Spyderco/Farid K2

Hard use is a buzzy term that means something different to everyone. In my mind so long as you are using it as a cutting tool, just about any Spyderco could be used hard. They are all quality tools, and I have never worried about one of mine failing me in proper, light or hard use. Jim has done some destruction test, and works his knives. I would say his criteria would be a little higher to get this knife labeled hard use. He will be the first to tell you to use it and not worry about lock failure or edge damage. His testing procedures puts knives through more work than most knives see in years. Cutting 5/8 rope and wood IMO opinion is hard use.

With all that being said, I think this knife will be awesome in the kitchen. I won't be using it like say my Tuff, Cruwear Manix, or some other knives with a steel that is generally regarded as tougher.

Think Military, like Ti Military.....

This is not a Tuff...

Yes one could do some harder type CUTTING with the K2, but it's not one that should be abused...

The term 'Hard Use' has cropped up here often, I see two different types of meaning to 'Hard Use', one would be the type of knife which for some reason people put through a 'car door' to see if it can do it without much damage, does that qualify as 'Hard Use' ?
Or on the other hand you can take a folding knife and start using it for normal cutting without abuse and you take a look at it weeks later and 'it still cuts' , or maybe this qualifies as 'Hard Use' . These words have more than one meaning.

K2 is the perfect high performance cutting tool for all users who do not wish to abuse a knife but want ultimate cutting capability, high performance from a folding knife.
Take care
F

The term 'Hard Use' has cropped up here often, I see two different types of meaning to 'Hard Use', one would be the type of knife which for some reason people put through a 'car door' to see if it can do it without much damage, does that qualify as 'Hard Use' ?
Or on the other hand you can take a folding knife and start using it for normal cutting without abuse and you take a look at it weeks later and 'it still cuts' , or maybe this qualifies as 'Hard Use' . These words have more than one meaning.

K2 is the perfect high performance cutting tool for all users who do not wish to abuse a knife but want ultimate cutting capability, high performance from a folding knife.
Take care
F

Farid,

For some it does mean pounding through car doors, bricks, concrete, splitting a cord of wood for the winter, prying apart logs etc......

So I use the term hard use lightly and carefully.....

Think Military, like Ti Military.....

This is not a Tuff...

Yes one could do some harder type CUTTING with the K2, but it's not one that should be abused...

Jim I believe has tested the K2 very well and he knows what he is doing and I trust his ways, what I he is saying is you can not abuse the knife, just use it for cutting and do not try to abuse it. That's all.

Farid,

For some it does mean pounding through car doors, bricks, concrete, splitting a cord of wood for the winter, prying apart logs etc......

So I use the term hard use lightly and carefully.....

:thumbup:

I agree Jim, people need to understand the difference between a Hard Use knife which they can abuse to some degree and also a Hard Use knife which cuts for months under normal use.

:thumbup:

I agree Jim, people need to understand the difference between a Hard Use knife which they can abuse to some degree and also a Hard Use knife which cuts for months under normal use.

Farid,

Yes, the K2 is a high quality cutting tool that if cared for will perform at an extremely high level for a very long time. :)

Jim

Farid,

Yes, the K2 is a high quality cutting tool that if cared for will perform at an extremely high level for a very long time. :)

Jim

Many years ago when steels like CPM-10v, CPM-9v became available we started the slow transition in to a different level of knife making, we are already in a different dimension in this business when compared to 30 years ago, the level of performance which is achievable today with certain steels and good heat-treatment can not be compared to 30 years ago, but now we as makers and testers have a laborious task of educating people on these steels, what they can do and what they can not do.
Education is the key to move forward and to make others understand, also I like to pass on my knowledge when I can.
F

We will get there Jim.
Take care my friend

F

Many years ago when steels like CPM-10v, CPM-9v became available we started the slow transition in to a different level of knife making, we are already in a different dimension in this business when compared to 30 years ago, the level of performance which is achievable today with certain steels and good heat-treatment can not be compared to 30 years ago, but now we as makers and testers have a laborious task of educating people on these steels, what they can do and what they can not do.
Education is the key to move forward and to make others understand, also I like to pass on my knowledge when I can.
F

Farid,

Exactly. :) :thumbup:

Education is the key.

