Spyderco Gayle Bradley 2

Oooo, I like that! ^^^ (the Blackwood scales on the previous page that is, since my arrows don't seem to be pointing to anything) :eek:

That blackwood changes the feel completely, huh? I had him do that on my GB1 and love it. GB2 is currently with him for some wood upgrades too

That blackwood changes the feel completely, huh? I had him do that on my GB1 and love it. GB2 is currently with him for some wood upgrades too

Yea it does. It feels great. Being flush with the liners feels better, especially on the 2. It's been hard to put down. Just an amazing transformation. Not just a better feel but a much better look, I couldn't be happier. I'm currently brainstorming on how I want my GB 1 done.

You guys are making me want to get a matching set of GB1-2 with OD Green Canvas micarta. Staaaaahp. :eek:

Got my "ready to ship" notification from KW yesterday, so excited to get this one in my hands finally! (late Oct. preorder)

Dunno, not to be a Debbie downer, but I don't see a big design improvement over the 1. Smaller spydie hole, I see the handle shape of the 1 as being better due to the ability of choking up right next to the cutting edge. And the skeletonized liners.
I have 2 gb 1s , don't think I'll be purchasing a 2

It's all about preference. I prefer the GB2 because it is lighter and longer than the original. They both have skeletonized liners.

Dunno, not to be a Debbie downer, but I don't see a big design improvement over the 1. Smaller spydie hole, I see the handle shape of the 1 as being better due to the ability of choking up right next to the cutting edge. And the skeletonized liners.
I have 2 gb 1s , don't think I'll be purchasing a 2

My hope is that the GB2 maybe opens the door for some GB1 sprint runs. Call me crazy, but a black DLC GB1, with OD green G10 handles, would be a Grail for me.

My review of the Gayle Bradley 2 folder

I've had this for a few weeks and I've carried it every day since I received it (usually in tandem with a smaller folder). I never encountered a GB1 before, so the only comparisons I can make to it are visual differences. I don't think they were designed to fulfill the same roles though (albeit with significant overlap in usage), so I rather judge this knife on its own merits anyway.

Design:
I'm normally averse to large folders (as a single office edc option), but this one really does it for me. Between the CF/G10 scale, proud liners, and elegant lines, it's a very, very beautiful blade. My hand fits comfortably on the handle in a variety of positions, with or without gloves. The blade and tang all flow into and with the handle open or closed, and it makes me wish for this design to filter down to a small/medium size (Caly 3/Chaparral) too. The slight negative angle on the blade and the belly makes approaching material pretty easy on the wrist. The long flat of the edge gives it a good pull cut distance.

This knife has basically satisfied and extinguished any craving that I had for a Sebenza or Benchmade 940-1.

Fit and Finish:
Taichung fit and finish is easily one of the best <$400 displays of production craftsmanship and machining prowess out there. Everything on the knife, machining-wise was perfect. the proud liners are slightly rounded and polished, so it doesn't bite. The Spyderhole is quite crisp, but evenly done. Swedges line up perfectly in location and depth.

Not so great are my edge bevels; they were a bit off out of the box, especially about 3-4 mm out from the ricasso. It was very obtuse there, and especially so on the right side of the blade compared to the left. It still cut, but reprofiling to 30 degrees inclusive has been a chore.

Performance:
The hollow grind makes for a very slim edge. I don't have calipers but Gayle mentioned they're thinner behind the edge than on the GB1. It's not as tanky looking as the GB1, but so far I've been soaring through cardboard and small sticks and pencils with aplomb. The working edge on the M4 stays there for a good long while without deformation at 30 degrees inclusive. I haven't brought the knife to outright dullness yet. The lock is rock solid but I haven't really stressed it with pressure because the edge is just cutting through material with less pressure than I'm used to applying.

Deployment:
My knife came out of the box slightly gritty. As you can see from the posts above, it was relatively easy to fix. Some G10 or CF dust was captured by the grease/oil that was applied to the blade for transit and made their way into the pivot/bushing area. I haven't taken it apart to really give it a cleaning (I can't seem to open it), but it's so smooth right now I don't feel that is necessary.

As noted above, the detent is a bit easy to overcome.

Unlocking the knife was tough the first few days. My thumb was already callousing from working the Positron's lock, but it got a whole new level of toughness practicing on the GB2. It's solid, but not overly difficult. The lock jimping really digs into the thumb meat during the push.

Carry:
The standard spoon pocket clip is harder to tuck into my jeans than the deep-carry wire clip that I'm used to. Quite a bit of knife juts out in tip up carry (less so in tip down, but displays a wider). The dip in the clip is in a great spot though when using the knife.

The GB2 carries quite slimly in pocket in both dimensions and is really light for it's looks.

Wow, what a comprehensive review. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Wow, what a comprehensive review. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Thanks, jascolli =) I wrote it at work (shh). I wish I had cut more stuff (and filmed it), but I believe the usual video reviewers will be getting on that shortly.

Still waiting on this one. Hoping it shows up by Saturday for our central TX get together. Check out my signature if you are in the area and can make it
bc98169258b5191a1802255673fa1ac2.jpg
30852707fcf369d77e5a6fa1ffe7701d.jpg

New clip!
bn3tpQR.jpg

I finally managed to get the screws out. No loctite. I just had a driver handle that was too narrow to provide sufficient torque.
osImwqm.jpg

Pivot system is pretty much the same as the Techno: pivot pin + two phosphor bronze washers, pivot screws;
Stop pin rolls slightly. Self-adjusting! The handle scales have handy inset placer pins.

This was my second takedown (didn't have time for photos the first time). It was a bit dirty in there with all the CF/G-10 dust from the factory, and the excess mineral oil that seeped from pivot to between the scales and liners.

My ball is flat. This is not a problem.
If you get a bit confused about which way the liners face, the finish on the inside of the liner is random (and probably not super flat), while the 'outside' scale-facing side is polished flat with horizontal pulls.
pqgsmG4.jpg

Ds are the standoffs. They are a bit finicky to reassemble so pay attention to which standoff came from which spot, as well as the D fitting (one side only). One standoff might fit fine into one liner at that spot, but might not on the other side.
lPkk0Rp.jpg

Route on! Liner lock side scale.
3qH4hSz.jpg

I went with the short black clip on mine. The deep carry is so much better on this knife.
2ace9186cb5f5c6cc24ece8c09cde643.jpg

Back