Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

Buy from known dealers. like united outdoors on ebay. They are great and usually have the best prices and you won't even have to think twice about it.

The only reason I would ever consider buying a Spyderco off Ebay is to get an old discontinued model. Even that, I have never actually done, and instead just wait until I see what I want pop up here at BF. Any current production Spyderco should never be bought off Ebay in my opinion. Just go with a reputable dealer, it is that simple.

There are a lot of reputable dealers on ebay

There are a lot of reputable dealers on ebay

Don't care really. It is not worth it when I can bring up many reputable dealers' websites and browse Spydercos only. EBay is bad about stopping the selling of fakes or their model is such that it is difficult to stop the fakes and I just don't want to support that. The risks just simply do not out weigh the rewards for me. Of course this is just me, I am not trying to convince anyone to not use EBay.

he want to help other knife people that are just starting out looking to buy one spot the fakes so they dont ripped off and get a fake thinking it was the real deal.

Why have a shrine thread to fakes? Why not just report them and be done?

Every detail is off and there is no way that clip was an oopsie.

B1

Every detail? Could you be more specific? I've pointed out the few ways in which they are obviously different. I have the knives directly in front of me, and "every detail" is certainly not off. What else are you specifically seeing that I haven't mentioned.

Specifically, there is no appreciable difference between the g10 scales. (They may be just slightly different, but the texture (roughness) is the same to the touch.) If the pics represent otherwise, that may be because the light coming through the window is hitting one of the knives just slightly different than the other. However, the difference in the reflective-ness of the blades is accurately portrayed in the pics.

I pulled out one of my regular Manix 2 knives (satin blade), and the pocket clip is more centered, like the Manix on the left/bottom above (with the darker blade).

Didn't someone say that there are no known reports of Manix 2 fakes (yet)? Also, I'll remind everyone that, if an "expert" decides that the knife on the top/right in the pics above is a fake, we're talking about a well-known seller (for whom Spyderco has made exclusives!) selling a fake. I'm not trying to stir up any drama here, but I am the owner of the knives pictured, and I was careful to purchase from rather reputable sellers, but the differences in the knives certainly caught my attention. I'd love to have Sal or someone at Spyderco comment on this, but I haven't seen a Gold Member or Moderator express concern about the noted differences, which makes me feel better about their authenticity. If neither is a fake, I'm a bit concerned about "quality control" at Spyderco, since I believe that the black blade is intended to not reflect light, like the one on the left/bottom. The one on the top/right above doesn't accomplish that goal very effectively.

Buy from known dealers. like united outdoors on ebay. They are great and usually have the best prices and you won't even have to think twice about it.

Since you brought up United Outdoors from ebay, I'll add that the Manix 2 on the left/bottom in post #474 above was purchased from them. They have a gazillion feedbacks on ebay and sell all the Spyderco models with FRN handles, and I heard that that was one feature of a reputable seller (since the FRN handles are too expensive to duplicate, so far anyway). The authenticity of that one has not been called into question. So far, a few posters have questioned the Manix 2 on the top/right above. I haven't revealed the seller on that one because I'm not here to unnecessarily smear anybody.

Hannbial your knives are real. Why are you worrying if you bought from a reputable dealer.

I'm actually not "worrying" about it. The first one that I received was the one with the shinier blade. Then, we I bought the one with the darker blade (and more centered pocket clip), I began to wonder if it (purchased from United Outdoors) was fake. However, the few here who have commented that they think one of them is fake have pointed to the first one with the shinier blade as the fake, and I sincerely doubt that, given the seller.

All that to say, if they are both genuine, why so much variation? That really surprises me.

So, you have some detail oriented people saying it's fake and some other people, blind I guess, saying they don't see any difference. I would send it in to Spyderco noting your displeasure with the quality control in Colorado and see what happens. Who knows, maybe it was bring your kid to work at Spyderco. Also, not sure what you think is so legitimate about somebody hustling on ebay, feedback is meaningless now. Lots of legitimate sellers on ebay?? OK, Maybe, lots of fakes and hustlers too. If it walks like a duck.................

B1

Last edited:
So, you have some detail oriented people saying it's fake and some other people, blind I guess, saying they don't see any difference. I would send it in to Spyderco noting your displeasure with the quality control in Colorado and see what happens. Who knows, maybe it was bring your kid to work at Spyderco. Also, not sure what you think is so legitimate about somebody hustling on ebay, feedback is meaningless now. Lots of legitimate sellers on ebay?? OK, Maybe, lots of fakes and hustlers too. If it walks like a duck.................

B1
Maybe you have a magic eye although I doubt that considering this is your 2nd post. I'm not sure if you're trolling or are actually that rude, but calling a bunch of people that disagree with you including one of the moderators blind isn't a the good way to introduce yourself to the forum. One of the easiest ways to find out if a knife could possibly be fake is to find out if its actually being counterfeited and sold on the counterfeit websites. A quick search will reveal that the Manix 2 is not, but the PM2, Military, Southard, Dragonfly, Domino, etc are. After that you can educate yourself about the differences between the clones and real thing such as grind, jimping, milling, etc.

Yes, I suppose some people make themselves feel important/intelligent by belittling people with honest questions and concerns. I thought this thread was intended for "newbies" like me trying to understand the difference between a "fake" and "natural production variation." For those of you who have provided patient input and assistance from your greater experience and knowledge, thank you.

For the others, well...

If you're going to post a fake Manix and expect us to accept this 'production variation' as genuine, YOU ARE DREAMING. Feigning sensitivity is classic 'douchebaggery'. I have already registered through another ISP and notified the appropriate parties regarding the nature of these suspect posts.

B1

Back