Spyderco Forum problem

No, he was a jerk there too. Wanting spyderco to put axis locks (or pin and springs as he called them) in the PM2. He posted plenty, so he was being untruthful about the moderation. He just didn't get his way there, and Sal and company don't need to tell him whether or not they're going to use the axis lock on anything.

Not to mention he told someone here he could grow a better beard and he started shaving at 11. So I'm thinking hes very young, very naive, and feels entitled.

I tried to explain you could engineer the cbbl lock to fit into any handle you want, and he didn't seem to believe me. Hes just hard up for axis locks. Lol

Yeah, that guy right up there became a major problem for me, to the point of harassment, and I had to do something about it. Sad really, I tried to be polite and deferential to his opinions, but he just wasn't having it.

Yup this was exactly my experience. TERRIBLE

For the record, I like the Spyderco forum and never said it was "TERRIBLE."

I'm very impressed with Sal and Mike's involvement answering questions and responding to suggestions. I was just a little surprised at how long new member posts took to be approved, but not a big deal and considering the circumstances totally understandable. I felt bad making everyone wait to hear who I picked to win photo of the week...I won with my first post on the forum. :D

This thread is a fine example of how people will complain about anything.

A forum is provided, at no cost to them, where they can go and gather info, and have interaction with other (mostly) like minded people, yet they complain about how it is run.

I swear, you could hand out $5 bills to everyone you pass on the street, and they would complain that they weren't $10 bills.

This thread is a fine example of how people will complain about anything.

A forum is provided, at no cost to them, where they can go and gather info, and have interaction with other (mostly) like minded people, yet they complain about how it is run.

I swear, you could hand out $5 bills to everyone you pass on the street, and they would complain that they weren't $10 bills.

Fair go mate, It really is 1 or 2 people complaining, not a truck load in this thread. Most people in this thread have expressed their appreciation and gratitude to Spyderco and the Glesser's. Myself included. There's a glitch with the forum, otherwise it's great and has a great community.

I bet if you surveyed people participating here 99.9% would be happy with the forum. Myself included. I just want to get back and stay there so I can participate in a respectful and productive way.

Extortion, classy.

Not "extorting" anything here. This is simply how we, as consumers weigh in/vote. Yes, I'm pissed that I was banned for no good reason. I am a big fan of Spyderco...appreciate their knives and their involvement in the community....just stating that I will not purchase another knife until I am reinstated.
Peter

Not "extorting" anything here. This is simply how we, as consumers weigh in/vote. Yes, I'm pissed that I was banned for no good reason. I am a big fan of Spyderco...appreciate their knives and their involvement in the community....just stating that I will not purchase another knife until I am reinstated.
Peter
Lol. You do you. :rolleyes:

Hey, everyone:
As the primary person responsible for our forum, I thought I should offer some additional details for clarity. Sal was very kind in giving me some privacy, but I'm willing to share. I was out of the office for a few weeks because my Mom passed away. In all honesty, her health had been rapidly declining for the past several months so I've been in and out of the office quite a bit. Most people are aware that I'm usually online or at least available to be online unless I'm asleep or on a plane :))) but this was different for obvious reasons.

I'm working through close to just over 700 e-mails (not all, of course, are related to the forum) and I'll be getting these issues resolved today. It's possible that the accounts mentioned were not actually banned, but the accounts were shifted into a group that is heavily restricted due to a high number of bounced e-mails - like most forums, we ask that our members provide and maintain a valid e-mail address. Once we have a valid e-mail address, it's easy to reactivate the account.

Pjake Pjake , dalefuller dalefuller - this is the case with your accounts - your e-mail addresses weren't valid. I just updated your e-mails to the address that each of you e-mailed me from and moved you out of the bounced e-mail group.

A amateur blacksmith - looks like there was a typo in your username and e-mail address. I've fixed both - your name now matches your name here.

We do moderate new members for a period of time. We utilize several different tools to help us keep the forum safe, and as free of spam as possible. Once upon a time, 99% of spam was generated by bots, but that's not the case now. There are actual people sitting in large rooms filled with computers doing nothing but attempting to disrupt different sites - kind of like the telemarketer phone banks only it's not the dinner-hour that they're trying to ruin. Spammers now copy and paste legitimate posts - some from recent activity and others have gone back more than 10 years - this gives them a better shot at getting through filters. To put some numbers behind this information, our software has blocked more than 23,000 known spam traffickers in just the past 12 hours. On average, it blocks 40-50,000 attempts on our forum every day. Most of these are bots, but there's just enough of them that aren't bots (that can answer questions, math problems, reCAPTCHA, etc.) that make post moderation a requirement to keep the forum safe/clean. We typically approve posts throughout the day, but there can be delays in the evenings, on weekends, and in special circumstances.

Finally, for BigWillie. He was removed for violating rules of our forum. We don't allow harassment or threats.

