Spyderco Gayle Bradley 2

Another departure with the GB2 that I've seen no mention of: no lanyard hole. I will miss that, personally.

Another departure with the GB2 that I've seen no mention of: no lanyard hole. I will miss that, personally.

I don't use 'em but I wonder why they omitted the feature.
The GB2 is a slick EDC. It doesn't feel "hard-use" so some may miss that. On the other hand, it has a more neutral balance and I really appreciate the slimmer profile.

I like to use small lanyards made from reflective paracord--makes it a lot easier to find in the dark if need be.

On balance I prefer the 2 though. EDC is the whole point of folding knives imo. If I can't conveniently carry it every day, it might as well be a fixed blade.

Just got my new 2 tonight, and have a few thoughts.
It feels smaller in hand, mostly due to the height of the handles (and maybe 1mm thinner). Weight is also significantly less - and interestingly, they were not as aggressive drilling holes in the liner. I think this is a good thing, as too light would shift the balance.
The grind is beautiful!
Opening and closing... on the fence.
I loosened my pivot a touch, and it opens easily. I am a bit bothered that the handle flares wider right at the hole when closed, effectively obstructing part it. I can imagine gloves will make it a bit difficult to open?
Closing is easier than my GB1, which I often needed two hands to close. Yes, I have sissy thumbs evidently. If I think about it, I can close the gb2 one handed without looking.

Seems kinda odd to me - if you have big strong thumbs, closing will be a cinch but opening may be a bit more difficult. Reverse is true. Not sure if some specimens have more or less lock bar tension?

Bottom line - I traded my gb1 a year ago, and the gb2 is a much better knife for me (ergos, weight, the fact that I can close it...). Biggest difference is I fell in love with the gb1 the first time I held it. The gb2 is more refined, but didn't hit me with that same jolt.

Just wanted to add - after about a week, both opening and closing are much easier. Maybe my thumbs are finally toughening up!

Last edited:
13407dbc4adc51cebd2fdbab16d4c8fa.jpg

So much better now. As soon as I get this off to Spketch it will be my perfect knife I think.

Well, my GB2 just arrived - first experience with BladeHQ - they were absolutely wonderful! Came way before I expected and they threw in a small little gift.

Out of the box - I think everyone has already touched the differences - and they are all accurate, for the thumb hole is not to far down that it makes it hard to open, the lock - rather hard to depress I am guessing that it will get easier though, all in all - GB1 stays in safe, GB I am going to use as is for now, then force the patina that I talked about. I like it better as an EDC for the reasons others have stated as well.

Last edited:
I was charged for my KW pre order today, and my order has changed to "partially shipped." I wonder which part they shipped...

Back