KnifeWorks and in stock, I see.
No safe queens for me.
Except, of course, for my Boker Magnum Rainbow Mermaid ! :)

Last edited:
Good knife. Very good.

400 USD hell no. We are loosing a Little bit of sense of reality (my thoughts)

The price seems out of line to me, but I think comparisons to ZT might be missing the fact that this knife seems to be ground very thin at the edge. I don't think ZT would ever produce a knife like this with an edge thinner than .020".

Reactions: Mo2
Back