I hope this clears things up for everyone. If I didn't mention you above, but you sent me an e-mail, hang in there. I'll e-mail you once your account is clear.

Thanks much.

Kristi

Thanks Kristi!!! So sorry for your loss. Very gracious for answering our issues. Now I can be on the lookout for the McBee I have been coveting.
Best....Peter

I'm back on as well. Thanks for fixin' me up. I am sorry for your loss. Prayers sent for you and yours going forward.

I must be the most naive internet user in existence, but I still can't figure out why people sit behind their keyboards, or on their phone, and type rude things. Disagreement is fine, at least on all of the forums I am active on, and it often leads to good discourse. There is a way to state your opinions, a way to have your voice, and a way not to. It's just common sense and common decency, which we really should all try to exhibit. One way works, one way just doesn't. If you have a viewpoint, popular or not, discuss it civilly, and others will usually do the same. I just don't get it.

I must be the most naive internet user in existence, but I still can't figure out why people sit behind their keyboards, or on their phone, and type rude things. Disagreement is fine, at least on all of the forums I am active on, and it often leads to good discourse. There is a way to state your opinions, a way to have your voice, and a way not to. It's just common sense and common decency, which we really should all try to exhibit. One way works, one way just doesn't. If you have a viewpoint, popular or not, discuss it civilly, and others will usually do the same. I just don't get it.

A lot of the time it is young people who think acting like that will make others respect them. Alpha male syndrome maybe? Act like the biggest, baddest dog and you'll be top of the heap. Too young to understand that being calm and respectful will get you a lot more recognition.

What's the saying? Better to be silent and seen as a fool, rather than opening your mouth and removing all doubt? Something like that.

I used to be that way, typing faster than my brain could think, believing that I knew everything. Now that I'm older I know a bit... Still not enough though!

Th
Hey, everyone:
As the primary person responsible for our forum, I thought I should offer some additional details for clarity. Sal was very kind in giving me some privacy, but I'm willing to share. I was out of the office for a few weeks because my Mom passed away. In all honesty, her health had been rapidly declining for the past several months so I've been in and out of the office quite a bit. Most people are aware that I'm usually online or at least available to be online unless I'm asleep or on a plane :))) but this was different for obvious reasons.

I'm working through close to just over 700 e-mails (not all, of course, are related to the forum) and I'll be getting these issues resolved today. It's possible that the accounts mentioned were not actually banned, but the accounts were shifted into a group that is heavily restricted due to a high number of bounced e-mails - like most forums, we ask that our members provide and maintain a valid e-mail address. Once we have a valid e-mail address, it's easy to reactivate the account.

Pjake Pjake , dalefuller dalefuller - this is the case with your accounts - your e-mail addresses weren't valid. I just updated your e-mails to the address that each of you e-mailed me from and moved you out of the bounced e-mail group.

A amateur blacksmith - looks like there was a typo in your username and e-mail address. I've fixed both - your name now matches your name here.

We do moderate new members for a period of time. We utilize several different tools to help us keep the forum safe, and as free of spam as possible. Once upon a time, 99% of spam was generated by bots, but that's not the case now. There are actual people sitting in large rooms filled with computers doing nothing but attempting to disrupt different sites - kind of like the telemarketer phone banks only it's not the dinner-hour that they're trying to ruin. Spammers now copy and paste legitimate posts - some from recent activity and others have gone back more than 10 years - this gives them a better shot at getting through filters. To put some numbers behind this information, our software has blocked more than 23,000 known spam traffickers in just the past 12 hours. On average, it blocks 40-50,000 attempts on our forum every day. Most of these are bots, but there's just enough of them that aren't bots (that can answer questions, math problems, reCAPTCHA, etc.) that make post moderation a requirement to keep the forum safe/clean. We typically approve posts throughout the day, but there can be delays in the evenings, on weekends, and in special circumstances.

Finally, for BigWillie. He was removed for violating rules of our forum. We don't allow harassment or threats.

I hope this clears things up for everyone. If I didn't mention you above, but you sent me an e-mail, hang in there. I'll e-mail you once your account is clear.

Thanks much.

Kristi

Thank you very much Kristi and Sal. I look forward to being over at the Spyderco forum very soon. There are some really great online communities. These 2 are amongst the very best.

Kudos to those who set them up, and the members that make them a really nice place to be.

A lot of the time it is young people who think acting like that will make others respect them. Alpha male syndrome maybe? Act like the biggest, baddest dog and you'll be top of the heap. Too young to understand that being calm and respectful will get you a lot more recognition.

What's the saying? Better to be silent and seen as a fool, rather than opening your mouth and removing all doubt? Something like that.

I used to be that way, typing faster than my brain could think, believing that I knew everything. Now that I'm older I know a bit... Still not enough though!

Big part of the problem is the anonymity of the internet. Keyboard warriors sit behind the computer, without fear of a bloody nose.

Back