Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

I SAW THE EXACT SAME ONE!!!
I was gonna take a pic for this but the seller
got mad. I knew spyderco never made something like
that

I'm looking into buying my first Spyderco so I thought I'd check out this thread. I think this thread would be more useful in its original intent ("to demonstrate & educate against fake, clone, or otherwise nonauthentic Spyderco knives") if it pointed out some common clues or lack of features to look out for and had some comparison shots, and perhaps pin it all to the first post. Some say these fakes are obvious, but, as a new buyer, I really don't know and probably shouldn't be expected to crosscheck with the 300+ knives in Spyderco.com's catalog.

The barrage of random, temporary links doesn't really help out or inform the buyer as the thread is originally meant to do, though they're fine for the thread's amended purpose of being "a place where people can report fakes" to Spyderco.

i don't think anyone would be fooled by any of those knives, none of them look like Spyderco's, maybe one does but it doesn't lock so obviously its fake, and if the seller is in china its obviously fake, 99.9% of items from china are fake! simple rules i think, don't buy from china and don't buy stupid tacky knives with big cheesy spiders on them for cheap cause there going to be fake.

i don't think anyone would be fooled by any of those knives, none of them look like Spyderco's, maybe one does but it doesn't lock so obviously its fake, and if the seller is in china its obviously fake, 99.9% of items from china are fake! simple rules i think, don't buy from china and don't buy stupid tacky knives with big cheesy spiders on them for cheap cause there going to be fake.

To someone that has no real experience with folders they could see the knife and make the assumption that it is real. Folks that are into knives for performance, aesthetics, collectors, afis, know what's what. That is how these counterfeit knives come to be sold. Not everyone is an informed knife collector. We make up abput 3-5% of the entire population of people that carry knives. Most people don't know or care about the differences between S30V and potmetal or know a real knife from a fake.

Some of these fakes are so good that it's hard to tell!

Now, can anyone tell me that Spyderco sold by Amazon is real? Direct supplied by Amazon, not 3rd party or partner.

A little background:
Just got my Resilience after saving for a while. I purchased China Navy k631 which is a Military blade shape at the size of Endura, with handle taken from Cara Cara. It doesn't fake the name, but clearly the design is inspired by Spyderco.

Because it feels very nice in the hand, I decided to get the real Spyderco that actually designs the knife (though being cross bred by Navy). It costs a lot more than for folks in US (shipping is 30$ on top of the 40$ knife) but it worths the money spent, as the B&M store selling imported knives charges 2.5-3 times the online price (i.e if they brought Resilience in, it'll be 100$ or more!)

Being made also in China, to the contrary, it oozes quality (good QC, all smooth finish) and thoughtfullness in the design.

Appreciating Mr. Glesser, I decided to get another Resilience, again through Amazon.

Hope these are good purchases. I can't believe the one that has arrived is a fake, as I can feel the gap of quality against the OEM self 'designed' knives. I'd say Spyderco influence in the contract forces them to put more effort into the manufacturing quality control, executing what's acceptable by the designer.

Does a real Spyderco worth the price differences? YES
:thumbup:

We make up abput 3-5% of the entire population of people that carry knives. Most people don't know or care about the differences between S30V and potmetal or know a real knife from a fake.

Ya we may even be less than 3-5% Every time i've had a conversation with someone about knives or noticed a pocket clip and get to talking, it's always some cheap pos I wouldn't even gift to someone. Oh well...that's why I come here :thumbup:

you make a very good point, i forget that everyone isnt on BF, live for knives and as knife guy!

To someone that has no real experience with folders they could see the knife and make the assumption that it is real. Folks that are into knives for performance, aesthetics, collectors, afis, know what's what. That is how these counterfeit knives come to be sold. Not everyone is an informed knife collector. We make up abput 3-5% of the entire population of people that carry knives. Most people don't know or care about the differences between S30V and potmetal or know a real knife from a fake.

You don't know how much we wish that were true. You might be surprised at the number of fakes and knock offs received in W&R for repairs. :(

I saw this thread and as someone who has ordered and is Currently waiting patiently for his first Spyderco knife to arrive, a Resilience no less. |generally order items from site I trust and never from Ebay. I am not saying that all ebay sellers are bad its just that I don't trust the people that are selling items. I will order from the manufacture if I have to or I will order from a Canadian dealer on the west coast. well I should say thank you to this thread as it has given me some indicators to identify the fakes. If I find any at the flea markets around my area I will just laugh and tell the poor sap at the booth that he is selling cheap knock offs of great knives.

Hard to tell from the grainy pic, but would this Stretch be a fake? I can't seem to locate any other pics of a Stretch with Sal's little signature emblem on the right side of the blade, as this one does.

11d952a3.jpg

If the sign of fake just because there's no LH clip slot, they might just as well to put one there in the future, and then no way one can tell it apart from the real thing. I thought there could be a better indicator. Seems like Spyderco needs to do some work to educate their customers against counterfeits. The same seller is still selling a lot of brand name products, 99.7% positive rating huh?

Back