Spyderco Flipper

There was a post recently with a pic of a titanium framelock flipper, but I didn't see any mention of a model number or name. Is this officially going to be made, or just a rumor at this point? Any info on steel, country of origin, etc? This looks like an awesome knife!

It's rumored to have been talked about at SHOT with Sal as if it's most likely going to happen.

I'm excited about this one.

I really like the looks. It will be nice to find out about size and materials, and PLEASE make it in the USA!!!

I got to play with the proto at SHOT -- it's an awesome knife. Just from eyeballing it, the blade length was around 3.5". The stock of the titanium on the framelock was nice and thick, and the overall thickness of the knife was definitely greater than your average Spyderco (think something like the ZT 0550). Not sure what the steel was, but at least on the proto, the G-10 scale on the off side was tan.

As for whether they'll make it into production, in the display case with not-yet-released models, Spyderco had each knife labeled as either a "proto" or a "concept knife". "Proto" meant that the knife was going to make it to production and was a knife that Spyderco had produced (you guessed it) a proto of, while concept knives were just that -- knives that designers (often custom makers) had submitted for consideration but which may never see the light of day. As I recall, the Southard flipper was in the "proto" category, meaning it should make it to production. I certainly hope so, as it was a fantastic knife.

A 3.5" blade would be awesome, but I hope it isn't "too" thick. Where do you typically preorder a knife like this when it becomes official?

A 3.5" blade would be awesome, but I hope it isn't "too" thick. Where do you typically preorder a knife like this when it becomes official?
Haven't seen any pre-orders up for it yet. My guess is that even if it's "official" within Spyderco (and between Spyderco and Brad), it may be far enough out that dealers haven't put in orders for them yet.

As far as the thickness, my guess is that the blade stock is around the same thickness as the Millie (4 mm), with the difference being that the Southard flipper maintains its thickness out toward the tip a lot more than the Millie does.

I don't mind a thick blade, I'm just hoping the overall thickness is "pocket friendly."

This picture was posted over on the USN. Who knows what the current iteration is like though.

IMG_0791.jpg

Oh ya! I would LOVE to get one of these suckers. But I'm guessing it'll be out of my price range.

The only things I don't like about the prototype is the g10 lock stop (because of the color against the titanium), and the double curve on the lock cutout. Otherwise, I dig it.

I spoke to sal about this at last years Blade..typically from prototype to production, it takes anywhere from a year to 1.5..

Either way, I think it's an awesome design..I hope they work some kind of bearing system pivot. I want that blade screamin out of the handle

That looks so sweet. I would love to see it with a 4" blade though.

Noooooooo! I hope 3.5" max. I Really like this knife and I hope they mention pricing and materials sooner rather than later.

.I hope they work some kind of bearing system pivot.

When I tried it at OKCA last year I barely flicked it and the blade flipped open and locked at near light speed. What ever is in there now doesn't need any improvement. Can't wait to try it again this year.

When I tried it at OKCA last year I barely flicked it and the blade flipped open and locked at near light speed. What ever is in there now doesn't need any improvement. Can't wait to try it again this year.

I know the original by Southard has IKBS

Back