Spyderco Gayle Bradley 2

And to add my very personal opinion, I'm happy to see that the 2 is so good looking in person. I've always thought that the GB1 was one of the most awkward looking of all the Spydercos, but owners seemed to love it so universally. I could never get myself to buy the original because it was just so ugly to me. It's amazing that with just a few small tweaks it is so much better looking now, even sexy (in my eyes, anyway). Can't wait to get mine.

And to add my very personal opinion, I'm happy to see that the 2 is so good looking in person. I've always thought that the GB1 was one of the most awkward looking of all the Spydercos, but owners seemed to love it so universally. I could never get myself to buy the original because it was just so ugly to me. It's amazing that with just a few small tweaks it is so much better looking now, even sexy (in my eyes, anyway). Can't wait to get mine.
I'm the same way, but the wait for the GB2 finally made me give in and buy the GB. I like mine a lot after a little work, but the GB2 is definitely a better fit for me.
3e1bd16782be05eacee2f95c34a2b632.jpg

Can you comment - have you noticed much difference between them? Specifically ease of opening and ease of closing? Thanks.

I still have two here, as I bought two as gifts. Two were from the Spyderco Factory Store and one I got online. All three seemed very similar out of the box, if not identical. The one I'm keeping, as to be expected, is now quite a bit smoother than when new.

The GB2 looks like a sensible, attractive, and functional knife, which is what everyone really needs.......however the GB1 still has that quirkiness that made it a unique offering, that the GB2 just doesn't seem to have as much to my eyes. Sure the differences are very subtle, but it was the subtle differences that set the GB1 apart. The average user will undoubtably appreciate the more straight-forward design apparent in the GB2, but I think the real devoted knife-nuts that want something different in their pocket will perhaps gravitate towards the original article. Just some thoughts, and maybe a tiny bit more lament of the death of the GB1. It was a knife that certainly made one think "now that is something different!" for better or worse. OK I've said my peace....I'll shut up about it now....RIP GB1, hello GB2!

She was a looker (from the right angle), mind you:
IMG_2438_zpsixo9hyko.jpg

Last edited:
The GB2 looks like a sensible, attractive, and functional knife, which is what everyone really needs.......however the GB1 still has that quirkiness that made it a unique offering, that the GB2 just doesn't seem to have as much to my eyes. Sure the differences are very subtle, but it was the subtle differences that set the GB1 apart. The average user will undoubtably appreciate the more straight-forward design apparent in the GB2, but I think the real devoted knife-nuts that want something different in their pocket will perhaps gravitate towards the original article. Just some thoughts, and maybe a tiny bit more lament of the death of the GB1. It was a knife that certainly made one think "now that is something different!" for better or worse. OK I've said my peace....I'll shut up about it now....RIP GB1, hello GB2!

She was a looker (from the right angle), mind you:

I feel the same way. Most of my knives are straight designs. I gravitate towards that. The GB2 is, for me at least, a different knife than the original. Especially if one watches Gayle Bradley discuss the design on the 1.

Will still pick up the GB2 in future though and appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts on the knife thus far.

19455aaa0e18dae776ddadf2ed3b7b42.jpg

I was charged for my KW pre order today, and my order has changed to "partially shipped." I wonder which part they shipped...
They are receiving that batch in tomorrow and sending them on their way. I had an issue with the card I pre-ordered with and was told that info. Partially shipped probably means they have a label made up for it, so they can turn it right around.

I love my Gayle Bradley, so of course I had to break down and order a GB2. After receiving it and checking it over for a couple of days, I sent it on to a new home here on the Exchange. I wanted to love the GB2, but I just didn't. One of the supposed knocks on the GB1 is that it isn't easy to close with one hand, although I never had a problem doing so with mine. However, the GB2 that I received, far from "correcting" the problem, was actually considerably harder to close with one hand than my GB1.

At first, I thought the GB2 looked "sexier" than the GB1. It kind of does. It has sleeker lines, is thinner, and so on.

But once I got them both in hand, closed my eyes, and felt each one carefully ... it was no contest. The GB1 was the obvious choice for me.

The GB2 is a nice knife, mind you. I'm not trying to knock it, and congrats to all who got one or will get one. But for me, it's about the feel and function of the knife, not the looks. Once I "got" the GB1 by feel, its looks made more sense.

According to Spyderco:

"Someone once said to Sal Glesser, Spyderco's owner, 'You must design in the dark because your knives look so strange.' True.... Our recognizable appearance is a result of designing ergonomic functional tools rather than applying lipstick and nylons to a pocketknife. We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."

- from https://www.spyderco.com/about/

I've always respected Spyderco for designing knives for function first, and have no doubt that the GB1 is amazing. Some, after modifications are actually pretty nice looking. In this case, I have heard so much good about the original, that to see such a great looking sequel had me putting money down before any were even produced. I'm looking forward to owning the "son of" such a great and highly regarded knife.

They are receiving that batch in tomorrow and sending them on their way. I had an issue with the card I pre-ordered with and was told that info. Partially shipped probably means they have a label made up for it, so they can turn it right around.

I hope so, I'd love to get it soon.

I just got my shipment ready email!!! I can't wait! :D

Me too. I thought it was funny that the status went from partially shipped to ready to ship. Sounds backwards to me, but as long as I eventually get my knife, I don't care.

Hey July pre-order knifeworks crowd I just got my ups tracking number today. I'm thinking it will be min by the weekend. Wow that was a long wait!

So long that I almost destroyed a new DMT bench stone re-profiling my Contego. It will be interesting to see the deference in Benchmade vs Spydie heat treat.

I'm in the June pre-order KW crowd and just got my ready to ship notice today (it was listed as partially shipped for 2 days).
I'm just glad to be getting it soon.
It will join my GB1. Also recently picked up a Mantra2 (and already have an Air) - love what Spyderco is doing with M4!

Short on time, but I snapped a few comparison and nudie shots. This one is a winner for sure! Liners are about .5mm thinner than the GB1, still plenty thick at 1.3mm.
Still don't understand why the original had to be discontinued, but way to go on this one spyderco crew!

Thanks for the side-by-side shots; those were helpful. The handle differences are significant. I have to say that overall I prefer the look of the GB1 but I like the addition of something to stop the hand from sliding forward onto the blade on the GB2. I have a GB1 without skeletonized liners and I'm torn on whether or not to get a GB2.

My GB1 is the older version with solid liners as well. The weight difference between it and the new model is significant. I don't feel this one shaking around in my pocket with my movements, which annoys me.

Just set mine up with some sage peel ply g10. Brought the scales out to the liners and drilled a lanyard hole. This won't leave my pocket for a good while.

Very nice Spketch. Mine is with Mmans0311 waiting on you to pretty it up too.

Back