Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

This one offered by "dentman"?

fake_spyderco.jpg

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Thanks Deacon! How did you do that? It would not let me save in a jpg format. I am not the most savvy on the computer though. :D

FTPOSF (aka: from the piece of sh#+ files)

Spyderflyfakespart21.jpg

fake6part2.jpg

dealextremefakepart24jpg.jpg

dealextremefakepart23jpg.jpg

Dealextremefakepart22jpg.jpg

dealextremefakepart21jpg.jpg

dealextremefakepart2.jpg

14part2.jpg

11-3part2.jpg

6part2.jpg

Spyderflyflakeslart2.jpg

Sorry of some of these are repeats. It's kinda hard to keep up with all the junk.

Thanks Deacon! How did you do that? It would not let me save in a jpg format. I am not the most savvy on the computer though. :D
Cheap way, if you're on a Windows machine - hit the <Print Scr> key to copy the entire screen, open up Paint, paste in the screen dump, then crop it down to just what you want and save it.

Way I actually did it was with a Firefox Add-on called ScreenGrab that allows you to save a web page, or any part of it, as a JPG or PNG file. I find it to be a very handy tool. I use it a lot when ordering stuff online rather than printing out the order confirmation.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Listed again

Item #: 160523303672

Earlier in the year I got shown a load of knives bought from Deal Extreme, and each and every one was a really low grade copy of branded knives.

The absence of quality was overwhelming, it would have been laughable except for the fact that its trading on the reputation of accredited knife companies. :thumbdn:

Earlier in the year I got shown a load of knives bought from Deal Extreme, and each and every one was a really low grade copy of branded knives.

The absence of quality was overwhelming, it would have been laughable except for the fact that its trading on the reputation of accredited knife companies. :thumbdn:

I have seen a couple of them too. Not even something I would give to someone even if I didn't like them. I would guess that those may be the original source for the ones going around on Ebay. With the laws the way they are it's hard to stop folks overseas from selling this junk.

And again Item #160523580575

Sad thing is that there is a seller on Ebay that has sold 3 and has another one like it up now. I have reported the items til I'm blue in the face. I have just about come to the conclusion they don't care and probably don't know enough about the brand to know if I know what the hell I'm talking about. *shrug*

Sad thing is that there is a seller on Ebay that has sold 3 and has another one like it up now. I have reported the items til I'm blue in the face. I have just about come to the conclusion they don't care and probably don't know enough about the brand to know if I know what the hell I'm talking about. *shrug*

That's ironic given that eBay in the UK banned the sale of knives!

Yup, I can even see the craps in the blade structure... :p

Oh, you mean the crapbides.. ;)

It's not just you. I have also reported items on ebay that are blatant copies. I'v written to sellers and explained that they are selling fakes, some knowingly blew it off and blocked me from viewing their auctions, others took items down. It seems that ebay doesn't really care much where their final value fees come from, the most sales they allow the more money they rake in. A perfectly unethical business practice.

I got to thinking as I browsed this thread. If they don't use the Spyderco name and/or logo on the knife or packaging, is there really anything unethical going on? If not, I would consider many to be "homage" knives. Is it lame that they are riding Spyderco's proverbial coat tails? Sure...but that's capitalism for ya. This happens in the watch industry all the time.

My sincerest apologies if this is the wrong place to bring this up. It just seemed pertinent. Mods can feel free to delete or move with no hard feelings on my end.

-Jay

Last edited:
I got to thinking as I browsed this thread. If they don't use the Spyderco name and/or logo on the knife or packaging, is there really anything unethical going on? If not, I would consider many to be "hommage" knives. Is it lame that they are riding Spyderco's proverbial coat tails? Sure...but that's capitalism for ya. This happens in the watch industry all the time.

My sincerest apologies if this is the wrong place to bring this up. It just seemed pertinent. Mods can feel free to delete or move with no hard feelings on my end.

-Jay

Hi Jay. Welcome to Bladeforums. Where to begin...
The problem is that someone that is new to knives may think they are buying a Spyderco, they want a Spyderco, and in turn they get a folding piece of fecal matter. You wouldn't like that to happen to you, you would probably feel violated/humiliated when you did find out.
These people do in fact use the name and logo, and angle per angle attempt to copy the design. There is no honor in stealing, and no that is not capitalism. If it was paying hommage they would ask...and they don't they just rip people off in the end, that to me isn't a good thing. YMMV.

I got to thinking as I browsed this thread. If they don't use the Spyderco name and/or logo on the knife or packaging, is there really anything unethical going on? If not, I would consider many to be "hommage" knives. Is it lame that they are riding Spyderco's proverbial coat tails? Sure...but that's capitalism for ya. This happens in the watch industry all the time.

-Jay
Keep in mind that the Spyderhole round hole opener is a Spyderco trademark. IMHO, any company including it on a knife without prior approval from Spyderco permission is doing something unethical. Same would go for any knife using the compression lock, since that is patented. If the knife also happens to look like a Spyderco model, it would be even less ethical. If a knife looks "something like" a Spyderco model, but uses a different shaped opening hole, or another opening device, and does not violate any of Spyderco's other trademarks or patents, then yes, it would fall into the "homage" category.

Paul
bar_02.gif

Hi Jay. Welcome to Bladeforums. Where to begin...
The problem is that someone that is new to knives may think they are buying a Spyderco, they want a Spyderco, and in turn they get a folding piece of fecal matter. You wouldn't like that to happen to you, you would probably feel violated/humiliated when you did find out.
These people do in fact use the name and logo, and angle per angle attempt to copy the design. There is no honor in stealing, and no that is not capitalism. If it was paying hommage they would ask...and they don't they just rip people off in the end, that to me isn't a good thing. YMMV.

Keep in mind that the Spyderhole round hole opener is a Spyderco trademark. IMHO, any company including it on a knife without prior approval from Spyderco permission is doing something unethical. Same would go for any knife using the compression lock, since that is patented. If the knife also happens to look like a Spyderco model, it would be even less ethical. If a knife looks "something like" a Spyderco model, but uses a different shaped opening hole, or another opening device, and does not violate any of Spyderco's other trademarks or patents, then yes, it would fall into the "homage" category.

That's interesting. I appreciate the comments. Not to be argumentative, but in regards to the Spyderhole, do companies like Benchmade use it with permission, then?

-Jay

Last I read there was some sort of agreement between the 2 companies. If you search the forums you will find a lot of threads on that aspect.

Last edited:
Back