Spyderco General Chat Thread

Sweet!

Since I got my DB, I have been really interested in Terzuola folders. I also have been looking into the Starmate. It really reminds me of the Gayle Bradley. I was wondering if any of you have a Starmate, would you consider it in the same class as the GB?

I have an original Starmate. Also the GB. I wouldn't really compare them in the same category exactly. Starmate is almost closer to a Military in dimensions and size. Yet still much lighter than the GB.

Bob T's designs are some of my favorites, as very understated and simplistic designs. Clean.
I also have an old small Terzuola, similar size to the DB, but not quite as stout.
REALLY hoping that one day Spyderco can bring the designs forward with modern materials Sprint version. Maybe HAP40! :D
I may pick up a newer version double liner Starmate, since I like the design so much. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I could try to snap some photos later for size comparison if you were interested.

Sweet!

Since I got my DB, I have been really interested in Terzuola folders. I also have been looking into the Starmate. It really reminds me of the Gayle Bradley. I was wondering if any of you have a Starmate, would you consider it in the same class as the GB?

I've been wondering this myself. The Starmate has been in my sights for some time now...

I have an original Starmate. Also the GB. I wouldn't really compare them in the same category exactly. Starmate is almost closer to a Military in dimensions and size. Yet still much lighter than the GB.

Bob T's designs are some of my favorites, as very understated and simplistic designs. Clean.
I also have an old small Terzuola, similar size to the DB, but not quite as stout.
REALLY hoping that one day Spyderco can bring the designs forward with modern materials Sprint version. Maybe HAP40! :D
I may pick up a newer version double liner Starmate, since I like the design so much. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I could try to snap some photos later for size comparison if you were interested.

Heck yeah! If its not too much trouble, that would be interesting to see. I did see some YT vid reviews, which were mostly positive, and I did notice the size, but I did not think it was "millie" sized. Hmmm. Yeah, it's gonna be too big for what I normally like, but, it does look like the DB's big brother so....

I've been wondering this myself. The Starmate has been in my sights for some time now...

It just recently entered mine, being so close in resemblance to the Double Bevel yet looking strangley like a Gayle Bradley. I'm still going to get a Bradley. I just can't not have a Gayle Bradley, ya know?

It just recently entered mine, being so close in resemblance to the Double Bevel yet looking strangley like a Gayle Bradley. I'm still going to get a Bradley. I just can't not have a Gayle Bradley, ya know?

Oh. I do. I DO know. :D

Oh. I do. I DO know. :D

:thumbup::D

Quick comparison photo for reference.
2015-05-31%2021.24.03_zpsksdiuypl.jpg

Forgot to shoot one of all of them closed.
Also keep in mind that the newer Starmate got a little beefier.

Quick comparison photo for reference.
2015-05-31%2021.24.03_zpsksdiuypl.jpg

Forgot to shoot one of all of them closed.
Also keep in mind that the newer Starmate got a little beefier.

No worries. This view is just fine. Thanks!! I saw in the catalog the Starmate was new and improved. I like it, and I would not turn one away, but the GB has a higher preference in my "needed" lineup.

It seems now the GB2 will even more closely resemble the handle of the Starmate.

Has it been confirmed if the original GB design will get disco'ed once the GB2 drops? If so, do yourself a favor and pick one up now before hysteria sets in with the cult followers and they begin hoarding Bradley folders like they're tickets to the next life and prices skyrocket. It's still amazing to me how low the pricing and resale is on the Bradley, yet more people don't own one??

It seems now the GB2 will even more closely resemble the handle of the Starmate.

Has it been confirmed if the original GB design will get disco'ed once the GB2 drops? If so, do yourself a favor and pick one up now before hysteria sets in with the cult followers and they begin hoarding Bradley folders like they're tickets to the next life and prices skyrocket. It's still amazing to me how low the pricing and resale is on the Bradley, yet more people don't own one??

I resemble that remark.

... :eek:

I resemble that remark.

... :eek:

Haha, resemble, or resent? Don't take it personally! I might find myself scrambling to grab an extra as well!
You're just simply an enthusiast to the core there, which is not a bad thing at all. :)
Just calling it like I see it. Happens with a lot of knives that get disco'ed, but it does drive collector prices up and detracts from users...

Haha, resemble, or resent? Don't take it personally! I might find myself scrambling to grab an extra as well!
You're just simply an enthusiast to the core there, which is not a bad thing at all. :)
Just calling it like I see it. Happens with a lot of knives that get disco'ed, but it does drive collector prices up and detracts from users...

Hahaha! Definitely resemble. No offense taken at all man! I chuckled 'cause your statement was so true of me. :D I'm as compulsive as they come.

I'm beginning to think that the two GBs may stay in production simultaneously. They're rather different knives, so it'd make sense.

Hahaha! Definitely resemble. No offense taken at all man! I chuckled 'cause your statement was so true of me. :D I'm as compulsive as they come.

I'm beginning to think that the two GBs may stay in production simultaneously. They're rather different knives, so it'd make sense.

Well, wait until the GB Flipper drops, then there will be a triple trio of folders and a big fixie as well! I could see, and hope, the original GB sticking around. :D

I wish we could see a Bradley design with even more handle drop, like a Schempp infused Bradley design, of course in M4! Man, that would be primo!

Well, wait until the GB Flipper drops, then there will be a triple trio of folders and a big fixie as well! I could see, and hope, the original GB sticking around. :D

I wish we could see a Bradley design with even more handle drop, like a Schempp infused Bradley design, of course in M4! Man, that would be primo!

I sure hope the original ticks around. Its funny you mention Bradley and Schempp. I jus watched a nutnfancy video where he interviewed both of them. Interesting thoughts and design went into the Schempp Bowie. It was nice to hear Schempp talk about it at length. Check it out

[video=youtube;dKqkIVdH4Kg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKqkIVdH4Kg[/video]

I just coincidentally read on Spyderco forum where a member who had attended the Amsterdam Meet, where the GB2 debuted I believe, had mentioned the GB will be replaced by the GB2... not produced alongside eachother.

I just coincidentally read on Spyderco forum where a member who had attended the Amsterdam Meet, where the GB2 debuted I believe, had mentioned the GB will be replaced by the GB2... not produced alongside eachother.

Yeah that's the reason I've been saying I think they won't keep producing GB senior.

There are plenty of GB1's floating around. They won't be in short supply for years.

This is not disheartening, for sure. Thanks Barman1!

Back