Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

He said it’s a legit one he had that was 3-4 years old. I talked to Spyderco today and the woman I talked to said it looks like it has a lot of goofy characteristics to it but looks to be legitimate. I didn’t send the last three pictures to them yet that shows the grind lines and lines in the tang.
Oh well.....maybe I’ll use it as a beater.
Hmm....

It is funky. If spyderco says it looks legit it probably is. You'll never know for sure though unless you send it in. Those handles are very cool and also unique to every knife. Maybe look for a nice sprint or exclusive steel to put in them. Other than returning it, that is what I would do.

Hmm....

It is funky. If spyderco says it looks legit it probably is. You'll never know for sure though unless you send it in. Those handles are very cool and also unique to every knife. Maybe look for a nice sprint or exclusive steel to put in them. Other than returning it, that is what I would do.

I have thought about that as well. I actually have an m390 delica coming on Monday. Might have to swap it onto these scales. Who knows. I’m going to use it and see how it holds up in the meantime. Thanks for all the help.

Just received a response through email from Spyderco and they said they cannot tell 100% if it’s real and suggest sending it in. Ughhhh....... Maybe I will do that next week. I am headed out of town for the weekend.

That's frustrating. Not sure I'd send it in unless I knew I'd gt the handles back if the blade turn out to be fake. As I understand it, if they find it to be fake, that's a one way trip. Maybe sending just the blade?

Using it is another good way to tell if it is VG-10. if fake, at best it would be something like 8cr, most likely something much worse. You should be able to tell the difference with use and sharpening. Of course, once you do stuff to/with it, you can't return it in good conscience, not sure if a return was on the table any way though.

I believe the blade is real.
There are are few oddities that I have seen with Spyderco Seki models over the past few years.

That's frustrating. Not sure I'd send it in unless I knew I'd gt the handles back if the blade turn out to be fake. As I understand it, if they find it to be fake, that's a one way trip. Maybe sending just the blade?

Using it is another good way to tell if it is VG-10. if fake, at best it would be something like 8cr, most likely something much worse. You should be able to tell the difference with use and sharpening. Of course, once you do stuff to/with it, you can't return it in good conscience, not sure if a return was on the table any way though.

I do not want to send it in for the same reason. The more I use this knife, the more I think it’s just an older legit model. I saw some old pictures of delica that are many years old and the lettering on the blade looks the same as mine. I also think it is vg10 because I just did some heavy whittling and cutting of wood and the blade still shaves hair afterwards.

I never really wanted a return or the seller to do anything. I knew buying this knife,that was essentially put together, Could have some flaws or issues. I’m still planning on just using it and seeing if it grows on me.

I believe the blade is real.
There are are few oddities that I have seen with Spyderco Seki models over the past few years.
I think you are right. I feel as though it has some flaws but it’s real.

As long as the blade feels as though it is heat treated correctly I would not worry about the cosmetic anomalies.

I have about 7 different Delicas and they are very capable knives for being so compact.
Enjoy the knife, the zome scales look very neat, someday I will scoop one of them up.

As long as the blade feels as though it is heat treated correctly I would not worry about the cosmetic anomalies.

I have about 7 different Delicas and they are very capable knives for being so compact.
Enjoy the knife, the zome scales look very neat, someday I will scoop one of them up.

I always loved the delica. I’ve had quite a few of them. It took me a long time to realize hoW good they are. There was a period of time where I did not own one but had just about every other knife. I started carrying a small 21 For a few years and on a whim I ordered another delica. It totally kicked the Seb out of my pocket. A delica is the perfect edc blade.

I do not want to send it in for the same reason. The more I use this knife, the more I think it’s just an older legit model. I saw some old pictures of delica that are many years old and the lettering on the blade looks the same as mine. I also think it is vg10 because I just did some heavy whittling and cutting of wood and the blade still shaves hair afterwards.

I never really wanted a return or the seller to do anything. I knew buying this knife,that was essentially put together, Could have some flaws or issues. I’m still planning on just using it and seeing if it grows on me.

Besides sending it in, and completely trusting the source, a test of the steel is the best way to tell a fake unless there are obvious cosmetic tells. No way a counterfeit would act like VG-10. Sound like you are spot on in your assessment. Like I said before, I'd look to swap the blade anyway, for a nice exotic steel. :)

Just purchased this on eBay and worried I might have gotten a fake. I can’t find anything about S30V with any kind of tan or brown scales.

Attachments

• B680BC98-08C6-40F5-A449-8E8234A5B554.jpeg
    B680BC98-08C6-40F5-A449-8E8234A5B554.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 73
  • B67A8895-7688-4580-8AC3-7458AF15C09B.jpeg
    B67A8895-7688-4580-8AC3-7458AF15C09B.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 16651BBB-21C4-49CA-B8E6-FCE61E292A9C.jpeg
    16651BBB-21C4-49CA-B8E6-FCE61E292A9C.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 73
Just purchased this on eBay and worried I might have gotten a fake. I can’t find anything about S30V with any kind of tan or brown scales.