Farid,

Exactly. :) :thumbup:

Education is the key.

I just want to say, I have nothing but respect for your twos discourse on this knife, both here and on the Spyderco forums. Despite some people's attitudes, vendettas, and sour attitude, you two have been polite and clear in what this knife is for. It's a cutting tool...a high performance one that should be treated as such.

In my mind, this is like taking an AI rifle and using it like a club, breaking stuff with it, then complaining that it can't stand up to it. It's not SUPPOSED to. It's a high performance tool with a specific set of goals and performance in mind.

I just want to say, I have nothing but respect for your twos discourse on this knife, both here and on the Spyderco forums. Despite some people's attitudes, vendettas, and sour attitude, you two have been polite and clear in what this knife is for. It's a cutting tool...a high performance one that should be treated as such.

In my mind, this is like taking an AI rifle and using it like a club, breaking stuff with it, then complaining that it can't stand up to it. It's not SUPPOSED to. It's a high performance tool with a specific set of goals and performance in mind.

Thanks. :)

Jim & Farid,

My K2 slicing death ray finally shipped and I'm going to climb Mount K2 with it (I need some more Himalayan Pink Salt). :)

I have no idea what people's expectations were once told the specs. Hard-use is an over-abused almost meaningless term without context.

I look at the K2 as a mean lean long cutting machine for the weekends and beyond. With proper care the 10V should last a long, long time in even corrosive climates.

I see y'all's point on hard use I should have been more specific...no I don't want to put it through a car door or pry Ect. For me hard use in a folder of this type would be skinning a deer or other game but not full take down of said game, food prep and reasonable camp chores you would expect of a folder and how long it holds an edge in said tasks. I had been looking at a sebenza but the K2 is much more my style and well it's a spyderco and cheaper so that's really what I'm comparing it too and think the K2 is gonna be my choice.

Am I being overly picky about the lockup, or am I just used to most companies early to mid lockup? Mines at about 75/80%

I received mine last night, and think it's a great buy. I find it difficult to close one-handed, but that doesn't bother me - quick opening is important, not quick closing. Not as refined and ergonomic as the Slysz Bowie, but for the size and materials, it's a much better deal. If these eventually start popping up for around $200, I will probably be tempted to buy a second.

Might not be practical for EDC, but I could easily pair this with a hatchet and feel that I have my bases covered outdoors.

You got yours last night? :(

Mine should arrive around lunch time today.... Or else my PO guy is in trouble... He knows I collect knives...

Show more pics!

What is hard use is very subjective but I was watching recently a youtube test of Zero Tolerance 550 in S35VN by the forum member Vinul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW0TVkcBFkw&feature=youtu.be
I find this test a good example of what a worst case (non destructive!) test may look like.

I was playing with the K2 since yesterday and I find it much closer to the Military in terms of optimization for slicing vs. extreme durability (slicing is much preferred in my opinion in a folding knife). The quality of the knife is superb (best Spydercos come out of Taichung nowadays) but it is definitely not for everyone. The major issues are that it is simply too big to carry most of the time (due to legal or practical reasons) and camping wise it falls into no-mans land where it is not tough enough to be used as an only knife and too big (IMHO) for a secondary. Lastly, one hand closing is possible but not safe as your fingers are under the closing blade. With that said 10v is 10v and practicality be damned :)

I heard that Farid is making small K2 in 2015 that I will be personally looking to get. If Farid is reading I would suggest 3.5 to 4 inches blade with titanium framelock on one side and G-10 or carbon fiber on the other. (The all titanium handle gets slippery when wet).

vvk... The K2 list is closed, do a search :)... no g10, all Ti. I would suggest keeping gloves with your car/truck/pack.

vvk... The K2 list is closed, do a search :)... no g10, all Ti. I would suggest keeping gloves with your car/truck/pack.

What? I thought I read a day or two ago that the mini K2 is planned for next year and now you are telling me that the list is already closed? Or are you talking about this years K2? It is a regular run so should be available without a wait list. I guess I am spoiled by how good the rough g10 Spidies feel in the hand so it is hard for me to adjust to all metal knives but guess there are many people who liked them so to each his or her own :)

Last edited:
Back