Spyderco giveaway challenge....

I was responding to a thread on the Spyderco forum today and it got me thinking about how we go about our "knife collecting" hobby. Without getting too philosophical though, I will just make my suggestion.

For anyone who would like to participate, I'd like to challenge you to give away one of your Spyderco knives. I have done this many times as I'm sure many of you on here have too. For any of you who have not yet experienced the joy of sharing this passion with another person, I welcome you to join in and give it a shot.

Obviously you can do whatever you want with your knives, but for the sake of this thread, I would like folks to give away one of their Spydercos to someone that is not on the forums. Maybe even someone who would not normally have the wherewithal to buy the knife on their own, but I'll leave that up to each individual. You can post up here about who you gave the knife to, how it made everybody feel, etc. The point is not to have a contest over who is being the most generous or noble (because that would kind of defeat our purpose) but just to have a thread where we share a little fun and joy...that of both the recipient and the giver.

I have a new Dragonfly Salt that I am going to share with one of the local surfers here. He was a friend that was in a terrible motorcycle accident a couple of years ago and lost the use of his legs. I take him kayak fishing several times a month and he is obsessed with it and is very good at it. Best of all, once he's in the kayak he is as good as new since he doesn't need the legs. Anyway, I have hooked him up on fishing gear and I know he will be beyond stoked with the little Dragonfly Salt! I will post up pics and story in the next few days when it happens. Lets get this going!!! :)

My friend Ismael with his new rod and reel. ;) Dragonfly pics coming up!!

Awesome Lance! Just awesome!! Have given away at least 5 Spydies to friends and customers......feels great when you see the look on their face......and when they realize they had no clue what a sharp knife is!!!
Joe

Nice! I gave a Delica 4 ZDP-189 to a friend of me, and I gave a purple Delica 4 to my sister use to learn appreciate a good knife! :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I gave my brother my delica then bought another one which I ended up drunkenly giving to my friend. It's all good though, now they are both spyderco fans and use them all the time. Won't be giving away my pm2 though ;)

The first knife I ever gave away was the first Spyderco I ever bought. I gave it to my brother who would never buy a knife but found it to be incredibly useful. It was a tenacious. It was the knife that got me hooked. Later I gave him a para 2 because I got tired of touching up the 8cr13mov all the time. He eventually lost both (he's a pretty irresponsible 40 year old). He wants another but I think it's time he ponies up the cash for one himself!

The other two times I've given away a knife was when I mailed a dragonfly to a buddy of mine that I grew up with. I know at first he thought it was a silly little thing but over time he started to really appreciate it as he used it.

And the last time was on a training trip for work down in the states. I met a guy down there that was also from Canada. I ranted and raved so much about Spyderco I figured he deserved something in exchange for putting up with me. The thing was, he only had one hand so he seemed to like that the knife was able to be opened one handed. It was an FRN UKPK.

Thanks for the thread Lance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention the caly 3 I gave to a buddy at work for his bday :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gave a Kiwi to my buddy at work. He had been saying for a while that he needed a good knife so I figured instead of recommending something I would throw him a blade I didn't normally use. He seemed really happy with it and still has it as far as I know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

My 16 yr old son recently came to visit me for the first time since I relocated to another state. Since he only had a Leatherman that I had given him when I moved out (divorce) I decided to buy him a Delica. He was very happy with it but also took a liking to the Persistence that I had due to the G10 and liner lock. So the night before he went back to IL I told to keep the Persistence too. As far as I know he's really happy with both knives. I'll likely get him a PM2 when he graduates Marine boot camp in the fall.

Great stories everyone! I know that most of us on here have more knives than we will use in this lifetime so my hope is that this thread will encourage us all to look through our collections and more importantly to look around at the people in our lives and make some folks happy and create some new Spyderco lovers. I know that you guys will be doing more "knife gifting" over time so maybe you can post up here when you do with pics or stories. Again, I don't want to make out like we are being heroic or anything, haha, I just wanted to start an encouraging thread where we could share some good vibes. ;)

at March 2016 I gave my Atlantic Salt to Justine Curgenven, a lady from Wales which went kayaking from Sorong to Nabire at West Papua, Indonesia. She was accompanying Sandy Robson - which trying to break the record as the first woman who paddle from Germany to Australia. I met them first time at Manokwari as their host and was seeing them until they left Wondama Bay (part of Cendrawasih Bay - whale shark haven!) Sandy already own a Tasman Salt and Justine haven't heard of Spyderco yet! cool thing is Justine even bring the knife I gave her to paddle at North America last month.

