Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

This thread just saved me from buying a fake. I bid on a Yojimbo 2 that looked good. The auction had very good pictures and the knife looked good except for one thing. There was a period between Golden and Colorado instead of a comma. I would never have looked for that unless I saw it mentioned here. All the more expensive Spydercos have the comma. Thanks.

anyone have some good pics of the Sage 5? I recently bought on Amazon...don't really have a specific reason to suspect that its fake other than reading posts not to trust Amazon. Is there a reference library of some popular Spyderco's to compare against? Every thing i find is just related to the PM2 ugh

anyone have some good pics of the Sage 5? I recently bought on Amazon...don't really have a specific reason to suspect that its fake other than reading posts not to trust Amazon. Is there a reference library of some popular Spyderco's to compare against? Every thing i find is just related to the PM2 ugh
With Spyderco's minimum advertised pricing policy you might as well get it from a dedicated knife store unless there's a specific deal or reason to use Amazon.

Was there ever Enduras w/out jimping? I was at a gun show and there was some Enduras for sale on display (low end military surplus / junk table). There were no prices and no boxes. Woman said they were 90 each. They felt stiff, no liners and no jimping behind the spyderwhole. I was suspicious enough to not consider buying one but not confident enough that they were fakes to call her out. In hind sight, I wish I pushed it further.

BOLO Fake Bento Box M390, shown with a real DLT M390.

uu6yj1G.jpg

Kd55jci.jpg

A4WMNq2.jpg

Yu3xLou.jpg

B1Ubxnw.jpg

zBgKPp1.jpg

This thread just saved me from buying a fake. I bid on a Yojimbo 2 that looked good. The auction had very good pictures and the knife looked good except for one thing. There was a period between Golden and Colorado instead of a comma. I would never have looked for that unless I saw it mentioned here. All the more expensive Spydercos have the comma. Thanks.

I just ran across this same situation on a Yojimbo that I actually "won" on eBay but it was the seller himself who warned me that it might be a fake. Hard to believe but true.

The seller was notified by someone that the knife might be a fake and he added a notice of that to his auction the day b4 it closed. After I won, he sent me a msg asking if I had seen the addendum, which I did not, and said he'd be willing to cancel the sale if I thought it was a fake too. So, I did a little research and discovered 3 things that identified it as a fake: 1) the period after Golden and the compressed spacing of the lettering on the blade, 2) an increased gap between the line of the blade when closed w/the angle of the scale and 3) a larger gap between the top of the clip and the adjoining torx screw head.

The seller agreed w/my assessment, canceled the auction and refunded the $ paid. An extraordinary event on eBay for sure!

Please use this thread to demonstrate & educate against fake, clone, or otherwise nonauthentic Spyderco knives. Please observe the forums rules, and keep it clean. Do not post links to ACTIVE AUCTIONS on Ebay, it's against the rules.
Is anyone making fake diamond stones for the sharp maker? Am I safe ordering sharpening stones from Amazon?

Do you mean like cubic zirconia? ;)
The may use diamonds but maybe the size isnt correct to fit in the hole (I have heard of that happening) or the Diamonds weren't impregnated properly and come off, I don't know. I just worry about the stuff that Amazon sells through it's thousands of vendors. if I get a gift card from Amazon for Christmas should I buy stones from them?

That's a pretty damn good fake.

Any chance you can take a photo of the thumb cuts on the back of the blades, side by side.

A few people have commented that the Chinese fakes don't get this right and so easy to tell a fake but those look pretty close to each other.

Thanks

Last edited:
Holy crap! It's very hard to see why the Blue is the fake. I wonder how many people just don't buy Spyderco anymore due to the Chinese fakes getting them so close that they don't feel it's worth taking a chance anymore? :confused:
I know I will be forever skeptical now.

Holy crap! It's very hard to see why the Blue is the fake. I wonder how many people just don't buy Spyderco anymore due to the Chinese fakes getting them so close that they don't feel it's worth taking a chance anymore? :confused:
Buy from an authorized dealer and you will have piece of mind. But most people who buy on Amazon and eBay have no idea of the fakes spread through them. So the fakes that they allow are causing real problems to customers. It's too bad these sites are changing for the worse.

The Chinese have always been good at making things "look good". The Bling so to speak.
Its the reliability etc that they don't get right

I wouldn't trust the steel in the fakes, it's either not what it's supposed to be, not what it says it is and
god knows what the heat treatment is like.

As poster above me says, buy from authorised dealer and not Amazon.

Luckily I like older Spydies, serrated and FRN of which their are less fakes and I buy second hand
as I'm a user not a collector.

Is anyone making fake diamond stones for the sharp maker? Am I safe ordering sharpening stones from Amazon?
I dont think there are fakes of the diamond rods. But if you want piece of mind, make sure you buy from an authorized dealer. I noticed alot of fakes on Amazon and eBay will claim to be authorized or say it's the OEM but those are lies. Always check via spyderco.

But I haven't heard of fake diamond stones for the sharp maker. Not to say there isn't any, but I haven't heard of them yet.

I dont think there are fakes of the diamond rods. But if you want piece of mind, make sure you buy from an authorized dealer. I noticed alot of fakes on Amazon and eBay will claim to be authorized or say it's the OEM but those are lies. Always check via spyderco.

But I haven't heard of fake diamond stones for the sharp maker. Not to say there isn't any, but I haven't heard of them yet.
Thanks. It's just that I gave out a Christmas list including spyderco stones and people usually just go straight to Amazon to buy stuff.

Back