Spyderco ENDELA Profile MOD Play

Recently acquired the new Endela model and of course I can't help but modify the profile.

I love lock back knives and creating something different that can't be had from the manufacturer is fun and satisfying for me.

So... I'm starting with a profile mod that will be a straight scale swap... no modifications required to the stainless liners.

Here's the Endela/Street Fighter... as yet unmachined but that will happen soon.
0hdXVK4.jpg

If i can order a set of scales for the Endela i set my dislikes aside for the Endela and buy one!great mod!

I managed to machine a set of prototype Endela/Street Fighter scales. I did them in black G10 with a FanBurst Frag texture and jade G10 smooth back spacer.

The machine code for the scales is perfect for profile and critical landmarks... but when assembling I ran into a small issue with the back spacer. The slot that receives the bar spring needs to have the angle reduced as it was near impossible to defeat the spring tension and insert the back lock bar. I did finally get it inserted and secured however the tension is too great to allow a thumb flick opening of the blade.

I will need to machine one or more back spacers with a reduced slot angle for the bar spring. I'll start with a 1 degree angle reduction and see where things shake out. I had a similar issue with the Delica/Lil'Para profile mod and it took several stabs to get that one perfect.

This design is a keeper. Look fantastic (but of course I'm biased)! Also very comfortable in my medium to medium/large hand.

Here are the prototype CAD drawing & pics...
0hdXVK4.jpg

e6bgQeu.jpg

iYrQBSw.jpg

xyyOYNZ.jpg

JzW84Nw.jpg

SnJ8sTT.jpg

82gbbap.jpg

aYPDbxv.jpg

uiFKPYx.jpg

Nice looking scales. I just received a serrated Endela. It’s a great size. I think these will be popular mods.

It took several attempts with sneaking up on the correct spring bar slot angle in the back spacer but I now have it where it wants to be. The difference from where I originally started to where I am locking down the code ended up at about a 5 degree angle change.

It has good spring tension for a snappish blade closure and flicks nicely for opening/locking. The red slot line was my starting point...

UQiZsvv.jpg

With some prompting and the generous loan of his Endela... Forum brother abbazaba has been collaborating on porting a couple of the Delica GrindMod profile designs to this new larger Spyderco addition. The design most nearest getting prototyped is the PM2'esque profile mod.

There are some minor differences in the stainless liner shapes between the Delica and the Endela however we were successful at mapping a PM2'esque outline onto the knife.

The attached drawing illustrates the size comparison between the Delica/Lil'Para and this new bigger brother... the Endela/PM2'esque.

We are also working at porting the GrindMod Verrazano profile and should have that design available in the near future...

w6sV11s.jpg

Continuing to play with profiles... I massaged a Military'esque appearance onto the Endela frame. The Endela stainless liners force certain compromises in the profile margins but I really like the idea of the slightly smaller back lock, tip up Military'esque knife.

I did this to the Endura but it resulted in a knife just a tad too large for my liking. I think this one will be perfect for me.

I just purchased an Endela and it's due here Nov 12th so I'll be machining this one sometime this coming week.

This will be a GrindMod version requiring a small bit of nose surgery to the stainless liners...

Vyy0C4G.jpg

Here are a few of pics of the profile modified ENDURA I did a while ago...

5vvKHqN.jpg

52K9Aax.jpg

OBylp88.jpg

Cq0Adwv.jpg

Z2m1n0A.jpg

PxJY7E8.jpg

3KxExQm.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to machine the Endela/Paramilitary first in lieu of the Endela/Military. Just as with the Lil'Para... the Paramilitary'esque profile mapped onto the Delica frame that I machine... this is the larger version Paramilitary'esque profile mapped onto the ENDELA frame. It is a GrindMod version... where a very slight amount of grinding is required to the stainless liners.

OD green G10 with a fan burst frag machined texture... smooth jade G10 back spacer...

74Wwfz0.jpg

flT8VD7.jpg

N0T4Jct.jpg

7C121YJ.jpg

1VY04vU.jpg

F7Oxq68.jpg

o3inkj2.jpg

Decided to machine the Endela/Paramilitary first in lieu of the Endela/Military. Just as with the Lil'Para... the Paramilitary'esque profile mapped onto the Delica frame that I machine... this is the larger version Paramilitary'esque profile mapped onto the ENDELA frame. It is a GrindMod version... where a very slight amount of grinding is required to the stainless liners.

OD green G10 with a fan burst frag machined texture... smooth jade G10 back spacer...

74Wwfz0.jpg
So far, I like this last one the best, but...
I'd follow the liners all the way around, except on the bottom back. I like neutral handles with pinky hooks.

I haven't yet got around to finishing the ENDELA/Verrazano profile MOD... I've been developing several back spacer designs for a few CRK knives.

I did however have a request for a set of ENDELA modified profile Paramilitary scales... bigger brother to the Delica/Lil'Para...

7aHuMdZ.jpg

NSXw7BM.jpg

ptLpJrz.jpg

EOJ6qzc.jpg

hZaS22K.jpg

Back