Spyderco Flipper

The Para2 sprint required a lot less R&D though. This knife was designed and made completely from scratch, and the bearing system (different from the Para2 bushing system) Would have taken a bit of research, too. I can't think of any Spydercos that use a bearing system off of the top of my head, so if we assume there aren't any, then it is a flipper, and a bearing knife, and a first on both counts for Spyderco. R&D costs may be higher than you think because though this is not new technology, almost every company has to start from scratch when they wish to foray into a new tech system, because so many technologies are proprietary. That and the steel may bump up the price a bit. I think $250 is a reasonably safe guess, on the high end, although I think street price would be closer to your estimated $175 once demand drops down a bit. ZT 0560s are dropping down to normal secondary market prices after they were originally under the influence of ridiculous inflation from demand.

The Para2 sprint required a lot less R&D though. This knife was designed and made completely from scratch, and the bearing system (different from the Para2 bushing system) Would have taken a bit of research, too. I can't think of any Spydercos that use a bearing system off of the top of my head, so if we assume there aren't any, then it is a flipper, and a bearing knife, and a first on both counts for Spyderco. R&D costs may be higher than you think because though this is not new technology, almost every company has to start from scratch when they wish to foray into a new tech system, because so many technologies are proprietary. That and the steel may bump up the price a bit. I think $250 is a reasonably safe guess, on the high end, although I think street price would be closer to your estimated $175 once demand drops down a bit. ZT 0560s are dropping down to normal secondary market prices after they were originally under the influence of ridiculous inflation from demand.

Can't forget royalties! I think $200 street would be a safe bet.

Valid points, I did not research the pivot system enough, and I was talking first-hand street price not MRSP. Maybe being overly optimistic because I really want this one! I do hope that they make enough of these such that they are not extremely difficult to find.

The size seems just right to me. I didn't get the ZT 0560 because it's too big for my EDC. The Southard flipper is about the same size as the Para 2 which I love so count me in!

I could not stop thinking about this knife all day. I've been looking for a quality flipper for a while and this is is the first knife that makes my heart jump. So when is the weekly support group meeting until it is released?

I could not stop thinking about this knife all day. I've been looking for a quality flipper for a while and this is is the first knife that makes my heart jump. So when is the weekly support group meeting until it is released?

W actually daily and continuous as we all cry into our coffee each morning, our lunches, our dinners, and to sleep.

I may have to get this instead of a 0561! Has Sal hinted at a release date yet?

It seems like everytime I pop into the spyderco section after giving it a few days I miss a preorder. FML.

I didn't pre-order one and I'm seriously hoping I don't end up waiting for months to get one.

I don't know how dealers are putting this up for pre-order. No distributers have any info on it yet. Basically dealers are assuming they'll get at least a certain # of Southards when there is a real release date. In the mean time you've been pre-sold...literally.

Back