1536524_10209296452355053_2324440966489703279_n.jpg

Sandy with her 9yr old Tasman Salt and Justine with her new Atlantic Salt

1924049_10209296452595059_6395040785723370796_n.jpg

they embarked from Manokwari

10422085_10209302437184670_8909622470407099185_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm giving a new Dragonfly Salt to my father in law soon. He carries some old case folder and has no idea how far modern blades have come. He lives on the coast and hopefully will get some good use out of the H1 blade :)

Great idea, Surf!
H1 just seems to be a perfect gift for so many "non-knife" people. My boss received a dragonfly salt for her birthday. She climbs with it, and reported back that on top of amountain, a friend asked to borrow a knife. When she produced the Dragonfly, the skeptical friend raised an eyebrow, "that little thing?" The friend had to apologize when the serrated H1 turned into a pocket chainsaw, and couldn't believe when my boss claimed to never have to clean it!

I gave/sent a hair whittling Delica ZDP-189 to my oldest son along with the hair I had whittled with it, below is his response; he had initially sent me a cheapo knife for me to sharpen for him...

I got your package this past weekend, thank-you so much! I'm sorry I didn't know the ____ blade was such cheap quality, I sent it because I have two of them and I was hoping to compare your sharpening system to what I've tried and your note makes a lot of sense now why I was having such trouble keeping an edge on this thing.

I really appreciate you sending along the Spyderco knife, thank-you! It's really shocking what a difference good metal makes; cheap _____ crap or quality Japanese steel.

I also thought the hair you sent was funny. I saw that first when opening the note and tried to pick it off as I thought it was in there by mistake. Then I realized it was taped on, then I read the note. Very very cool. Part of me wants to make that my new every day carry but another part wants to keep it for when ____ is old enough : )

I'm going to try and call later tonight if that's okay to thank you "in person". I just wanted to send this quick email to let you know I got it and really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Sam

P.S. I guess now I can clone you? Hehe.

Bought my stepfather a SE Pacific Salt as a birthday preseny because he's a devout Abalone diver and I knew he could use the salt in the ocean in case of emergency. Its been 2 months and he still raves about how thoughtful of a gift it was, and how much it means to him.

Until you have a good knife, its hard to appreciate what makes a Spyderco better than your avetage $5 walmart.

Cool thread Surfin :thumbup:

A mate's currently doing me a favor. He's a great guy and is a long standing member of our local volunteer fire brigade, he doesn't know it yet but I'm getting him a Salt Assist. He's gonna love it.

OK that's not giving away one of my Spydercos unprompted as the OP was suggesting, but I'm glad to be doing it.

A retired uncle I gave my Delica to a while back seems to love it. Couple of times he has mailed it back to me for sharpening and it's obviously getting plenty of use. I'm honestly chuffed he is enjoying having it.

I donated two Enduras I had for many years to another forum member who gave them away here on BFC, but in a different sub.

I think at some point during this year I might give away another Spydie. I have just the recipient in mind.

Not a recent giveaway, but I gave my Endura 4 to my boyfriend a couple of years ago. He's a knife and sword enthusiast but he had his swords stolen a while back and he's only been able to afford a couple of economy brand knives since. He'd never heard of Spyderco so I knew I had to introduce him. :D

Technically, the very first Spyderco I gave him was a Civilian, but that was a new one that I bought and not one of my own. He saw it online and casually mentioned that he loved the look of it, so I got it for him for our first Valentine's Day. Romantic I am not, but at least I know what he likes.:p When he received it, he was floored by the quality and was pretty much a Spyderco convert after that.

Later, I gave him my Endura because I don't really care for that model and I knew he'd appreciate it more than I did and would actually use it. It's been his EDC since.

I also plan to give my Dad one of the Salt series knives soon. I found out he has an ancient little no name folding knife that he keeps in the shed out back for opening bags of fertilizer or cutting string off of... whatever gardening type things come wrapped in string and I'm thinking an upgrade to a Spyderco is in order.

This is a great idea, Lance. I like to gift to deployed military and younger (i.e. "needy") law enforcement officers. :thumbup:

Back