1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco & Gardening

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by mitch13, Mar 3, 2019.

1. mitch13

mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    One of my hobbies is gardening a bit of fruit & veg, had a good summer. While doing so I like to use 1 of my spyderco's.
    Does anyone else like to combine their hobbies?

Tasman salt, H1 Dragonfly And mostly altantic salt. I like the spyderedge although my salt is plain edge.
    Great not to have to worry about moisture or sap:thumbsup: give it a good clean at the end of the day all's good.
    Although VG10 holds up well. My first serrated was a 79mm rescue that I got years ago and still use.
    Spyderco's used to be very hard to get here in Oz, has become easier:cool:

Cheers
    Mitch

2. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I really enjoy gardening but our current neighborhood is overrun with ravenous deer. Literally had a group of 8 saunter through the back yard yesterday. :confused:

Still we do herbs and some container gardening every year, and I'm trying to maintain the landsacaping with resistant plants. Never really shy away from any reasonable garden tasks that come up for the Spydie in my pocket at any given moment, but the Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill is my dedicated knife for those types of tasks.

mitch13 likes this.
  3. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I know that others love doing it but I only view gardening as a huge chore and pay a "gardener" to mow the lawns, trim the bushes and pick up leaves (which really isn't "gardening" at all). ;)

Whenever I personally need to "cut" anything in the garden, I just use a pair of clippers, shears, pruner, saw or an electric trimmer; I never use a knife.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    mitch13 likes this.
  4. mitch13

mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    Inkynate- i'm happy to use any spydie but with the heat abd sweating I sure do like the H1.

Mate
    Most people around hear pay someone.
    Mitch

5. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    I do gardening and landscaping professionally and as a hobby on my own property. My old military was a great tool to have on me. Im thinking of using my manix 2 this season.

6. mitch13

mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    Yep
    I think the manix would work well.
    It's versatile.
    Mitch

7. blame it on god

blame it on god

Feb 21, 2013
    I like the spyderhawk for working in the yard/garden. The serrated hawkbill makes short work of everything. It's H1 so rinsing it off is optional. And it's dayglo safety orange so you're not likely to lose it.

Knifeoholic likes this.
  8. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Yeah, I've thought about it many times, actually got spotting on my s30v Sliverax while doing yard work last summer. Uploaded some pics at the time but couldn't find the thread atm. I think it was from the sap or whatever in the burdock I was cutting up rather than sweat or humidity.

At any rate, I've thought about getting more blades in H1 or LC but the salts keep getting bumped for other knives when I have hobby funds. I have a lot of carbon steel blades so I'm used to taking care of corrosion-prone tools and actually like a good patina, so it's not a big deal to me overall. If I was near the ocean instead of in the Midwest, it'd probably be a bigger deal.

OTOH, the orange Spyderhawk might look good with my Fiskars Felco tools (derp)... :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  9. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I owned and operated a landscape company for over a decade. I went through many fazes of different pocket tools. One of the most useful and longest lasting of my pocket tool pairings was an S30V sabre grind Manix 2 in one pocket and a serrated Tasman Salt in another pocket. I used the Manix 2 everyday for over 3 years. It has since been retired. The Tasman Salt still sees a regular work out on my own property.

10. mitch13

mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    My dragonfly & Atlantic are bright handled, never seen a spyderhawk here do like the orange:)

mitch

11. mitch13

mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    inkynate- Nothing wrong with carbon blades:D I've got plenty as well. Yep it's always hard to pick the next 1.
    Midwest?:eek: No the beach is 20 minutes due east from here.
    Mitch

12. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Nice! We generally spend a week a year in OBX. Good times, but also an 11hr drive. :(

13. blame it on god

blame it on god

Feb 21, 2013
    Indoor lighting, bad indoor lighting at that. It's safety orange. It's a beast. (and a pocket hog, like bigger than a manix2 xl)

[​IMG]

Dr-Mabuse likes this.
  14. mitch13

mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    Thanks for the pictures. I'm going to keep an eye out :cool:
    You a south paw too?
    Thanks
    Mitch

15. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I believe @brancron may have the ultimate Spyderco gardening tool. Perhaps he'll grace the thread with a photo.

16. Crimson Cloud

Crimson Cloud Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2018
    I had a lonely wait in an office last week and used my PM2 to remove the parts of the leaves that were dead on a dracaena plant potted next to the chair I was sitting in. The blade cut so well that it was able to trace along the live edges, removing what were mostly dead tips ends from otherwise healthy leaves. It was something I formerly did professionally in maintaining indoor plant installations, but doing it covertly gave me a good use for the knife, and helped to pass the time.

mitch13 likes this.
  17. cabfrank

cabfrank

Jun 21, 2010
    I'm sure the Spyderhawk would be excellent, but it would take a lot for me to bust out a Spyderco Sprint run in the garden.

18. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    I think you were asking the other guy, but I am. Spyderco is the best. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

19. mitch13

mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    The pm2 certainly is a popular :D

20. blame it on god

blame it on god

Feb 21, 2013
    No problem, and yeah I am a lefty.

I bought it to use. It doesn't matter to me if it's covered in dirt or fish guts. It's just a knife.

jpm2 likes this.