Spyderco Forum problem

I feel the Spyderco forum is great overall. The only “problem” is if you are going there for unbiased opinions on a knife you are considering, it can be hard to find any negative criticism as we are all Spydie fans over there, lol! There are criticisms but you have to read through pages of comments to find them sometimes.
For the most part the Spyderco forum has less bickering and rudeness that sometimes seems to overtake threads on this forum. Not that I don’t like it here but seems more folks get carried away here.
As far as how long it takes to be approved to post, I’d much rather a couple days of restriction than constant spam on the forum.

I honestly had no idea there was so much nefarious business going on for the sake of spamming and what-have-you. Rooms full of people spamming and hacking or whatever!? Jeez I am one naive fool...

Right? I can't believe people do stuff like this for a living, instead of just getting a regular job.

Shortly before they started with the restrictions when folks first join, there was an increasing amount of spam posts. It was indeed getting annoying. Since then it been fine, I think I’ve only seen one spam post since.

Hey, everyone:
As the primary person responsible for our forum, I thought I should offer some additional details for clarity. Sal was very kind in giving me some privacy, but I'm willing to share. I was out of the office for a few weeks because my Mom passed away. In all honesty, her health had been rapidly declining for the past several months so I've been in and out of the office quite a bit. Most people are aware that I'm usually online or at least available to be online unless I'm asleep or on a plane :))) but this was different for obvious reasons.

I'm working through close to just over 700 e-mails (not all, of course, are related to the forum) and I'll be getting these issues resolved today. It's possible that the accounts mentioned were not actually banned, but the accounts were shifted into a group that is heavily restricted due to a high number of bounced e-mails - like most forums, we ask that our members provide and maintain a valid e-mail address. Once we have a valid e-mail address, it's easy to reactivate the account.

@Pjake, @dalefuller - this is the case with your accounts - your e-mail addresses weren't valid. I just updated your e-mails to the address that each of you e-mailed me from and moved you out of the bounced e-mail group.

A amateur blacksmith - looks like there was a typo in your username and e-mail address. I've fixed both - your name now matches your name here.

We do moderate new members for a period of time. We utilize several different tools to help us keep the forum safe, and as free of spam as possible. Once upon a time, 99% of spam was generated by bots, but that's not the case now. There are actual people sitting in large rooms filled with computers doing nothing but attempting to disrupt different sites - kind of like the telemarketer phone banks only it's not the dinner-hour that they're trying to ruin. Spammers now copy and paste legitimate posts - some from recent activity and others have gone back more than 10 years - this gives them a better shot at getting through filters. To put some numbers behind this information, our software has blocked more than 23,000 known spam traffickers in just the past 12 hours. On average, it blocks 40-50,000 attempts on our forum every day. Most of these are bots, but there's just enough of them that aren't bots (that can answer questions, math problems, reCAPTCHA, etc.) that make post moderation a requirement to keep the forum safe/clean. We typically approve posts throughout the day, but there can be delays in the evenings, on weekends, and in special circumstances.

Finally, for BigWillie. He was removed for violating rules of our forum. We don't allow harassment or threats.

I hope this clears things up for everyone. If I didn't mention you above, but you sent me an e-mail, hang in there. I'll e-mail you once your account is clear.

Thanks much.

Kristi

Smoke sent. So sorry for your loss.

Thanx much Kristi.

sal

Class act, all around.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the forum? I’m on an iPhone using Safari and it won’t let me in saying “the connection is not private”.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the forum? I’m on an iPhone using Safari and it won’t let me in saying “the connection is not private”.

Seems to be working! PST
Screenshot_2020-06-13-18-18-25.png

The Spyderco Forums has a history of connectivity problems.

Just be patient and it should come back online eventually but there's no way to know when.

Back