The pictures are a little fuzzy when zooming in, but it looks good. Could have been a scale swap with an s35vn model. Do the liners have little notches on them? That's usually a tell tale sign.

I'm looking at picking up an H1 Assist that I found on Craigslist. I'm not sure how much risk there is with a knife as specific as this one so I'm hoping to get some guidance before I meet the seller this weekend.
The seller sent me two pictures of the knife so I'll attach them. Any help is much appreciated!

1JBlN3v.jpg

1BLJrwT.jpg

As you said, I think the odds of that model being faked are very low. Someone who owns one can give you better insight though.

Legit delica4

One in question. Has grind lines or just lines that run perpendicular to the flat grind marks. Notice the above delica does not have this. This blade is also very shiny compared to my other delica. Almost mirror like

I am more worried about the "J" in "Japan" on the blade - I checked all of my Spyderco knifes and they all have a nice tail up, the VG and ZDP steel ones all do.

I'm posting this here in the Spyderco Sub to make sure other Spyderco fans are aware. Bladeforums now has a supporting dealer that sells clones of many top manufacturers like Spyderco, CRK, Benchamde, Lionsteel, Pro-tech, Ontario, etc...

Of specific concern to Spyderco fans is that this dealer, topomart, sells lots of Ganzo brand knives which are notorious for stealing from Spyderco. Specifically, this bladeforums supporting dealer sells a copy of the Byrd Meadowlark. Take a look below. They also use a tagging system so if you search google with topomart spyderco, you are directed to other clones on their website. Quite shady. Spyderco and other members should be aware of this and if you want more information or to participate in the discussion of this new dealer, please see the links in my signature or go to the tech support section of bladeforums. There is also a thread in the GB&U.

@tazkristi @Sal Glesser

kHVRSWuh.png

tUllQZph.png

Beware Australian / international buyers - I was searching for a Para 3 in Maxamet (futile, I know) and I stumbled across this site:

https://www.knifeonline.com.au/

Before I go further - I'm not saying this website is a scam, I am saying it feels suspicious to me, for the following reasons:
  • They have a wide range of (sold out everywhere else) Spyderco knives available,
  • insanely competitive pricing (~50% cheaper than Australia's typical listed prices),
  • they have 'borrowed' an image (from knifecenter - it has their logo on it!) on their from page, for their Zero Tolerance knife selection,
  • their logo says 'Knives Store' which doesn't match their URL,
  • there is no information about the actual company (who they are, where they're based, no phone number, contact email address etc) and
  • co Customer feedback / reviews on anything (I haven't looked everywhere, but they typically advertise this stuff prominently).
It feels like (an admittedly well made) 'shell' of a website - I was sorely tempted to make a purchase, but it just raises too may red flags with me. So I used their contact form to send the following:

Hi - I am interested in making a purchase with you, but I do have concerns; I'm wary of scam sites and fake goods so I'm sure you'll be happy to help me with the following:

1. how do you manage to have stock of so many exclusive Spyderco knives (sold out everywhere else) at 50% cheaper prices than other retailers in Australia?
2. where are you based - I can't find you address on the site?
3. can you share your ABN with me please?
4. why have you used an image with knifecenters logo on it?

Thanks for your time,

Martin

I'll let you know how they respond. In the meantime, do any of you have experience with this brand? I'm happy to be proven wrong - please let me know if this is the case and I will delete this post.

Last edited:
TLDR; www.knifeonline.com.au is a scam site

Full story:

Okay, this is interesting, when I sent my above query it went to an address that appeared odd to me, but I left it at that as I had other things to do. Anyway, I got an unsatisfactory reply from them, that didn't answer all my questions (and raised a few more with me); here it is:

Dear
Please be advised that our product is 100% authentic , affordable and guarnateed . We offer the largest range in the world, and have the capacity to buy the product in bulk at an unbeatbale price .
Naturally, our dedicated customer service team are here to help you every step of the way, so if you have any questions or concerns regarding any of our products please feel free to contact us.
Our warehouse are located in the heart of America in Los Angeles . Los Angeles is one of the fastest-growing international cities in the world and is a hub for many leading e-commerce companies.
Time frame to receive the item will take around 3-7 business days.
Have a nice day!

So - the site is a .com.AU (Australia) but they're based in Los Angeles? No answer on business numbers or why they stole an image from another site? Missing Customer name and poor spelling and grammar in their reply?

I decided to google the zendesk name that my query was routed to (DREW JAMES MASTERS (CYBER LIMITED) and this is where the plot thickens - the first related search result that came back, lead me to... Bladeforums:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/knifesilo-com-appears-to-be-a-scam.1656740/

I'll add this info into the above thread to raise visibility of this issue.

Back