1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco & Gardening

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by mitch13, Mar 3, 2019.

1. cabfrank

cabfrank

Jun 21, 2010
    You're right, and that is what they were made for, but it would take me a while to get there with a Sprint.

2. mitch13

mitch13 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2004
    I didn't realise it was a sprint run till I did search, thought it was just discontinued.
    Personal preference whether or not to use. I would as I already use custom 1 off's that I have.

Go the lefties.:D:D:D

Mitch

3. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Another lefty in Oz checking in.;):thumbsup:

Yeah I like gardening as well.

These have been some of my favourite Spydies for that task:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The heat and humidity over summer in this part of Victoria has given me mild rust spotting on S30V and even S110V, so the Salts are great knives for those conditions.

Now it’s cooling down, I’ve been using this:

[​IMG]

Great knife for trimming leaves and harvesting fruit and veg and general garden tasks.:thumbsup:

4. mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    Cambertree.
    Great pics. Is that a UKPk in serrated alongside the tasman? You don't see many, nice.
    The 1 your using now will work well on those tomatoes :D
    Hasn't really cooled here yet, had a cool day yesterday, today back to around 30.
    Thanks for sharing
    Mitch

5. David Richardson

David Richardson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Interesting question. I just ordered a Serrata. Cutting up plants is one the planned uses for it. I live next to a small forested area. All kinds of stuff creeps into my yard and I have to cut it back. I'm tired of using shears - too slow and too hard on the hand. A machete is too large for cutting things like blackberry vines into smaller pieces. Most pocket knives are too small, and I don't need a folder in my yard. (Maybe a kukri would work well for this task?)

Cambertree likes this.
  6. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Thanks Mitch. Yeah that's a UKPK in Gin1 steel. I grow chillis (peppers to our US friends), which need to constantly have their leaves trimmed, both to train them to grow outwards and shrub up, and to get them to produce hotter pods. That nimble drop point is great for reaching into tight spaces to cut off a single leaf or pod without damaging anything else. It's got a nice, slightly longer section of PE at the tip too than most of the SE models.

Yeah that Para3 with a thinned out, coarsely finished Maxamet edge is a surprisingly great tool for de-coring tomatoes and slicing them into wedges.

Cool thread man, enjoy that weather. The rain and cool change here came just in time considering the bushfires close by.

dc50 likes this.
  7. mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    David - i reckon the Serrata would work great , nice shape and 440c should hold up well for corrosion resistance.

Cambertree, nothing wrong with hot things. I to grow chillis.
    I'll enjoy the weather but it's always good when bushfire season is over.
    Mitch

Cambertree likes this.
  8. David Richardson

Nov 30, 2018
    It's cast 440C rather than commonly used rolled 440C. Less toughness but an inherently toothy edge that will cut fibrous material for a long time. It's also a thick blade (6mm) - will have to see how that works. Here's what Phil Wilson had to say on the Spyderco Forum:

Cambertree likes this.
  9. brancron

brancron

Dec 14, 2011
    You have beckoned and I have come! I present to one and all the Spyderco Whale Rescue Fixed Blade (Garden Edition):

[​IMG]

Here it is next to a Spyderhawk Salt:

[​IMG]

Got the blade for $76 on Arizona Custom Knives. A fellow by the name of AgarthaAudio on reddit's knifeclub refashioned the tip to turn it into a hawkbill, then Knockwood Blades put the orange G10 handles on for me. The thing is an absolute beast in the garden. Incredibly sharp (i.e. shaving sharp), and just glides through plant matter. I took a swipe at an overgrown patch of bamboo and it was like slicing through soft carrots. A lot of fun to play with!

10. mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    David, I'm looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

Brancron- That is cooool.
    Looks like you put a bit thought in to what you wanted. The orange sets it off, nice thick scales make it look comfortable to use. removable for cleaning I assume with the screws.

Thanks for sharing
    mitch

brancron likes this.
  11. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Wow. The spyderhawk is by no means small, but that thing is an absolute MONSTER.

12. David Richardson

Nov 30, 2018
    Agree - that whale rescue knife is really cool. Never considered using one of those for plants. I tend to shy away from serrated blades because I assume they are difficult to sharpen. That thing is a monster!

13. tjsblade

tjsblade

Oct 5, 2012
    My outdoor gardening knife is a manix lightweight with maxamet blade. I keep it sharpened to a toothier edge .
    Works great .

David Richardson and Cambertree like this.
  14. mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    It's good to see and hear so many varieties used in the garden :thumbsup::D
    Cheers
    Mitch

15. mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    Starting to sort out images:)

[​IMG]

Cambertree and inkynate like this.
  16. bdmicarta

bdmicarta

Feb 16, 2012
    My weekend work/utility knife is a Manix 2 with uncoated M4 blade. If you carry it clipped in your pocket while working and sweating in the yard, the blade will rust very quickly. (But it isn't hard to clean off the rust.)

17. mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    That will work well. Yyou would probably get a nice patina on it too
    I haven't tried m4 yet but read good rhings.
    Mitch

18. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    In the garden it may get dirty, scratched and gritty.... I take mine climbing for cutting rope and other cordages when cleaning belay stations and such. So go figure. You may hear about a Spyderco Sprint run falling in the Alpes nowhere to be found again! Before aI bought that one, I was using a Spyderco Rescue Wave. Much smarter choice probably... XD

That's a steal!!!

brancron likes this.
  19. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    We've had some threads over at Spyderco.com singing the praises of using H-1 Hawkbill blades like the SPYDERHAWK, HARPY, TASMAN ect for lawn and landscaping chores. I've personally found at least 4 Serrated Spyderco models to be ideal for a wide range of lawn, garden and landscaping chores.

Most of the guys on the threads were mostly touting the models out of the H-1 Salt Series which is understandable. But there are a lot of Spyderco folders and fixed blades that have a lot of potential in the demands of Lawn, Garden & Landscaping chores.

sliceofaloha likes this.
  20. mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    Agreed
    I Like the h1 probably cause I'm slack.
    More than once i have come in to clean up and forget to clean my knife till the next day. :eek::D
    Mitch